Chex Quest for Dreamcast!

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
DoomDan
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by DoomDan »

Alright here's some things that you guys should know about in Chex Quest. I know a lot about Chex Quest since I played it when I was younger (when it first came out). First of all, Chex Quest only goes up to E1M5, so all other episodes should be deleted besides Knee-Deep In The Dead. Also, when going to New Game in the Chex Quest menu it should go strate to the Select Difficulty screen and should not show the Which Episode screen. When quiting the game, it should say "Please don't leave, we need your help! Press Y To Quit To DOS". Since Chex Quest only goes up to E1M5, the ending screen should be shown when you rescue the good guys at the end of that level, and it should say "Mission Accomplished. Are You Ready For The Nex Mission? Press ESC To Continue", then it would show the screen with the Chex guy and it would say "The Mission Continues" & "www.chexquest.com". Flemoids shouldn't have clips and weapons falling out of them after being killed, and the music should be changed, too. I think it would be best if somebody just releases a seperate Chex Quest port that would run chex.exe so the game would run the way it should. I would like to help you guys out with this stuff but I don't know how to do any of this, all I know is how to download the DC software you guys made and make it work on my Dreamcast.
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

Ya, actually I think you did start all this crap, damn you!!!

Thankx for the info, I have not sat and played all the way through Chex Quest so that info will help a lot when I get back to working on it, Aura has created a new Deh patch for it which is on the DOOM page, so it should play a lot more like the original than before, currently some of the graphics and text screens still need worked on, and I think one of the enemies show up as invisible for some reason. I belive Aura has plans to take Chex Quest 1, 2, and 3, and combine them into one gianst IWAD, meaning it will play without needing DOOM at all, but he and I are kinda busy right now so we have been putting Chex Quest on the back burner, or at least I don't think he is working on it atm, then again he may be and has not said anything. :)

Thankx for bringing this game to our attention, it is a nice alternative for those who can not stomache all the 8-bit violence, and satanic gore!
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

You certainly did. In fact, you may have accedentaly started the nxDoom project too (Chex Quest is the reason I tried to get the DoomDC source to compile, which is when I just gave up and started my own port, which became nxDoom).

I'm currently not working on Chex Quest MegaIWAD version, but I did do something kinda similar with HacX. I just need to write a few more tools and engine features to properly support Chex Quest in nxDoom.
DoomDan
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DoomDan »

good news everyone! i downloaded xwe, so now im gettin to work on the chex quest wad. i will change n delete a lot of the stuff, and ill put all chex quest 1, 2, & 3 levels in it. chex quest 1 will be episode 1, chex quest 2 will be episode 2, and u know the rest.
DoomDan
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DoomDan »

nevermind, i changed my mind, im not gonna work on the chex quest wad.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Merging Chex Quest 1, 2 and 3 into one WAD is a pain, because they use different textures that have the same name. Aaargh!
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

Ha ha ha, that is funny DOOM Dan, did you see the complications then freak or what?!?! :)

Aura, that would be a LOT of work don't you think?!?!? Personally I would not bother trying to merge them all into one WAD because you know you would have to re-name and reassing a crapload of textures just to get it working. What I would do is take that FreeDOOM beta you got sittng there, and make an IWAD out of Chex Quest, work in support for it in nxDOOM beta 3 or what ever, then have Chex Quest 2 and 3 as add-ons for it.

Actually, could you upload that beta to the page somewhere so I could tinker with it? :) I have never made an IWAD before, I would be interested in checking into that!
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

I can do it. I just need to finish some more of my editing tools. This does mean that I'm going to end up with a tool specifically designed to merge WADs with incompatable textures into one WAD file. A PC could do it in maybe three minutes. It'd take be weeks. So I'll just instrust the PC on how to do it, and let it get on with it.

Oh yeah - the FreeDoom site on SourceForge has some WADs up. They're about 80% done, not including the levels.
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

I want your TOOLS when your done, that sounds very interesting!

Thankx for letting me know about the freedoom files, I have not looked at the project since it moved, that is great newz!
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

You don't want these tools. It's basically just a C function library, and every function you want to do has to be coded in. Manually. Ouch!

I'll add a GUI later, of course. Actually, a CLI would be an improvement.
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

So this tool, what exactly does it do? Rename textures and assign them for you?
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

At the moment, no. But what it will do is read the texture definitions from the WAD file, and then compare the patches/flats to find which ones are different. Then, it will rename all textures that have the same name but different contents from the second WAD, scan all levels in that WAD and rename the textures there, then merge both WADs into a single file.
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

Ya, that would be GREAT, and perhaps something that could find missing textures, and give you a list of what is missing, or if it could allow you to select what texture you want to place in the missing spot...
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

i remember that game. i wish i still had the cd.
MetalGearRay
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by MetalGearRay »

e1x5x wrote:i remember that game. i wish i still had the cd.
If you have a look at the first few pages, there is a download link.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

There's an outdated version of the version of Chex Quest I put together by hexediting crt0's DoomDC over on DC Homebrew, and there's a newer version based on nxDoom on the Dreamcast Doom homepage here.
yodanut
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by yodanut »

The nxDoom site link appears to be down. :(
Metroid Evolution
Helping evolve the Metroid series.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Oops... That should have been Chex.rar, not chex.rar... Forgot that it was case-sensitive!
DoomDan
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DoomDan »

can someone tell me what software i could use to make a chex quest port for dreamcast, like is there any software i can get from dev.dcemulation.org so the chex quest port for dreamcast can finally be good cause i would work on it if i knew how to
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Basically, you need a cross-compiler for the Dreamcast and the Doom source code. At the moment, Chex Quest will only work nearly correctly under nxDoom. You could modify the nxDoom source code to play Chex Quest only, and do it perfectly - it wouldn't be that difficult.