Nintendo can remotely destroy modified 3DS handhelds

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Nintendo can remotely destroy modified 3DS handhelds

Post by DanteJay »

BlueCrab wrote:When things ask you to accept, generally they say that you must get a parent to accept it if you are under 18.
If a 15 year old purchased Mario Galaxy at Wal-Mart, at what point did he need his parent to accept anything? He walks in and out of the store, goes home, opens the package and inserts his game, without any parental permission, or physically signing anything for that matter. And the thing is, if a minor purchases, rents, or plays any said video game with TOS as mentioned above, the minor is the one entered into this license contract, not the parent. And a contract to a minor cannot be enforced at the request of the minor. There are exceptions such as credit fraud where the minor is still enforced to payback money borrowed, etc. But as far as I know a TOS contract under most laws cannot be binding to the minor. The point I was making was that not only is the system itself flawed (where a child or anyone for that matter can enter into a contract without he or she knowing), but there are also many circumstances where it fails to enforce itself, whether intentionally or unintentionally.
BlueCrab wrote: The grocery store I used to work at had a video rental place that had some video games, so I can speak a bit from experience on this one. When they purchased a game for renting out, they had to pay a much larger amount than the game would normally cost to have a license to rent the thing out.
Did you ever read the terms printed on the rental discs in your grocery store? If you look at any disc from any rental store in Ontario, and read the terms printed on the disc, they're exactly the same as any other ordinary retail disc. Personally, I have never seen another disc or cartridge different than any retail one, with the exception of special diagnostic and memory wiping discs. It's also why these games are able to be sold used as ordinary used games. I specifically inquired about this too and was told by my suppliers and former Microplay managers the same thing, that there are no special rental discs. As well, I was told that while certain suppliers charge more for a "rental" copy, realistically you do not have anymore privileges or rights. Just for the record, our largest supplier in the Greater Toronto Area did not charge, promote, or even list a "rental copy" of any game in their inventory.
BlueCrab wrote: They very rarely made back their initial investment on games, so they almost never got new ones in.
Yeah, that was the fine art of knowing when, and how many rental copies to convert to used copies, for sale once the game made you some rental revenue. You buy a brand new game, rent it out around 5 times, make around 20 to 25 bucks, and sell it $5 below cost. If you could do that, then essentially, made around $20 off of a game you purchased new. While it was still a pitiful profit margin in the world of retail, it was quite the norm in video games retail. Now some developers/publishers like EA are trying to screw the retailers by reducing the value of used games. Some restrictions I know of are the requirement of the end user having to purchase a license to play a used game online. I think we talked about this before.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Nintendo can remotely destroy modified 3DS handhelds

Post by Ex-Cyber »

What I've heard is that rental stores mostly paid higher prices for early access and/or guaranteed allocations rather than for a rental license. However, what I've heard is probably also US-biased.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer