PSO Homebrewed Server?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.

Would ya want to use a fan-made PSO server?

Total votes: 0
Zante
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

We salute you Mr PSO home-brewed server maker! (whoever)

Post by Zante »

Hmph =)

Well I'm in full-support of this project and as soon as someone reliably sane posts the legal info and loop-holes regarding it (in detail) I'll make a PSO port of my site www21.brinkster.com/blackflame in an endeavour to farm the sheep =)
-Zante
dkoikadabra
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

boo!

Post by dkoikadabra »

Wow, been awhile. To be honest, I kind of gave up on the project, as the server I was hosting the FTP on was no longer accessable to me, and even before I lost access to it, NO ONE (for a solid 5 weeks or so) uploaded any logs.... which are integral to anyone who wants to make a homebrewed server for PSO. I know for about half a week that the FTP was down, and I know that the website for this project is/was crap, but the page isn't the goddamn focus of this endevour. =-)
Anyway, I'm on a new comp now that I can do whatever I want with. I'm putting up an FTP server for this project. If no one wants to even attempt to upload a log of any size to it for, say, 2 weeks, I'll just give up on it again and someone else can try marshalling up the players to make logs and send 'em to a server.
Well, I'll tell ya'll the address when I set it up (about an hour or so). See ya.
BTW..... if the webpage is so much crap, don't go to it. I spent 5 minutes on it, as I don't really give a damn if it looks good or not.... all I cared about was it had directions on how to make your own logs.
Who reads that dumb text at the bottom of a post? Oh, I guess you do.
dkoikadabra
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

server up..... goal stated

Post by dkoikadabra »

whoo! The FTP server (should) work. just point your FTP client to PSOProject.d2g.com , with the login of annonymous (no password required). Uploads only, of course, with 15 users login max (seeing the record of the last time I tried this, 15 open slots is more than enough).
Also, an earlier post asks the goal of this project. Simple: to make a functioning server for PSO. Not a great one, or a stable one, but a working one. Stability and extra features can be added later (if at all). Have fun!
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Logs

Post by 004 »

I will try to post some logs on the FTP server soon. You want them done using Snort, right?
dkoikadabra
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

blarg

Post by dkoikadabra »

Sure, Snort is cool..... I'd say some other packetsniffer is cool but all the other ones are crap, IMO.
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

Since PSO is made to ocnnect to a specific IP I don't think you could make a homebrew internet server, but a LAN would be easier. Just make the server IP the same as SEGA uses. You would have to like burn a whole new version of PSO to make it connect to a different IP and yet again that brings up legal issues
kRYPT_
DCFactory Creator
DCFactory Creator

Post by kRYPT_ »

This is up for debate, and it requires logs to see what's trully going on.
If PSO looks up a hostname (such as pso.seganet.com or something), then a dns-poisoning attack would work, and we could change the IP of whatever host it's looking up.
If it connects to an IP, without looking anything up, it could still be done, but it requires some funking NATing..
Prophet][ wrote:Since PSO is made to ocnnect to a specific IP I don't think you could make a homebrew internet server, but a LAN would be easier. Just make the server IP the same as SEGA uses. You would have to like burn a whole new version of PSO to make it connect to a different IP and yet again that brings up legal issues
ShadowofBob
ShadowOfBob
ShadowOfBob

Post by ShadowofBob »

Could this be done with other games as well? Alien Front Online had its IP adress for the gaming server hardwired into the game and Sega had to shutdown its servers and lost the IP so now the servers are down forever. Is it possible to find out the address its trying to acess and somehow make your own server?
Ringwraith
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Ringwraith »

Ok, where are you with this project? Anyone accepted the responsibility of starting the programming?
"Nothing good ever came from being around normal people" OUTLAW STAR
kRYPT_
DCFactory Creator
DCFactory Creator

Post by kRYPT_ »

If there are no real servers, there can be no homebrewed server. We need something to immitate..
ShadowofBob wrote:Could this be done with other games as well? Alien Front Online had its IP adress for the gaming server hardwired into the game and Sega had to shutdown its servers and lost the IP so now the servers are down forever. Is it possible to find out the address its trying to acess and somehow make your own server?
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

Their has been quite a lot of post since I lasted posted on this topic, to many to read so this may have been posted already. BUT I have some ideas,

Idea 1) To find info on Seag PSO server, use the PC to DC server thing and then use the DOS commandes like netstat -n and so on to find the ip's and other server info that could be helpfun in making a PSO server.

Idea 2) I remember visting the SEGA website once on my DC and it had a link that said "PLAY PSO NOW!!!!" I click it and it asked for my PSO cd wich I put in and connected my straight to the server with no menus or nothin. Could something like this be used to connect people to a homebrew Server???

This ideas haven't really been thought out so please dismiss them if need be
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

I like that voteing question but actually I would consider it.

I think it would be possible if someone wrote a server emulator for it. I mean there is 2 Everquest Server Emulators out there and Everquest is a lot more complex then this game is.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
vicviper74
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

JEES MAN I BEEN SAYIN THIS LIKE FOREVER

Post by vicviper74 »

Yes please make it do whatever u have to do. I miss playing that game. Or make it so its kinda like an Install server like an all in one ftp ya know where u can install somthing like xbconnect. with ur own ip as a server ftp thingy

Or make a boot disc, where u can dial up a a server # b4 u log in

Hell i dont know
Thease r just thoughts
Since people seem to message me for nuthin!!! I removed my messenger link ha ha ha ha
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

Talking about Everquest emulation, Battle.net was emulated by a program called FSGS. But Blizzard soon stoped that and I think the makers are getting sued for copyright infringments.

The bottom line is that you would have to at least look at the code for the server and use some of it. That my friends is illegal and some people on these forums are quite against illegal stuff.

But I'm all for it, even if it is illegal. I want to keep playing PSO.
vicviper74
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

ok

Post by vicviper74 »

What i really want to know is, Have u made a way to log into the ftp server? give us a clue. Tell us how u did it. Does it work properly? Are u even working on this still? i really want to know. dont want to get my hopes uo too high. Do u have a site where i can visit ur work.
Since people seem to message me for nuthin!!! I removed my messenger link ha ha ha ha
Ringwraith
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Ringwraith »

:twisted:

Well, this is how I see it. Remember the Genesis modem? Sega net? Remember the Sega Channel? How about the Saturn Netlink? Gone, with no chance of revival that I'm aware of. Which is a very real tragedy. I'm 32, so I'm an older gamer I guess, so I remember these things. Are we going to let the same thing happen to the Dreamcast? So many people here have done incredible work on this platform, making the Dreamcast THE "supersystem"!

Skeptics and naysayers laugh while you can,............. we have a plan, and the ability to marshal the resources. It may take years, but it can be done. This wouldn't be the first time we've been told something wasn't possible, and been triumphant!

But I would like to point out a couple things that I feel that has been overlooked.

1) This project is not meant to come online till after every DC server is gone.........forever. NOT to compete with the existing servers.
2) The idea is to "one day" resurrect PSO (insert game of your choice) online on a very small scale between a few close friends, not a huge network to rival Sega's.
3) It's more a way to say 10-20-40 years down the road, "Yea, I played PSO.......wanna see?" and astound your great grand children and friends......... lol
4) And to plan ahead for nostalgias sake.

Sure, if everyone is gonna get the newest "rehash" of these games on a newer system, then I guess the idea is pointless.......or is it?

I'm not a pirate looking to cheat Sega out of money by setting up a free server.......... I'm a hard-core gamer planning ahead for the day that there is no more Phantasy Star Online.....on any system.

So I set this as a Challenge to the tech peeps, a "Holy Grail" if you prefer.

To make this a reality.........period.

If you're new to this thread, or have allready replied earlier in it and you feel as I do, then this is what you do.

Reply to this topic again to show your support, and to confirm any new findings or progress you've made. This is where I see we are at now.

Hornpipe2

"Let me explain the project.
Normally you'd configure the DC to dial up your ISP as needed. Then you get on PSO and tell it to connect. PSO software tells the DC modem to dial up your ISP, and you've got an online connection. At this point the DC looks up "pso.sega.com" or whatever the DNS entry is (I'm not sure, it's earlier in this post anyway). Sega distributes IP addresses of working servers ("ships", as they are called in the game). The DC disconnects from Sega's main server and connects to one of the IPs, which accepts the connection and then ruuns a game fron there.
So...
This project comes in at the "dial up your ISP" part. Instead, you rig your DC through your PC's free modem so it dials up your PC, and the PC will then route the DC to the PSO server through there. (note - requires an available Broadband connection, I think... though if you had two modems, you could also try that.) More info is available at http://www.dcvision.com/mterlouw/ if you want it - this is personally how I connect to PSO anyway. Then, the (our) program tricks the DC into thinking it has opened a connection to pso.sega.com by faking a new IP under that domain name. (That's the easy part - just run your own DNS server with one entry and your own IP in place.) The program will then distribute active server IPs allowing the DC to connect to any compter currently running the server software. (This will take a little hacking, but should not be too terribly difficult.) Homebrew server software runs a Sega-style PSO "ship" from there. (That's the hard part)
Notice that the only dialing done is between your DC and your own PC, so nobody needs eight modems. The rest is handled through software internet protocol connections to various IP addresses.

The PSO game itself dials up servers and handles all DC modem work that would need to be done. This project would only handle already open always-on connections based off a PC - all generally known topics anyway. (Note that the eventual goal of this project is a clone of Sega's PSO servers running off of a home PC... limited to about eight players or so.) Thus the project is a matter of analyzing packets........)"
kRYPT

"This falls under the "interoperable programs" cause of the DMCA, as we fear the original is going to die.

So until Sega, who can't seem to afford to keep the game servers running, comes in and tells us to stop, I'd encourage you guys to get those packets dumped"
MrBOB

"However, I think I have an idea to catch the PSO data without setting up a DC-PPP server. Set up a proxy server on your computer (has to be broadband for this to be effective). Then run TCPDump on your computer. In the PSO options, set the Proxy server to your home computer. Start up PSO and dial through a phone line. PSO should send all the data throught your home computer proxy, so TCPDump can catch it.

If you have Windows, check out Windump (http://netgroup-serv.polito.it/windump/), the Windows version of TCPDump. Also, for a proxy server, check out http://macronet.tucows.com/proxyserver95.html .(Also http://www.analogx.com/contents/downloa ... /proxy.htm)

Maybe someone with a cable connection is willing to leave a proxy server and TCPDump running for a few days. That way, people who want to help can use this computer as a proxy and play PSO as usual, but will also be helping crack PSO."

"Yo. Sounds like a cool idea. The first thing I'd do is set up a DC-PPP server, so your dreamcast goes onto the internet through your computer. Check out http://home.elp.rr.com/terlouw/DCWinMEServer.htm . The page also has info on how to set up PSO to play through your computer.
Then get a program to watch the information going from Dreamcast to PSO server and see if you can crack the way they send information back and forth (what the Dreamcast sends, what the server replies, what does the dreamcast send if you do a specific thing in the game (ex. more right), what does the server reply to your moving, what is sent to your dreamcast if another player moves). I think the Connections Watcher on the link above will do the trick.
Finally write a program to answer to the dreamcast the way the real PSO server does. If you manage to crack the protocol that PSO uses in the step above, I'm sure you could get someone to write the program. One person would run the server on his computer and the rest would route to it. Routing would be done simply the way it is on the link above, but instead of routing to the PSO server youd route to your freinds computer, and the person running the server would route to himself (127.0.0.1).
I think this is definately possible but may take some work in cracking the protocol. The reason Sega houses its servers in warehouses is that their servers have to handle thousands of people loggin on, moving around, doing stuff, and has to manage that. I'm sure that a server could be made that allows 8 people on and could run on a standard home computer. Wait a sec!!
Actually, you don't have to run it through your computer. You can just set up the DNS server on the same server thats running the homemade PSO server. Then, you give out that IP address to everyone you want to play with. In the Dreamcast modem settings for PSO, you set this IP address to this homemade DNS server. You connect normally through your Dreamcast, and the homemade DNS server redirects you to the homemade PSO server.
Example: Joe wants to run a PSO server. His IP address is, lets say, 206.254.64.1. He gives out this number to everyone who wants to play on it (or maybe posts it on a message board or something). The people who want to play put this number in as their DNS server in the DC Internet options. The DC contacts 206.254.64.1, thinking it is a real DNS server and gets the IP of what it thinks is the Sega PSO server. Joes computer however just tells it that the PSO server is at 206.254.64.1, his IP. PSO connects to Joe's homebrew server.... etc
However, there is an upside to running a DNS server on every player's computer, forcing you to run your DC through your computer. You could make a program that searches the internet for homemade PSO servers that are running then lets you select one from your computer. With the one DNS method, you can't do this."
And finally..........time is of the essence.
kRYPT

"If there are no real servers, there can be no homebrewed server. We need something to immitate..........."
"Nothing good ever came from being around normal people" OUTLAW STAR
tidal
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by tidal »

well the DC PSO servers are dead..... now what???

I still have two BBA enabled DC's each with their own copies of PSO
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

I've e-mailed seaga asking if they will releases a server protocal, but I don't think they will. But its worth an ask
StelardActek
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by StelardActek »

I'm pretty sure that the PSO protocol has actually already been hacked by a rather noturious hacker called Barubary. He apparently did it by reverse engineering the client (game disc).
Now, if we can perhaps convince him to share...
Last edited by StelardActek on Thu Oct 03, 2002 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There was a time once... a time when I believed in Justice... Rightiousness!"
- Admiral Munetake
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

Even if he did start his own PSO server. Everyone would have to download a hacked version of the game so it owuld connect to his server. Alsothe authentication would have be delt with somehow unless a boot disc could be make.

SEGA told me to talk to someone else, so I sent an e-mail to who they told me and he said to talk to someone else, but he's not sure who.