E3

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by impetus »

Overall, I think Nintendo made a great showing. Also, looks like the 360 is staying the course pretty well.
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

I've been watching e3 on g4 and I agree with impetus that Nintendo has thus far had a great show. Everything looks promising, but is it me or does the new metroid prime they've been showing look like the first two games?

and what was with Super Mario Galaxies?!

Finally, if Ninty isn't gonna be utilizing an hd format for their games, they should at least be using vga imo.
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

Smiley wrote:I've been watching e3 on g4 and I agree with impetus that Nintendo has thus far had a great show. Everything looks promising, but is it me or does the new metroid prime they've been showing look like the first two games?

Finally, if Ninty isn't gonna be utilizing an hd format for their games, they should at least be using vga imo.
i watched g4's coverage on e3 and wondered where the nintendo coverage went. they even stoped mentioning nintendo after the first half.
atf487
DCEmu's Ranter
DCEmu's Ranter

Post by atf487 »

Smiley wrote:I've been watching e3 on g4 and I agree with impetus that Nintendo has thus far had a great show. Everything looks promising, but is it me or does the new metroid prime they've been showing look like the first two games?

Rumor is that the stuff is still running off of what is basically GC hardware. The only game that looked better than what the GC/Xbox could do was Super Mario Galaxy, which looks really good, and fun! I thought it was weird as hell to put Mario in space, but there is a good video at youtube that makes the game look really fun.

Oh, and if you guys didn't read the Sonic thread I made...THE GAME LOOKS GREAT. Watch the video from IGN, it looks like Sega finally got a 3D sonic game right.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

atf487 wrote:

Rumor is that the stuff is still running off of what is basically GC hardware. The only game that looked better than what the GC/Xbox could do was Super Mario Galaxy, which looks really good, and fun!
To expand on this, last I heard ATI haven't even completed the video card for the system. I think we can expect better graphics once they know what they can actually pull off. Right now they are just doing visual effects that the Gamecube could do.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Smiley wrote:and what was with Super Mario Galaxies?!
Super Mario Galaxies has me really, really worried. I want a true sequel to Mario 64, and this isn't going to be it. In fact, from what I seen of the demo, it looked more like those damn bonus stages in Mario Sunshine. Ya know, the ones with the huge pit-of-death where you make one wrong move and you die? Super Mario Galaxies looked like a ton of tiny little planets over a gigantic 'pit.' If they make that game's focus on precision moves with the Wiimote, in a similar fashion to Sunshine's bonus stages, many people are going to hate it, me included.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

melancholy wrote: it looked more like those damn bonus stages in Mario Sunshine. Ya know, the ones with the huge pit-of-death where you make one wrong move and you die? Super Mario Galaxies looked like a ton of tiny little planets over a gigantic 'pit.' If they make that game's focus on precision moves with the Wiimote, in a similar fashion to Sunshine's bonus stages, many people are going to hate it, me included.
You missed the part where Mario runs underneath the planet defying 'earth' gravity then?
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

butters wrote:To expand on this, last I heard ATI haven't even completed the video card for the system. I think we can expect better graphics once they know what they can actually pull off. Right now they are just doing visual effects that the Gamecube could do.
I think it's possible that some developers have gotten test run silicon from rumors I've seen floating around, but ATI is being pretty quiet/vague about the process overall (most likely this is at Nintendo's request of course). Even if that's true, though, they might have decided to show only GC-based builds on the floor due to concerns about prototype reliability, theft, etc.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

I think most of the Wii games on show were developed on the GameCube based prototypes Nintendo had a while back. Quite a few of them look exactly like GameCube games, and some others (like Metroid Prime 3, Project H.A.M.M.E.R. and Sonic Wildfire) look like GameCube games with a larger scale, more detail, more stuff on screen at once, and so on.

Some of Nintendo's games look like they're running on something else entirely. Super Mario Galaxy appears to be using shader effects of some kind, which the GameCube simply didn't have. Same deal with Smash Brothers Brawl. The most obvious is that backlit lighting effect you can see on Mario in Galaxy.

UbiSoft evidently got their hands on this updated kit, because Red Steel looks like it's using those same effects. I don't think a game that looks like Red Steel would have been possible on the GameCube. Since we first saw screenshots of Red Steel months ago, that means that more complete prototypes have been out there for months.
Egotistical EvilN
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Egotistical EvilN »

Are revolution's specs out, officialy yet?
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

Egotistical EvilN wrote:Are revolution's specs out, officialy yet?
IIRC nintendo even said they werent going to release any specs EVER, because of all the "we dont care about hardware, gameplay is where its at" talk

anyway, im pretty curious myself, im really interested in its architecture, and i pray to god that ars technica does a deep overview of it or something
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

All I want from a 3D Mario game is a nice solid set of themed stages like Mario 64. If Nintendo want to innovate, I wish they would do it with new games and stop messing with the classics.
Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS

Post by Caboose »

Disheveled DrFreeze wrote:
Egotistical EvilN wrote:Are revolution's specs out, officialy yet?
IIRC nintendo even said they werent going to release any specs EVER, because of all the "we dont care about hardware, gameplay is where its at" talk

anyway, im pretty curious myself, im really interested in its architecture, and i pray to god that ars technica does a deep overview of it or something
It's rumored that the hardware is very similar to the gamecube's, but everything is just twice as fast/there's twice as much of it (RAM).
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by gamedudex2 »

mario and smash bros are not launch titles mario is coming out between launch and 6 months after time frame. smash bros probably spring 2007 since they said its coming in 2007
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Nyarlathotep wrote:
melancholy wrote: it looked more like those damn bonus stages in Mario Sunshine. Ya know, the ones with the huge pit-of-death where you make one wrong move and you die? Super Mario Galaxies looked like a ton of tiny little planets over a gigantic 'pit.' If they make that game's focus on precision moves with the Wiimote, in a similar fashion to Sunshine's bonus stages, many people are going to hate it, me included.
You missed the part where Mario runs underneath the planet defying 'earth' gravity then?
No, I saw that, but that doesn't make me any less worried. After the dumb things they did with Mario Sunshine, seeing yet another radical departure makes me weary.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover

Post by butters »

TyBO
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by TyBO »

melancholy wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:
No, I saw that, but that doesn't make me any less worried. After the dumb things they did with Mario Sunshine, seeing yet another radical departure makes me weary.
I don't think outer space is going to be an endless pit of doom though. It looks like once you land on a planet, you're grounded there, and to transfer to a new planet you need to step into a special area, and it takes you on a predetermined path there.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover

Post by butters »

An interview with Satoru Iwata, president of Nintendo. They are going to interview Kaz Hirai from SCEA and Peter Moore from Microsoft tomorrow.
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

thanks for that link, butters. I enjoyed reading that interview.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

:jawdrop: Holy poop! Was there anyone even left on the expo floor?