WEAR A SMILE OR DIE

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

WEAR A SMILE OR DIE

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Beijing citizens have been told not to pick their noses, yawn or scratch their heads when talking to foreigners during the Olympics.

They have also been given a list of things not to ask overseas visitors - a list so exhaustive it could make conversation difficult.

Ordinary people have also been given detailed instructions on how to talk to disabled people during the Paralympics.

Chinese officials want ordinary people to show the country's most civilised face during the sporting events.

A booklet prepared by the propaganda department of Beijing's Dongcheng District gives locals an introduction to the games.

It has a special section on dealing with foreigners, including what to do when talking to overseas visitors.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7514035.stm
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Re: WEAR A SMILE OR DIE

Post by Eviltaco64X »

I wonder what that can get the Chinese government to feed its people.

They're probably trying to scare the people and convince them that China is a wonderful, clean, and efficient Communist paradise.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

They're probably trying to scare the people and convince them that China is a wonderful, clean, and efficient Communist paradise.
Your average Chinese person doesn't need to be scared or convinced into believing their country is a nice place to live. Some missing fundamental human rights is certainly a problem, but it doesn't mean their life is automatically shitty. Most Chinese have lifestyles no different from most westerners. There's no huge reason for them not to be content.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

I wonder what that can get the Chinese government to feed its people.
Believe it or not, in most of the country, they do. It's actually one of their better accomplishments - simply feeding so many people consistently over such a large country.

But yeah, I want to see the list of things not to talk about...
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

Free trade.
Capitalism.
Bathroom brakes.
...Umm, social security?
:p
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

BoneyCork wrote:Most Chinese have lifestyles no different from most westerners.

There's no way this is even remotely true.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Wagh wrote:

Choose not to believe it if you want, but I see it with my eyes everyday. I'm not living in some rich area of Beijing either; I live in a relatively poor secondary city.
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

BoneyCork wrote:
Wagh wrote:

Choose not to believe it if you want, but I see it with my eyes everyday. I'm not living in some rich area of Beijing either; I live in a relatively poor secondary city.
Sure some may have a chance at not living in poverty. But with a country with a population above 1 billion, saying "most" chinese live like westerners is just false.
Giving H-E-A-D head
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Wagh wrote:Sure some may have a chance at not living in poverty.
According to the CIA World Factbook, "some" = 92%. Even if the definition of poverty is different from that in the west, the fact you seem to believe living in poverty is the norm in China shows your opinion and knowledge of the country is far too inaccurate for you to argue with me - so just don't bother.
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

BoneyCork wrote:
According to the CIA World Factbook, "some" = 92%. Even if the definition of poverty is different from that in the west, the fact you seem to believe living in poverty is the norm in China shows your opinion and knowledge of the country is far too inaccurate for you to argue with me - so just don't bother.
I fail to see how china could sustain a large middle class and upper class with 1.3 billion people. Sure, it may be large compared to european standards and maybe american standards. But even the entire american middleclass takes up 300 million people. That's 1/4 the population of china. If they all kicked it like westerners then well who knew china was already developed. Didn't realise they were so much more well off than even your worst off americans. Shows what I know :roll:
Giving H-E-A-D head
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus »

But even the entire american middleclass takes up 300 million people.
Actually, the entire American population takes up 300 million people.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Wagh wrote:
BoneyCork wrote:
I fail to see how china could sustain a large middle class and upper class with 1.3 billion people. Sure, it may be large compared to european standards and maybe american standards. But even the entire american middleclass takes up 300 million people. That's 1/4 the population of china. If they all kicked it like westerners then well who knew china was already developed. Didn't realise they were so much more well off than even your worst off americans. Shows what I know :roll:
I was just trying to point out that today's Chinese society has far more in common with us in the west than it does with extreme dictatorships like North Korea, or impoverished nations like those in Africa. From my interpretation of Eviltaco's posts and Jeeba's topic title this does not seem to be so well-known.

I personally wouldn't define "having a western lifestyle" as "having a developed country's social structure".
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

BoneyCork wrote:
Wagh wrote:
BoneyCork wrote:
I was just trying to point out that today's Chinese society has far more in common with us in the west than it does with extreme dictatorships like North Korea, or impoverished nations like those in Africa. From my interpretation of Eviltaco's posts and Jeeba's topic title this does not seem to be so well-known.

I personally wouldn't define "having a western lifestyle" as "having a developed country's social structure".
And I didn't say China is like poor African Nations or like a dictatorship. So whatever.

As for a developed social structure... not what I was talking about. If infact "most" chinese lived like westerners then china would have the most infrastructure in the world. But they don't.
Giving H-E-A-D head
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Wagh wrote:And I didn't say China is like poor African Nations or like a dictatorship. So whatever.

As for a developed social structure... not what I was talking about. If infact "most" chinese lived like westerners then china would have the most infrastructure in the world. But they don't.
I know you didn't say that. I was referring to my first post. I'm just pointing out that the meaning I was trying to put across and the meaning you got are 2 completely different things.