BoneyCork is a Married Man

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Specially Cork
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

BoneyCork is a Married Man

Post by Specially Cork »

When I first posted on here over 6 years ago, I was 15, and I never thought I'd be here for anything more than help with DC-related stuff. But now I'm still here, having grown up with a lot of you guys. I'm now 22, and posting about my marriage. I don't think I really have to go into the details, just that I'm now married with a career.
Of course, this means I'll probably be settling down in China, which is an interesting prospect, but considering that I have longed to leave the UK since I was about 13-14, it isn't as daunting as some may expect. Plus I happen to really like it here.
I'm off to The Maldives next week on my honeymoon too. Woohoo!
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life
Has thanked: 0

Re: BoneyCork is a Married Man

Post by Nico0020 »

Congrats sir. yea totally strange thinking about it that so many of us are still regulars. Started just as simple DC stuff, but a lot of us ask for just life related advice and get decent responses from people who had done it or who are currently in similar situations. I was in my freshman year of high school when I started to post here, maybe a bit before. Now I am in my 4th year of college. Totally crazy. Hell I have a few gamers from here that I game with on regular basis through live/talk to on AIM and I consider them IRL friends as much as we know eachother.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster
Been thanked: 0

Post by JuddWack »

Woh! I'm totally speechless. Congrats man! Have fun on the honeymoon.
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

Whoa wtf congrats man.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Wait, was it just a spur of the moment thing, or have you been planning a wedding for a while now? Because I didn't even know you were engaged.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

melancholy wrote:Wait, was it just a spur of the moment thing, or have you been planning a wedding for a while now? Because I didn't even know you were engaged.

He mentioned it on IRC a few days ago, so a few of us knew he was engaged, but it's still nuts.

Congrats Boney.
It's thinking...
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

Crap, I'm 22 and I still party and do nothing.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Maybe 22 is a little young, but we've been living together for a good while now, and we're completely in love...so that's the way it's gone. :grin:
melancholy wrote:Wait, was it just a spur of the moment thing, or have you been planning a wedding for a while now? Because I didn't even know you were engaged.
We've not actually had the wedding yet.

I should explain:

Marriage in China: Me and my wife-to-be bring my UK passport, a certificate of no impedement, her ID card, and her family register to the town hall in the capital of the province. You take a numbered-ticket, wait you turn, then sign a form and pay $1*. You both get given marriage certificates, congratulations, you're married.

The town-hall setup, and the fact lots of people live nowhere near the capital of their province (9 hour train journey for me) has turned the actual marriage part into an eventless bit of beauracracy. Anything wedding-related takes place later.

"Wedding Photo" companies will charge you $200 to simulate those precious memories you never made: 5 costume changes, make-up, and a day of photo-taking on-location and in the studio give you a nice portfolio of romantic husband & wife shots.

The rest these days is up to you. Being foreign, and with no chance of my family making it out here, her family decided to forego anyting too Chinese and traditional. They're giving us a big meal and celebration tonight, and have paid for clothes/the honeymoon etc. Her family have very openly accepted me which has been great and was a heavy factor in how fast this all came together.

For my family's side, we're holding the celebration back to December so we can hop across to the UK to celebrate Christmas and New Years too, which should be great. Luckily my wife's family are rich enough to be able to speed-up the visa process (not many foreigners marry Chinese with an intent to reside in China, I've seen at least 3 since I've been her who "met" their wives online and take them back to their country 2 weeks later).

Sadly considering I'm marrying somebody Chinese, I've had to put up with a few "she's just with you for your money / a way to get to the UK" comments. It's understandable, but in this case I am completely confident it isn't true. Her family are considerably richer than me (they own the biggest dairy farm in the province, 3 blocks of apartments, 2 factories and a gold-mine), and she wants to use her own savings to buy us property here within the next couple of months so I can stop wasting money on rent - which is nice.

(*Sadly that $1 marriage card isn't valid outside China, if you want anywhere else to care that you're married - like your own country - you need to cough up around $100 for a notarized certificate :( - fuckers )
hearld500
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by hearld500 »

You know, it really is weird to think about being here that long.
But congrats sir.
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by gamedudex2 »

congrats.

I'm not planning on getting married for a long time. I just don't want to settle down, at least not til late 30s or early-mid 40s maybe. im going on 27, and plan to move to la next year. Trying to get into afi. interested in la film school though for the time being. Im trying to go for production design , while i still try and build my portfolio enough to get into AFI. I'm looking at fall 2009 for my big move to Los Angeles .
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

Well, I just met you on here recently, but congrats anyway!
I hope the marriage is a successful one.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Just got back from the meal with her family. Considering I can only speak some very basic Chinese, I was amazed at how friendly and welcoming they were. I kind of feel sad for my own family in a way, because I have never felt that I missed them as much as I probably should, and now I have this second family here i seem even more distant from them in a way. Chinese don't do "in-laws"; her mom is now my mom, her dad is my dad, I am her sister's brother etc. etc. so everybody feels really close.

I guess the next step is children, but we've both agreed to wait a couple of years for that, because we want non-rented property and I want a better job. After everything thats happened in the past 12 months (I was a single, depressed, unemployed university drop-out this time last year) I am really in the mood for some steady-going down-time.
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

pixel wrote:Crap, I'm 22 and I still party and do nothing.
Same.

Congrats again Boney!
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Code-Red »

Congrats Boney.

Good luck with your adventures in China.
JKKDARK
Choking On Cock 24/7
Choking On Cock 24/7

Post by JKKDARK »

Congratulations! You're still too young, but if you feel it's correct decision, it's fine ;)
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Be sure to post some wedding pictures here, and the honeymoon pictures in the other forum. :wink:
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

Good luck. If it doesn't work out, there's always divorce. I think. There IS divorce in China, right? Nah, there must be, and I'm sure it's a breeze. Sure of that.

:|

CHEERS
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

How fucking grown up, good work boney. Does this mean our evening webcam sessions are over?
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

:o
Congratulations and best of luck to you. :grin:
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

not just souLLy now wrote:How fucking grown up, good work boney. Does this mean our evening webcam sessions are over?
He still has his morning sessions with me, so I think you're safe.