Some kind of VJ application.

This is a forum for discussing the feasibility of getting emulators, games, or other applications that have had their source released ported to the Dreamcast. Please read the Porting FAQ before starting a topic in this forum!
Rabot
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Some kind of VJ application.

Post by Rabot »

I don't know if it would be simple/possible to make some VJ app.

VJ as Video jockey, or video mixer.

Main feature would be

Playing clips (at least 1 I guess)
Create some loop (having the video replaying itself) and being able to choose the lenght of the clip, speed.
Adding some basic effects like pixellating the clip (if that's the right word) or adding some color filter over it (making the clip more red...)

Since you can only have one video output on the Dreamcast, I was thinking about having the VMU deeply involved with the whole thing.
I don't even know if it's possible to use the controller to move in a "VMU" menu.

The VMU would control the clip launched, then you could have some kind of info on the VMU telling the lenght of the clip...
You,d have to kow the control by heart I guess.

Triggers could be use to trim the clip, if you click again it plays the clip from the start, the right would play it until the end.
The X button would add more Blue, B more Red, Y more Yellow, A would reset it to original value.

I have some other idea, but I'm just wondering if a project like that would work.

Thanks in advance.
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Re: Some kind of VJ application.

Post by OneThirty8 »

It might be possible, but such a program wouldn't be simple. The video files wouldn't be able to be that great, and using the VMU screen would be pretty tricky because it's not very big. I doubt that it would really be worth the effort, because you couldn't really do very much in the way of real-time effects, and in order to do transitions between two videos, you would need to buffer big chunks of the movies since reading two from disc at once wouldn't work out too well. I certainly wouldn't have the time to create such a program.
Rabot
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Re: Some kind of VJ application.

Post by Rabot »

Thanks for the quick answer :)

Just trying to figure out how to use a Dreamcast in visual entertaining. .. well not gaming.
How to use it on a live set.