Doom Legacy?

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Post by BlackAura »

Well, I think I could probably add BEX support to Doom Legacy. Along with (possibly) some other goodies from nxDoom, or my own test versions. And, assuming I could get Doom Legacy working on the DC at all, I could probably do hardware acceleration. It works with OpenGL, DirectX and Glide, so it shouldn't be that hard to do.
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD
Been thanked: 0

Post by XDelusion »

...if you think you could work in Bex on the PC version, that would be of GREAT interest too, I am sure if you could add that in without breaking anything that Hurdler would be very interested himself as that would give us a lot of extra features, such as being able to make new weapons without being restricted to the Code Pointer's that DOOM comes with.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Well, the BEX isn't really that much more complex than DEH. I had a partial subset of it in nxDoom (BEX string replacement mostly, and partial code pointers) and most of it isn't that complex.
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

I wish Hurdler would just add it in in that case, I am getting tired of not being able to do certain things such as Bouncing Grenades in my project.

A guy I talk to a lot has offered to modify the Legacy EXE for my project so I can work in some of the weapons I need, which will be a gawd send, but hopefully in the near future of Legacy, I won't have to go to such great lengths to get things done.
Unph@zed
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Unph@zed »

Only reason I say .md2 is cause to my knowledge there aren't very many Doom modeled .md3's.... and as for .md3's... I can see it right now, some scmuck will try to replace a cyberdemon with a hi-fi Quake4 Gladiator... CRASH :)
"Some day I'll figure out something to go here"

http://eyeofinsanity.doesntexist.com
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

You can probably convert MD2s up to MD3s in code anyway, and MD3s are far more flexible than MD2s.

I'll have a look at the Legacy DEH parser, and see if I can adapt it to work on some BEX files. Got any examples I can try to run through it? They aren't exactly as common as DEH files.
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

Bex Examples:

http://www.btinternet.com/~Enjay001/deh01.htm

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=11870

I'll post more links, when I get them. Hope this helps.
BeastieBoy
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by BeastieBoy »

With the legacy 2 player split screen, could I have custom skins?

Is it possible to have the 4 player split screen you were trying to get?
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

I don't much like the way Legacy does 2-player split screen, because it's not easily extensible. They basically duplicated the player control code for the second player - I think it would have been easier to just modify the existing code to allow more than one player to control it. That'd have the added advantage of making it easier to add 4 player support. But they didn't do it that way - adding 4 player support would be just as difficult as adding 2 player support must have been.

As for the skins, if I can get it working, you'd still be able to use custom skins.
BeastieBoy
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by BeastieBoy »

You can do all this though... right? I really don't want to keep my hopes up and then figure out its not going to be finnished. I don't know a thing about coding, but I know a thing or two about gaming. I just got done playing my wad on Doom Connector with 5 people. We played it for 2 hours its that fun. As soon as i get back to school I want to distribute it and having it all set on a selfbootable dreamcast disk with the 4-player split screen would be like chocolate on the frosted cake for me. I would have it on NxDoom, but the old dos engine can't handle my advanced mapping and it does that mirror effect and crashes (not to mention I can't play it multiplayer with NxDoom). If you remeber, I've been bringing up these topics for a while now. I really hope it can and will be done and my custom deathmatch levels can be played on my dreamcast.

I have one idea I havn't brought up yet, it's about music. You know how custom map's music couldn't be played and you had to add the music for the standard Iwads? Well, I was thinking this as I played deathmatch tonight... what if you added mp3 support? Nothing fancy, just a playlist of whatever MP3s I want to have running while the game goes to make doom seem even newer. I have TONS of great deathmatch music. If I could just have them playing instead of the normal crap doom music, that would be the best.

I dream of a day when my map will be running 4 player split screen deathmatch on the dreamcast with the Mortal Kombat soundtrack playing. NOW THAT WOULD BE COOL!
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Hmm... I've been working on the Doom Legacy code, and I think I should be able to get it running eventually.

The problem is that KOS doesn't have a working network system, so I'm either going to have to wait for KOS 1.3.x to reach a state where it's useable again, or I'm going to have to destroy the network code completely.

I don't know if I'll be able to add 4-player support though. As I said, they did it a very strange way, so I might not be able to do it.

As for the music - I know how to get MIDI files, and Doom MUS files, to play back now, as well as the MOD/IT/S3M/XM formats that nxDoom could run. I don't know about MP3s though - the DC's disc drive can't really do two things at once, and Doom likes to read from the disc in the middle of a game. I tried getting OGG music to run in the background, and it partially worked, but it broke as soon as the game tried to read some files from the disc.
BeastieBoy
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by BeastieBoy »

This KOS thing your talking about, that's just if I wanted to dial into someone elses DC and play online through dreamcast right? How far away is KOS 1.3.x from being done?

The split screen, when you say "they' you mean the authors of Legacy right? Arn't you guys working together on this? How long would it take to re-code it in a way that will work on the dreamcast?

Ok, I only got the mp3 idea because legacy has that play cd audio feature. Even if the're big, think wavs would stand a better chance? I know nothing about coding for dreamcast nor do I know what works and why. I play crazy taxi, see that they have music going with the game and say "hey, that works, whats up with doom?". Then I realize that a huge staff being paid for their work is making that possible, whereas the mp3 audio on my snes emulator's "select a game" screen freezes up and skips because it's loading a list.

???
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

KOS 1.3.x is still in development, and it'll be done when it's done. It's (apparently) nearly capable of running Feet of Fury again, and it's networking support is far better than KOS 1.2.0. KOS is basically the operating system we use to program stuff on the Dreamcast. The 1.3.x series is quite a large modification, so a lot of things got broken on the way. When everything's working again, and it settles down a little bit, I will try getting Legacy to work under it. The problem with KOS 1.2.0 is that I'd need to modify a lot of things to get Legacy working, and it should hopefully be a little easier for KOS 1.3.x

Currently, I'm not working with the Doom Legacy team on this. I think it's probably a little early to start working with them until I have something to contribute. When I've got something working I'll contact them, and we'll see what we can work out.

As for the music thing... WAVs would be less appropriate. WAV files are bigger, and mean that you have to be reading from the disc more than for an MP3. This would be fine, but Doom (and Doom Legacy) tries to read from the disc in the middle of a level. That means that I'd have to either stop the music, or it'd be stopped for me. The Dreamcast's disc drive doesn't like being asked to read two files at once.
BeastieBoy
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by BeastieBoy »

i see. I guess I'll just mave to have my music seperately on my cd player
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

I might be able to work out a way around it, but I doubt it at the moment.
BeastieBoy
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by BeastieBoy »

You guys still workin on this?
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

The C++ edition of Legacy will not be ready for public release until sometime (early?) next year, until then there is not a whole lot Aura can do.

Speaking of which, I wonder what Bero has been up to, and if he plans on updating PRBOOM to the latest sources and putting on the final touches to make it a practical FULLY working DOOM port for the DC?
Pxtl
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

I would much rather see use of Legacy's splitscreen mode

Post by Pxtl »

Currently there is no really moddable, custom-level supporting game for the DC. Every single brew FPS for the DC is single player - and most people are shooting for networking as the next goal.

I would much rather see splitscreen in. There are more wad files and deh files than space on my hard disk, so I'd love to be able to enjoy them properly - and I don't have 4 DC's lying around, as I'm sure most players don't.

Unfortunately, Legacy's splitscreen is only 2 screen.
Single player is masturbation.
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

That Dreamcast network cable would be nice to have support for, not the BBA one, but the older one that plugged into the DC's serial port.

Split screen is fine on a 32" TV, but 4 screen is just a nightmare.

DOOM is quite Moddable, and the Single Player experience is grand, it's just that that save feature has its days, and there does not seem to be a solution.
Lavalord
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Lavalord »

Heh, its early next year. Any idea when the C++ code will be out?