118$ for a 120gb hardrive a good deal?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
DrugAddict
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by DrugAddict »

yea my bad.. i thought it was 20 gigs.
Alexkidd187
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Alexkidd187 »

try tigerdirects clearence page it might be cheaper there
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

I think I should :bump: this topic. It is on the second page due to spamming.
Alexkidd187
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Alexkidd187 »

lol it was on the 3 page before my post look above yours
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

If you wouldn't have created so many useless topics it would not have been that low.
mikelomax
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster
Location: Off Topic, Since I know very little about the dreamcast

Post by mikelomax »

the benefit is less wasted space. a hard disk's capacity is made up of clusters and dependant on the size of these clusters, the less wasted space as a result as they won't fit exactly into the drive size. (thats why you get like 76gig instead of 80 or whatever).

partitioning it means that the clusters can be smaller and therefore leave smaller gaps at the end wasting less space. this can also be achieved with programs like partition magic which allow the changing of cluster size at any time.

i've got an 80gig drive and i'm currently wasting about 400meg utilzing three partitons (one hidden for win98) which is pretty good for its size. the best bet is to experiment and use partition magic if you've got it or can get it.
The reason for having: A firewall

Independance day, the aliens were destroyed because a computer was used to access their network and disable key systems. If they had had a firewall, the earth would be just another worthless rock floating in space.
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

I don't have partition magic. If I didn't partition it how much space do you think I would be wasting.
mikelomax
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster
Location: Off Topic, Since I know very little about the dreamcast

Post by mikelomax »

hard to say, all drives are different.
The reason for having: A firewall

Independance day, the aliens were destroyed because a computer was used to access their network and disable key systems. If they had had a firewall, the earth would be just another worthless rock floating in space.
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus »

I have a 120 gig drive, which I have partitioned thusly:

20 gigs - Windows, installed programs, etc
60 gigs - Videos, MP3s, other multimedia crap
40 gigs - Install files for programs

I'm thinking about stealing 10 or so gigs from the install files partition and adding it to the Windows partition because it keeps filling up.
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

I could partition it. I think it would just be easier to leave it as one partition. I doubt it will waste a lot of space.
someoneElse
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by someoneElse »

Calavera wrote:I could partition it. I think it would just be easier to leave it as one partition. I doubt it will waste a lot of space.
It's much better to have at least two partitions for a one drive system. One for your OS, and another for Programs/data.

So you can reformat/reinstall at will without losing your data and installations.
Can you survive Darwin's Blade? Sign up Today
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

If you're using an OS like Windows, where you can't back up or restore a complete system backup because the OS just won't let you, it might also be a good idea to have another partition containing a fairly small installation of an OS (any OS which can read your main partitions), which you can use to back up files, restore complete system backups, and at a push you can use it if your main OS dies unexpectedly.
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

someoneElse wrote:
Calavera wrote:I could partition it. I think it would just be easier to leave it as one partition. I doubt it will waste a lot of space.
It's much better to have at least two partitions for a one drive system. One for your OS, and another for Programs/data.

So you can reformat/reinstall at will without losing your data and installations.
I'm adding the 120gb drive in addition to my other drive. My other drive has XP and 98. So I guess there will be no big loss if I don't partition it.