You are born gay.

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

You are born gay.

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

The brains of gay men and women look like those found in straight people of the opposite sex, research suggests.

The Swedish study, published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences journal, compared the size of the brain's halves in 90 adults.

Gay men and straight women had halves of a similar size, while the right side was bigger in lesbian women and straight men.

A UK scientist said this was evidence sexual preference was set in the womb.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7456588.stm
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
Christuserloeser

Re: You are born gay.

Post by Christuserloeser »

How's that evidence for anything ? Doesn't ones brain grow during childhood too ?
Insane homebrew collector.
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus »

Jeeba Jabba wrote:
The brains of gay men and women look like those found in straight people of the opposite sex, research suggests.

The Swedish study, published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences journal, compared the size of the brain's halves in 90 adults.

Gay men and straight women had halves of a similar size, while the right side was bigger in lesbian women and straight men.

When my brain was forming, I chose to make it asymmetric.
FiendWithoutAface
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by FiendWithoutAface »

Roofus wrote:
Jeeba Jabba wrote:

When my brain was forming, I chose to make it asymmetric.
LOL
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Roofus wrote:When my brain was forming, I chose to make it asymmetric.
:guffaw:
It's thinking...
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Roofus wrote:When my brain was forming, I chose to make it asymmetric.
:lol:

But that's not exactly what I meant. Personally I think that sexuality is heavily influenced by the circumstances in your early live so (like almost everything) it's not simply a biological thing.
Insane homebrew collector.
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

I think homosexuality is nature's way of correcting for over-population.

Plus, just because brain size is similar doesn't mean much. Correlation does not prove causation.
No signature.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

toastman wrote:Plus, just because brain size is similar doesn't mean much.
They were correlating symmetry, not size.
toastman wrote:Correlation does not prove causation.
That doesn't mean that a result like this can simply be ignored. There are only a handful of explanations that are even remotely plausible.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

Ex-Cyber wrote:
toastman wrote:Plus, just because brain size is similar doesn't mean much.
They were correlating symmetry, not size.
toastman wrote:Correlation does not prove causation.
That doesn't mean that a result like this can simply be ignored. There are only a handful of explanations that are even remotely plausible.
No, they were comparing the size of each hemisphere. They are basically saying people with a larger right hemisphere prefer women. If symmetry mattered, then if the left half were bigger would mean the same as the right being bigger.

But this could be a symptom of something else (a certain level of testosterone). Or, it could be irrelevant. Let's look at that blurb again. Swedish scientists note that in 90 adults people who prefer women have larger right hemispheres. So, a UK scientist uses this to say that people are born gay.

We are missing a few steps here. Like the fact that there are more than a couple of years between being a fetus and being an adult. Junk science is still junk science even if it gives intolerant bastards fits.
No signature.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

I'm not sure anybody really cares about the UK scientist's interpretation; I pretty much forgot about it within 30 seconds of reading the article, because I thought the correlation itself was interesting. The article is crap (like most mainstream science reporting, sadly).
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

Ex-Cyber wrote:I'm not sure anybody really cares about the UK scientist's interpretation; I pretty much forgot about it within 30 seconds of reading the article, because I thought the correlation itself was interesting. The article is crap (like most mainstream science reporting, sadly).
But the Swedes only noted the difference and said there must be something that set it off (either before or after birth (which are really the only two choices you have so the basically said "Some time")). They implied nothing about the mechanism. Hell, they didn't even say that the size was the cause of preference, only that those with a certain preference have a certain configuration. It is a lecturer totally unrelated to the study who is making all sorts of unfounded claims about this being proof being gay is set in the womb.

For all we know, it could be preference that causes the size difference rather than the other way around.
No signature.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

toastman wrote:
Ex-Cyber wrote:I'm not sure anybody really cares about the UK scientist's interpretation; I pretty much forgot about it within 30 seconds of reading the article, because I thought the correlation itself was interesting. The article is crap (like most mainstream science reporting, sadly).
But the Swedes only noted the difference and said there must be something that set it off (either before or after birth (which are really the only two choices you have so the basically said "Some time")). They implied nothing about the mechanism. Hell, they didn't even say that the size was the cause of preference, only that those with a certain preference have a certain configuration.
What I'm trying to tell you is that I find that result interesting without having to assume a particular interpretation. Hopefully some scientists out there agree and will study it further.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

I really hope this doesn't get taken too far, and babies are aborted just because there's a chance that they might become homosexual.