Look what my DC started displaying...(ok, so its TG16/PCE)

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Post by Quzar »

dreamcastninja wrote:hahahahaaa... i'm a poor college student who had to quit my mixed martial arts training (muay thai, csw, bjj) because I can't afford it now and my sprint, best buy, and my girlfreind steals the rest of my money...oh and i'm 2 years behind in college and I should have graduated this year but video games killed it...hahahahahaaaa you're contributing to my delinquency!!!!!!111oneonetwosixeight omgwtfbbq~!! hahahahaa

anyway, keep up the good work!
you did muay thai? bareknuckle or gloved? that stuff is brutal...
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
dreamcastninja
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by dreamcastninja »

mixed martial arts... ufc type stuff if you've heard of that (i assume you have since you actually knew what I listed ) :D
dr apocalipsis
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by dr apocalipsis »

I think Nec avenue did a great job with the ports. They have less objets than genesis have, but, perhaps, they move better. Thanks for the info.
SchmuckofNI
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by SchmuckofNI »

I have a Duo if thats any consulation. And yes Hugo runs a bit faster than that of my Duo. If memory serves correct, the arcade card is 2 megs of video memory which means the Duo could almost be considered a mini Psx. Check out Sapphire, thats a good example of the Arcade card in its glory. :)
Salamander2
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Salamander2 »

...Yeah...
I'm waiting for this since dreamengine appeared.
i have a Pc-engine Duo-r, with korewa baseball 90 and power drift,
(anyone interested in exchange for salamander or buying them?)and a ton of super-cd games.
I just don't have money to buy pc engine/turbo duo games, cause they cost a lot nowadays, and the only hucard i need surely is salamander.
my pc-engine starts to fuzzy out and i can't count the numbers of days the tragic end will come. The dreamcast will be THE solution for this.

Quzar, great job. couting on you.
"...they are carrying the last hope: to save planet Gradius...on their wings..."
GRADIUS TRIBUTE for Dreamcast!
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

SchmuckofNI wrote:I have a Duo if thats any consulation. And yes Hugo runs a bit faster than that of my Duo.
I'm sure he'll correct the clockspeed before he makes a release.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Thanks Schmuck. i had already changed the clockspeed, as a preemptive measure, but the confirmation makes me feel better about it.

An update: After replacing the rendering code I discovered that it was not a bottleneck in any fashion. Using the older renderer I decided to test how much speed it was taking by throwing in some manual frameskip. Before noticing any difference at all I had to set it to a frameskip of 4, and not the traditional frameskip of three which would be skipping 4 frames a second, but only displaying one of ever 4 frames. This showed me that there must be some other portion of the code so incredibly slow that the renderer is fast compared to it.

I'm gonna go look at the sound code next to see if I can take out the SDL_Mixer stuff. Unlike the video stuff though I literally have NO experience with sound code for the DC, so this is gonna be a bit harder =P.

I'm als going to get DreamEngine and see how this compares to it's speed and I pretty much promise that when the speed is the same or better I'll release it(mind you this is running with sound on).
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
dr apocalipsis
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by dr apocalipsis »

DCmad wrote:
dr apocalipsis wrote:
This thing emulates Sega games like Afterburner and few others pseudo scaling ports?
Actually, Sega has ported some of theyr arcade games o PCE, altered beast, afterburner, outrun, space harrier, are some of them.
This PCE didn't emulates sega games, as you can see
I'm more interesting in emulation issues than the actual pcengine ports. If I want to play Out Run, After Burner, Space Harrier or Hang On on a Dreamcast is fairly better to play the PERFECT emulation found in Shenmue II. oh! I say Shenmue II? Sorry, I forgot that SEGA didn't release this great game in the USA. BWAHAHAHAHA!!! :wink:
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

@dreamcastninja: I beg you to edit/delete your last post, as is a bad thing to ruin this good tread with this kind of prohibited things. I ask you to edit it yourself, or a mod can do this, but i don't wanna see it get locked. As i really am enjoying the updates by quzar being reported here.
And as a dever you claim you are, i beg you to read the forum rules b4 post.
Not bashing you eh ;)

@dr apocalipsis: I didn't knew what are you talkin about. I think PCE itself doidn't emulated other consoles, althought i am aware of a homebrew comunity for it, PD games, translation projects and so. But yes, PCE had official ports of those games, so theresn't that thing of PERFECT emulation. Those were the _REAL THINGS_
Clessy
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Clessy »

If mods are that lock happy theres some reallly anal people here. Just edit the damn post or delete it and get over it.

Its not like he was like

WAREZ RIGHT HERE DOWNLOAD DOWNLOAD DOWNLOAD
SHENMUEII RIGHT HERE DOWNLOAD IT NOW CLICK THIS LINK
SE! SE! SE! Believe the hype!
dr apocalipsis
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by dr apocalipsis »

@DCmad Man, you confuse me (my english helps a lot, also).

We are talking about emulate a PCE running a PCE game (choose your favourite). Not to emulate a PCE emulating a Arcade Game (forgot about it!) (Each arcade have two M68k running about 12 mhz).
atentamente a su ombligo:
el dr. apocalipsis Nil

Don't hesitate about correct my english :oops:
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

:D
Lets try again:
Outrun -> Arcade version
Outrun -> Genesis version
Outrun -> PCE version

See? PCE didn't emulate it, it was fully ported to PCE.
SchmuckofNI
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by SchmuckofNI »

Quzar, my question is will this thing play backup cd games? The reason why I ask this is because well the Duo really didn't have a lockout chip or anything to be able to play backups and I was just curious if you were following the footsteps of Ian in that aspect...
Clessy
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Clessy »

Yes there's no way to block out things of this nature. If the system didnt have it then theres no way a emulator can.
SE! SE! SE! Believe the hype!
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

SchmuckofNI wrote:Quzar, my question is will this thing play backup cd games? The reason why I ask this is because well the Duo really didn't have a lockout chip or anything to be able to play backups and I was just curious if you were following the footsteps of Ian in that aspect...
Ian encouraged it. I wont do such a thing. Like the Sega CD and the NeoGeo CD, the PCECD had no protection on it.

Sadly ATM the emulator only works on isos (i havnt tested it with CDs yet though, but by looking at the current state of the code it should not work). Also as far as I can tell there is no support for MP3 playing other than when using HCD files (hugo CD, some format I havnt been able to find).
SchmuckofNI
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by SchmuckofNI »

So if I put in an actual SCD game it won't play it? Maybe you could get a donation thing going on where people can donate actual games so you can try them out...
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Well, at the moment the code simply isnt there. I had to remove some of the CD reading functions in order for it to work on the DC.

Right now like I said, Im concerned with speed =P.
dreamcastninja
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by dreamcastninja »

as am I :)

hehe

I'll be happy as long as the hucards run properly... =)
Link2k4
DCEmu Banned
DCEmu Banned

Post by Link2k4 »

I am concered with speed and sound, since I love sound in games to be somewhat like the original, glad to hear that quzar gives updates on this cool project. I can't wait to play soldier blade and bump it with my stereo system.
SchmuckofNI
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by SchmuckofNI »

Anyway, if there is anyway I could help let me know. I own about 140 PCE CD (and a few Arcade CDs) games and can donate to the cause if necessary. :P