Pier Solar could come to Dreamcast

This forum is for the posting of new newsposts, and it stores the site's news and comments archives. Only newsposters have access to post new news in here; if you wish to submit news, please post it in the discussion section for your particular topic. We may choose to move it here as a newspost if we find that it's worthy for the front page.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Pier Solar could come to Dreamcast

Post by mankrip »

DaMadFiddler wrote:
mankrip wrote:At that price, they should make a real port instead of just emulating it.
It is a real port, not an emulation. The graphics and audio are all being completely redone [...]
I'm talking about the Dreamcast release.
150k - Dreamcast Extras: 16x9 Widescreen support, VMU integration, VGA support: We are sweetening up the Dreamcast version with everything we can think of! VGA will look stunning, and with 16x9 support it will be the perfect match. We aren't leaving out anything and thats why your VMU will be integrated with Pier Solar!

160k - Pier Solar HD Directors Cut: We are going to add in tons of stuff we left out of the final version of Pier Solar due to technical limitations on the original SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis cartridge. We're talking tons of new sidequests, mini games, and never-before-heard songs!

[...]

175k - Pier Solar HD for Android & OUYA: Pier Solar HD for Android devices and the OUYA!

200k - Pier Solar HD for Wii U: Pier Solar HD for the Nintendo Wii U!
VGA support is something dumb to hype, since that's a given for anything using KOS. But of course, people who aren't much into the DC doesn't know that. VMU support is also a given if they were going to emulate the game through BlackAura's port of GenesisPlus. However, the widescreen support probably means that they're going to do a real port.

None of the HD version's extras are explicitly mentioned for the Dreamcast release, but they are explicitly mentioned for the Wii U and Android versions.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

mankrip wrote:
DaMadFiddler wrote:
mankrip wrote:At that price, they should make a real port instead of just emulating it.
It is a real port, not an emulation. The graphics and audio are all being completely redone [...]
I'm talking about the Dreamcast release.
I am, too. I don't know where you got the impression that the DC version was an emulation of the Genesis version rather than a port of the "HD" version.

The Dreamcast version is the same as the 360/PC/Mac/Linux/Android/OUYA/possible Wii U version in every respect except that it runs at 640x480 instead of 1920x1080. It'll still get the redone art and music, the additional "Director's Cut" content (since that stretch goal was met), etc. As for "VMU support" as a stretch goal, I would assume that means they're going to add some VMU-specific functionality, such as displaying stats down there or somesuch. I can't imagine they'd let this thing go out the door without the ability to save, stretch goals or no.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

[edit] Double post.
Last edited by mankrip on Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

DaMadFiddler wrote:I don't know where you got the impression that the DC version was an emulation of the Genesis version rather than a port of the "HD" version.
The first post:
melancholy wrote:PC and 360 owners can pledge $15 to get a digital copy, featuring a full HD makeover of the game, while Dreamcast owners can pledge $49 to get a direct port of the original Genesis version.
By saying a "direct port" they could either mean a simple port with only the same features as the Genesis version, or emulation (since most people wouldn't know the difference).

This announcement in the first post is also why I'm still skeptical about the DC version getting the HD version's contents.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

I didn't realize it was in Mel's OP. That said, I still think it's a mistake on his part; I haven't seen anything on the actual Kickstarter page to indicate that the DC version isn't the "HD" version (except, for, y'know, not running in HD).

The misunderstanding probably originated from the wording choice in the pledge tier descriptions; they say $49 "Dreamcast regular edition," but that's to differentiate between the normal release and the much-more-expensive "limited edition" that includes an art book and other bonuses. You'll notice that the PC and 360 versions also list "regular" and "limited" editions in this same manner.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

:grin: Let's hope so, then. Thanks.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

So... isn't it weird with this KickStarter thing everything has to be done before people buy the game.

Back in the day.
SNK after recovering from bankruptcy would port old Arcade games to Dreamcast.
Made profit and started developing new games.
When the time came they didn't release them on Dreamcast but that is a different story.

Point is, people used to earn from there software before porting or adding features for example, after Resident Evil performed well, they would release updates for the game (dual shock version) or they would port it to other platforms (Sega Saturn, N64 and so on).

I just find it weird...

That said I preordered this game by updating my pledge to 50$.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

The Kickstarter campaign has now met all of its stretch goals.

That means all of the following will happen:

In addition to redone graphics and music, the HD release will be a "Director's Cut," featuring additional characters, side quests, and other content. (The original Genesis graphics will be available through the options menu, but it is undetermined whether the Genesis sound will be included). It will be available both in English and Japanese, and as both "regular" and "limited" editions (for the physical versions--namely, Dreamcast and PC). The limited edition will include things such as prints, an art book, and a guide. All Kickstarter backers will receive a free 1080p download of a documentary about the developer, entitled "One Day at WaterMelon." Everyone who pledged $49 or more (basically, anyone who bought a physical copy through the Kickstarter campaign) will also receive a DVD of said documentary.

The game will be released on the following platforms:
-Dreamcast (physical copy)
-PC/Mac/Linux (both physical and download)
-Xbox 360 (XBLA)
-Android (download)
-OUYA (download)
-Wii U (format unspecified, presumably download)
-possibly PS3 (undecided)

While the Dreamcast version will obviously not run in high definition, it will have a widescreen mode and unspecified additional VMU functionality.

The projected release window is December 2013.

The Kickstarter still has about half a day before it finishes. If you are interested in the game, you may want to go ahead and pledge; the downloadable versions will presumably be available on their respective digital-distribution platforms when the game launches, but physical copies may be scarce. (All three print runs of the original Genesis cartridge sold out very quickly). A physical copy for Dreamcast or PC can be had for $49 through the Kickstarter campaign, which is a significantly better deal than the $69 for the Genesis cartridge (when it's even in stock), and far better than the $100+ the game pulls in whenever it shows up on eBay.

Meanwhile, the developer (WaterMelon's Magical Game Factory) is also in the planning stages for a new game: a Zelda-esque action RPG for SNES, based on the Greek tale of Orpheus.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

So now that kickstarter has ended the game is for sale online for 50$.

Basically the Kickstarter was 1$ cheaper and offered free shipping, so those in states roughly saved 10$.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

I said direct port because when I originally read the announcement, it said they were preserving the original graphics of the Genesis version for the Dreamcast version. Whether they changed their minds later or just mis-spoke, they now are saying the Dreamcast version will be the HD version scaled down to 640x480. At any rate, emulation doesn't work without a modified emulator due to the 64-meg cart size and some other technical trickery they did to get the game running. It would have never been just an emulator running a ROM on the DC.
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

I'd get the Dreamcast version if it entitled me a digital download for Linux as well, otherwise I just wouldn't get around actually playing it.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

I still think Dreamcast indie releases should include Windows/Mac/Linux executables on the DC disc. Pop it into your Dreamcast, play the game there. Put it into the computer, play it there. So long as everything you need fits on the disc, it's perfectly doable; I used to make emulation discs like that back in college. They launched NesterDC in the Dreamcast, and auto-launched FCEU when put into a Windows PC.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Would you like me to relay this to them, or you can do it on your own?
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

DaMadFiddler wrote:I still think Dreamcast indie releases should include Windows/Mac/Linux executables on the DC disc. Pop it into your Dreamcast, play the game there. Put it into the computer, play it there. So long as everything you need fits on the disc, it's perfectly doable; I used to make emulation discs like that back in college. They launched NesterDC in the Dreamcast, and auto-launched FCEU when put into a Windows PC.
I guess that using external discs to run games is something that most computer users are stopping to do (when they can, of course). In most cases, people seems to prefer to run everything directly from their hard drives.

But a solid reason is: The game data may be different, due to the different resolution, and there may be not enough disc space for all versions of it. Specially if the DC version uses CDDA, as that takes a lot of space. Even Quake with both of its official mission packs is too big to fit in a single disc, if you want those mission packs to use their own audio tracks.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Well, my fiance got me a copy for Christmas. The game isn't slated to ship until NEXT December, though, so I guess I've got some Dreamcasting to look forward to in the future.
ErikWebb
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by ErikWebb »

melancholy wrote:Pier solar kits, the 16-bit RPG made exclusively for Sega Genesis, might find a home on PC, Xbox 360, and Dreamcast next year. Right now, there is a Kickstarter campaign going on to bring this epic RPG to a broader audience. PC and 360 owners can pledge $15 to get a digital copy, featuring a full HD makeover of the game, while Dreamcast owners can pledge $49 to get a direct port of the original Genesis version. Considering the huge success of this game and the cost of obtaining a Genesis copy, this could be your best chance of playing this amazing homebrew effort.

Check out the details on Kickstarter:
Awesome game for sure.. I have been playing it for some time and I still love to play it occasionally..I am searching for more such exting games now.