Link sucks.

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
-Johnick-
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by -Johnick- »

Putting the "who's coolest" issue aside, Heiachi is the best fighter of the 3.He's the best character in the game for rings outs, and his punch combos do huge amounts of damage, plus he can juggle like a mofo.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

|darc| wrote:
Jeeba Jabba wrote:
impetus wrote:spawn cooler than link? :roll:

hoo, boy

A demon sent back from Hell, posessed, and using chains, firearms, and hellfire as his weapons... versus a boy from the woods in a green tunic and tights.

You decide.
Erm... Nintendo's main character is an Italian in blue overalls running through pipes buy that doesn't mean he isn't cool.
Cool in a different sense.... Yes.

But, like spag said... Link just doesn't fit in among the other SC chars.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
spaghetti
DCEmu's #1 Cher fan
DCEmu's #1 Cher fan

Post by spaghetti »

I'm not saying Link isn't cool in his own way. He is cool, though the more "realistic" Nintendo tries to make him the more pathetic he looks. I much prefer the way he's been stylized in Wind Waker over the previous realistic trend.

Link is fine and good and all, but he doesn't belong in the Soul Calibur universe!

He goes against everything that makes Soul Calibur cool. Soul Calibur is mature, the characters are interesting and complex, and while they aren't over-sexualized like Dead or Alive, they are still subtly physical in that regard. The overall style of the game is very engaging... it's full of deep colors and textures and worlds. And it's strangely consistent while different throughout. Sure, some characters are way off the bat, but they fit in somehow.

Link doesn't. There is nothing subtly sexual about a guy in white tights and a green hat. His colors alone don't even fit into the game. And the elf ears?! All the other character stories still retain a human/realistic/historical edge. This just doesn't fit! He just screams "GIMMICK GIMMICK GIMMICK!" and it screws with the overall mood of the game. From the screenshots he literally glares against the moody backgrounds and scenery. In any screenshots with other characters, he sticks out like a drag queen at an Amish church social.

He just doesn't fit at all. Nintendo/Namco just shoved him into the game for a quick Gimmick. And they've bastardized the whole mood of the game by hyping him up so badly. They butchered the box art, and I would rather swallow cow vomit than hang a poster of him anywhere in my presense.

Spawn and the Tekken guy don't drift this far from the Soul Calibur style, so they fit in fine. And luckily the cover art from those versions isn't b&stardized like the Gamecube one.

~sigh~

When I finally catch up with Jeeba and put him into eternal hostage (chained to a soggy bed with barbed wire) I can play the Xbox version instead, and burn my horrible Link poster.
finite
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by finite »

I agree spaghetti. I mean, check this out. In the first screenshot here, we have a hot chick in purple, with some sort of sword-whip, ready to unleash some ass-whooping on a samurai looking guy:
http://www.armchairempire.com/images/pr ... bur2-4.jpg

And now in this screen, we have a massive bulk of a man carrying a ridiculously huge hammer of some sort, barely even bothering to defend against a little elven boy in a green tunic who is poking him with a pointed stick:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/sc ... _88008.jpg

His clothing alone looks like it belonged on a jester from the middle ages, and he is surrounded by large men and women with clothing to suit the most worthy heroes.

He. Does. Not. Belong.

Anyhow, that's enough from me.
MetalGearRay
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by MetalGearRay »

If he doesn't belong, then DON'T PLAY AS HIM! It's that simple.
finite
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by finite »

You're still forced to play against him in any case. I'm not bitching, I just like to have a good rant about subjects I have interest in. Isn't that what the off topic forum is for? Discussion and such. No need to raise your voice. ;)
- Interesting.
spaghetti
DCEmu's #1 Cher fan
DCEmu's #1 Cher fan

Post by spaghetti »

I'm just pissed they couldn't have Kirby as the special character instead of Link. I mean really... Link already has a new game out, Kirby could *really* use this appearance.
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

They should have used Soda Popinski. :)
spaghetti
DCEmu's #1 Cher fan
DCEmu's #1 Cher fan

Post by spaghetti »

Or Cher. Cher with the big metallic-hair wig on.
MetalGearRay
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by MetalGearRay »

Or the Star Wars Kid, complete with his staff! :lol:
spaghetti
DCEmu's #1 Cher fan
DCEmu's #1 Cher fan

Post by spaghetti »

Oh hell, why not Mother Theresa?
Gmc
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Gmc »

MetalGearRay wrote:Or the Star Wars Kid, complete with his staff! :lol:
lmao :lol: :lol:
Sir Slash

Post by Sir Slash »

well the tekken guy doesn't have a weapon...not very fitting .... they should have used a darker green and perhaps other effects... but none the less i prefer link over all the other characters in the other versions...
WELCO
ME
TOT
HE
NEX
T
LEVEL

Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

finite wrote:Link is practically the only wholy-Nintendo-owned character who wields a sword.
Roy? Marth? Ganon?

I'm pretty sure one of the F Zero racers is a samurai too...

...but On Topic: Link really doesnt strike me as any more 'tacked on' than Spawn or Heihachi.

And spawn could easily take link? :?
I don't think so.
JoeyStyles66
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by JoeyStyles66 »

I agree spaghetti. I mean, check this out. In the first screenshot here, we have a hot chick in purple, with some sort of sword-whip, ready to unleash some ass-whooping on a samurai looking guy:
http://www.armchairempire.com/images/pr ... bur2-4.jpg

And now in this screen, we have a massive bulk of a man carrying a ridiculously huge hammer of some sort, barely even bothering to defend against a little elven boy in a green tunic who is poking him with a pointed stick:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/sc ... _88008.jpg
nice comparison :mrgreen:
finite wrote:
Link is practically the only wholy-Nintendo-owned character who wields a sword.

Roy? Marth? Ganon?

i think he meant flagship characters or mascots
finite
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by finite »

Nyarlathotep wrote:Roy? Marth? Ganon?

finite wrote:Any others simply aren't "flagship" enough, and there's no way Nintendo would miss an opportunity to include one of their flagship (aka. flogging-the-dead-horse) characters.
I did indeed mean mascots. ;)
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

They're 'mascot' enought to make it into Smash Bros.

They're certainly more of a videogames mascot than Spawn.
Sub Woofer
DCEmu Cop
DCEmu Cop

Post by Sub Woofer »

I'm sorry, but I hate this whole "Exclusive Special Character" thing altogether.

Think about it. How many Nintendo zealots do you see online that would never touch Soul Calibur in their life, suddenly scream to the walls about how great it's going to be and they're going to buy it on release day JUST for the inclusion of Link? Granted that's not all of them, but I tell you now that it had a huge part in their influence. I have a friend who didn't like Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast, but now after reading about how "great" it is online,
(not to mention it has link, which he doesn't admit is the reason, but it's still the only thing in the game he talks about...) he's already pre-ordered the thing.. and I think he's going to be in for a huge disapointment. (not the fighter type.)

It's stupid as it's cheap, gimmicky and ruins the idea of the game and detracts from the total experience. (Though this isn't GCube specifically, i'm talking about ALL versions of the game...)

It wouldn't matter if these characters were secret unlockables at the end of the game, but to be openly available for choice at the beginning? Ugh.

What really chafe's my willie though, is the way they are marketing this. They're making it look like it's the next Zelda sequel! T-shirts??!? Pshwaaaw!!

!Newsflash! Zelda fans! Once the novelty of playing Link wears of, you are going to be left with a fighter. And if you don't like fighting games, you won't like this one. (I of course, will love it... the original on dreamcast was kickin' rad :D )

Spiderman! Spiderman! Friendy Neighbourhood Spiderman!
Spins a web... any size..... catches thiefs, just like flies!
WATCH OUT... here comes the Spiderman!
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

Samurai Goah, Sheik, or Ganon would have been good choices, but they aren't exactly as flagship as Link is.
Now, if they wanted some zaniness, they should have stuck in Bowser :lol:
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Sub Woofer wrote:I'm sorry, but I hate this whole "Exclusive Special Character" thing altogether.
So do I actually.

Heihachi - stupid being put in a weapons based fighter, period.

Link - sad thing is, probably closest of the three console exclusive chars to being 'valid' for the game, in that he actually DOES use a sword and shield and DOES wander round the country on quests looking for powerful legendary swords attacking anyone / thing who gets in his way.
But yeah, not really in with the overall 17th century feel of the rest.
Which is why Roy or Marth would be better bets, but they're not famous at all.

Spawn - don't even go there. I mean.. come on. It might as well have been Batman, seriously, its just an incredibly random choice.