Mobile phone thread

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Mobile phone thread

Post by ace »

I'm interested in what applications everyone has on their mobile phones. Please also post the operating system, as well what phone you use and maybe any interesting mods or hacks. I'm specifically interested in Windows Mobile, but I don't want to discriminate against you iPhone fanboiz *cough*|darc|*cough*.

I've got an HTC Touch running Windows Mobile 6.1.

I use:

- Google Maps - I really shouldn't have to explain this one, but it's a map/GPS/directions/routing application.
- Palringo - AIM/MSN/Google Chat/ICQ/etc. I mainly use it for AIM and MSN Messenger.
- Pocket IRC - Decent little IRC client for PocketPC. Full screen mode gives a nice free reading area.
- Veveo Vtap - Search, browse and view web videos. It's a great piece of software. I have never had an issue finding a video before, I can select the video and audio quality, force it to sync if it doesn't, etc.
- Skype - I haven't given this too much air time (no pun intended) yet, but it seems interesting and would be a great way for me to save on my long distance calls.
- I had a hack of AT&T Mobi TV and Sirius Satelite Radio for the longest time. Getting free satelite radio and TV was pretty awesome. Admittedly it was pretty limited (roughly two dozen radio channels and half as many television), but having a dedicated The Office (US) channel that ran for 24 was bliss.
- Opera Mobile 9.5 - My favourite. Full webpage browsing. Very similar to Safari on the iPhone. It's got great finger-panning, intelligent zoom (aka Opera Zoom) that automatically formats the content to fit your screen, an incredibly intuitive menu system which hides when it's not needed (and can be fetched my just touching the lower right corner of the screen at any time), the ability to send photos and links as an MMS, SMS, or an e-mail. It's definitely the best mobile browser I've ever used.

- I'm also using the keyboard from the upcoming HTC Touch Diamond. They've worked out a great scheme to put everything you'd use on one screen.
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Re: Mobile phone thread

Post by curt_grymala »

I don't have anything running on my phone, as it is just a standard phone. No extra bells and whistles (not even a camera or anything).

I have browsed the web a handful of times, but it's extremely painful using my phone.

I've just got a standard Nextel phone.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

Jailbroken Apple iPhone. I'll let darc write out a humongous post about what we do on our phones.
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

I have a Samsung Beat. I don't have any software on it... I tried copying some applications like vNES to the phone and it won't install anything. Meh.
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by JuddWack »

I got a Sony Ericsson w710c. It's a love hate relationship but I'm about ready for a new one. I'm holding out for the HTC Dream. Hopefully it will come to TMobile.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

I have an LG VX5400. My mom wanted to replace her Razor, had upgrade money, and they had the deal where you can get a phone for free with it. We both got these.

They're pretty basic, with a few extra features. VGA camera, bluetooth. The battery life is very very good. 4.5-5 hours of talk, two weeks of standby. Buttons are very responsive. I'm happy with it - especially for free.

In terms of what I've got on it, I downloaded Doom RPG (which was excellent), Orcs and Elves II (which is also very good, uses the Doom RPG engine) and Age of Empires III mobile. AOEIII for my phone is apparently hugely cut down. You can build like 5 total different types of units, max pop of 15. Very short missions, very small maps, it's pretty terrible.

I wish there was some way of knowing when your phone gets the crap version.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
S. Thompson
The Fuzmeister
The Fuzmeister

Post by S. Thompson »

I just got one of the LG Env2s from Verizon. I had had a "new every two" deal I hadn't used for a year and decided it was time.

- Fuzmeister
adnans
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by adnans »

CDMA blackberry pearl. beejive for im, viigo for RSS, google maps, bbsmart for email formatting, opera mini for the web browser, a few games, a lot of other google apps, etc etc
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Man, I've totally fallen in love with MobileScrobbler, a fully-featured Last.fm client written by DCEmu's very own c99koder.

Listening to Last.fm Radio over WiFi or EDGE anywhere = pwn.
It's thinking...
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

|darc| wrote:Man, I've totally fallen in love with MobileScrobbler, a fully-featured Last.fm client written by DCEmu's very own c99koder.

... if only there was a similar thing for Pandora....
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Hasney wrote:
|darc| wrote:Man, I've totally fallen in love with MobileScrobbler, a fully-featured Last.fm client written by DCEmu's very own c99koder.

Sure is.

Looks like the 3G iPhone is going to get Slingplayer as well, which is beyond pwn.
I just installed something similar to Sling on my iPhone.

It's called SimplifyMedia, and you can install the streamer on your PC or Mac. It pulls songs from your iTunes Library, Winamp Library, or just specific folders you pick. Then, with the SimplifyMedia client on your iPhone, you can just access any of your music from your iPhone and stream it. You can view the album art, read the artist bio automatically pulled from Last.fm, or read the lyrics automatically pulled from LyricWiki. The only problem I have with it so far is that although it pulls artist bios from Last.fm, it doesn't have support for scrobbling your plays back to Last.fm.

We all know that it will be a long time before an iPhone with capacities reaching 80GB exist, so this is my only real option for listening to music from my iPhone on the go. I have 100GB of music and my 60GB iPod is quickly becoming obsolete on me. This only works where there is WiFi, but when the 2.0 firmware comes out, the iPhone will be able to work with the 802.1x authentication on my campus WiFi at LSU, which means whenever I am on campus, I will have access to over 100GB of music on my iPhone. And I can't think of anything else to call that but "pwn."
It's thinking...
gRiMgRaVy014
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by gRiMgRaVy014 »

I have a Samsung SGH-T619 that came free with my contract with T-Mobile.

I have no extra programs installed, nothing besides what was there when I got the phone more the year ago.

I don't need any extra things, I only use my phone for texting, talking, and the occasional picture message.
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit »

Hasney wrote: Looks like the 3G iPhone is going to get Slingplayer as well, which is beyond pwn.
Hot.

Someone tell me the iPhone has a decent shoutcast client and it might just be my next phone.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

|darc| wrote:And I can't think of anything else to call that but "pwn."
Oddly enough, my school's (Pace University) wireless network is called PWN (Pace Wireless Network). Makes it interesting when we rebroadcast the wired network in dorms without wireless as "PWNT". :lol:
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

sixteen-bit wrote:
Hasney wrote: Looks like the 3G iPhone is going to get Slingplayer as well, which is beyond pwn.
Hot.

Someone tell me the iPhone has a decent shoutcast client and it might just be my next phone.
I haven't tried it, but http://www.appsafari.com/utilities/135/ ... y-playing/ .

Also, vlc4iphone has shoutcast support. http://www.zodttd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2283
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

I just put my iPhone on ebay unlocked. They're going for $400-$500 right now. If I sell it, I'll buy a 3G iPhone and more than make up for the cost and the additional monthly charges.
It's thinking...
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

And it just sold Buy It Now for $420. :D
It's thinking...
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

MOTHERFUCKING BEJEWELED YO
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Standing in line for 1.5 hours. Servers going up and down. 100 or so people ahead of me. Should have enough stock they say.
It's thinking...
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Still in line, for about 4 hours now. At least I'm inside. Really want to get on IRC but I unjailbroke it before I came here with my old iPhone. Getting hungry.
It's thinking...