3DO, Phillips CD-I and Amiga CD32

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.

Which of these consoles do you think is best?

3DO
83%
CD-I
No votes
CD32
17%

Total votes: 6
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Post by Calavera »

If I do buy any of these it will probally be the 3DO.
Calavera wrote:Does anybody know any websites that has screenshots from the CD32,CD-I,and 3DO?
I have looked all over but can not find any.
Speeddemon
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu
Been thanked: 0

Post by Speeddemon »

Amiga was patethic ........games were like NES game quality graphics sound etc............Phillips CDI was alright but barely had any games.......3DO is probably the best and had about 35 games. Be sure to grab Mad dog Mcree 1 + 2, Space Cowboys , Killing Time , Fifa Soccer, 7th Guest
P|-|33r |\/|3 B147C|-|!!!
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Speeddemon wrote:Amiga was patethic ........games were like NES game quality graphics sound etc
No, the games even on the Amiga 500/600 were Mega Drive quality, with amazing sound that could feature full voices - remember the Sensible SOccer and Cannon Fodder intros?
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Speeddemon wrote:Amiga was patethic ........games were like NES game quality graphics sound etc
Have you ever seen an Amiga? Let's just grab some screenshots at random, shall we?

Here's some typical NES screenshots:
ImageImage

And here's some typical Amiga screenshots, from the Amiga computers that were out in the late 80s and early 90s:

And here's a shot from Gloom on the Amiga 1200, which was almost the same hardware as the CD32:

That looks far superior to a NES, my friend. And as for the sound - NES sounds are made of beeps. Amiga sounds are real sound samples - the first system to do it that way. Amiga music actually sounds better than anything else that existed at the time, with the possible exception of the SNES.
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

CoasterKing wrote:The CD32 is perhaps the worst console to ever grace the earth. No power, no games, no style, no don't buy one or I will slap you.
Never played Alien Breed then?, how bout Cannon Fodder or Syndicate?, Pinball Fantasies?, ok these were on the regular Amiga as well but some were enhanced over the 500/600 versions since the CD32 was a CD based 1200. It was in fact the first 32bit CD based console, so even if for nothing else you gotta give it credit for being ahead of it's time a bit.
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

BlackAura wrote:Image
Have you ever played that game? It looks like a clone rather than the real thing (just because of the score, everything is fine).
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
revengeofLaEternal
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by revengeofLaEternal »

I have a 3DO, but only two games (Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo and Sailormoon S). Any suggestions as to where I can get some games (besides ebay)? Also, I've read info about a 3DO rpg called Lucienne's Quest (I also have the issue of GameFan that reviewed it and they said it was ok). Anyone played it or know where to get it (I guess this would be related to the first question)?
mariobro
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mariobro »

You were sure to catch heat for slamming the mighty Amiga...

Most likely, you've never even seen a real one, working.

It was an incredibly sophisticated computer system. It was the first consumer computer with digital-video capability.

In games, it had a 4,096 color palette in HAM (Hold-and-Modify) mode.

The NES could display a maximum of 16 colors on-screen.

Do your homework. There WAS life before the Pentium processor, you know... :P
"Until I finally made it, life was kinda hit or miss...
And I'd love to talk philosophy, but I gotta take a piss"
-David Lee Roth
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

az_bont wrote:
Have you ever played that game? It looks like a clone rather than the real thing (just because of the score, everything is fine).
Yep - it's a clone of Sonic the Hedgehog. It was never finished, but it does work. I think it was done just to show that Sonic could be done on an Amiga.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

BlackAura wrote:
az_bont wrote:
Yep - it's a clone of Sonic the Hedgehog. It was never finished, but it does work. I think it was done just to show that Sonic could be done on an Amiga.
You should have posted a picture of Shadow Of The Beast, it still looks pretty impressive even today...
reaper2k2
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by reaper2k2 »

Some of the flight sims are still more fun on the amiga i say in most ways the amiga was better then the snse and the megadrive to me any ways

plus the fact you can program for it straight out of the box allways gave it the edge for me

glad to see the commodore fans still unite ! we will never be defeated
http://homebrew.dcemulation.com/dcgames/ *homebrew webbrowser games *

http://r2k2gate.topcities.com *dev site and my releases*
Im' a Commodorian are you?
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Nyarlathotep wrote:You should have posted a picture of Shadow Of The Beast, it still looks pretty impressive even today...
It does, but I couldn't find any shots of it. And seeing as I don't have a disk image of it, I couldn't take any screenshots of it.

The good thing about a CD32 is that it can be used as an Amiga 1200 with built-in CD drive, so you could play all CD32 games, AGA Amiga games (A1200/A4000), ECS Amiga games (A500+/A600) and OCS Amiga games (A1000/500/2000). That probably gives the system a few thousand games, plus all sorts of other cool stuff, like demos, music, graphics programs, and the ability to program your own games using something like Amos (which is really easy to use, and later versions supported the CD32), or Blitz Basic (also easy to use, but more powerful), or even full-blown assmebler, if you want.

Speeddemon - Perhaps you're thinking of the C64. Which was out a few years before the NES, if memory serves. It had 16-colour graphics, a faster version of the NES's CPU, 64KB of RAM and it was the first computer to have sprite graphics, highres bitmap graphics, multi-channel high-quality sound synthesiser, and a load of other stuff. It can be considered inferior to a NES in only one way: it had to load an entire game into about 48KB of RAM, whereas the NES could access up to 2MB of ROM, so NES games could contain more graphics data than a C64 game. And comparing that to a NES is like comparing a Dreamcast to an Xbox - there's a two/three year gap between them. And a C64 wasn't primarily a games machine.
reaper2k2
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by reaper2k2 »

i have siad before i love my c64 loFL!

AHH! but what about a multi load you could keep flushing the memory and get more grafix

and then in the 90's the new cart games had much more memory but thats just history

how many NES games used the space thou some carts are under 40k

most of the first nest games even all of them could of been done on a c64 with out to much problem

look at mayhem in monsterland and turrican i liked the c64 version of that a lot better then the amiga version which lost some of its greatness in the port
http://homebrew.dcemulation.com/dcgames/ *homebrew webbrowser games *

http://r2k2gate.topcities.com *dev site and my releases*
Im' a Commodorian are you?
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

reaper2k2 wrote:AHH! but what about a multi load you could keep flushing the memory and get more grafix
I've never seen a game that uses that. Wouldn't that get annoying if you were using a tape? Although, for a disk-based game, that'd work really well - use the whole 300K (or whatever it was) on the disk, and load the appropriate parts when necessary.
reaper2k2 wrote:and then in the 90's the new cart games had much more memory but thats just history

how many NES games used the space thou some carts are under 40k

most of the first nest games even all of them could of been done on a c64 with out to much problem
The only cart game I had was Jupiter Lander. But using a cart would let you use as much data as you needed - just use a bankswitching chip like the NES/SMS did.

All of the NES games that are under 40K are utter rubbish. A lot of them, I've seen C64 versions of, and they were just as good (if not better) than the NES versions. Like Great Giana Sisters - a clone of Super Mario Brothers. Most C64 games are far more detailed and complex than the early NES games.
look at mayhem in monsterland and turrican i liked the c64 version of that a lot better then the amiga version which lost some of its greatness in the port
Wasn't the C64 version a port of the Amiga version? Personally, I prefer the Amiga version, but the C64 version is also very good. I'm not bashing the C64 or anything, but maybe he's thinking of the C64 when he said "NES-like graphics". Of course, saying that a C64 has NES-quality sound is utter rubbish - the SID chip beats anything the pansy little APU of the NES could manage.

Back on topic - Those consoles were all from the period between the SNES/Genesis and the PSX/N64. Basically, for some reason, practically nobody bought any of those consoles. Maybe it was because people were still happy with their SNESes or Mega Drives, which were still producing a lot of really good games.
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

BlackAura wrote:
reaper2k2 wrote:AHH! but what about a multi load you could keep flushing the memory and get more grafix
I've never seen a game that uses that. Wouldn't that get annoying if you were using a tape? Although, for a disk-based game, that'd work really well - use the whole 300K (or whatever it was) on the disk, and load the appropriate parts when necessary.
It would've been the bigger arcade conversions mostly that used multi load like Midnight Resistance, didn't have the C64 version had the Speccy one, multi load ahoy (unless you had a 128k machine).
reaper2k2 wrote:and then in the 90's the new cart games had much more memory but thats just history
I remember these well, bought a C64GS towards the end of the C64 cycle, lots of great games on cart including Double Dragon, Rick Dangerous, Pang & Shadow of the Beast (easily equall to the Amiga version & surpassing it for music).
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers