Giana's Return - World 1 betatesting video

This forum is for the posting of new newsposts, and it stores the site's news and comments archives. Only newsposters have access to post new news in here; if you wish to submit news, please post it in the discussion section for your particular topic. We may choose to move it here as a newspost if we find that it's worthy for the front page.
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Giana's Return - World 1 betatesting video

Post by Juan »

Today we got a 10 minutes video showing the entire first world, consisting of 8 stages and a boss.

Source: Giana's Return Progress Blog
Christuserloeser
Been thanked: 0

Re: Giana's Return - World 1 betatesting video

Post by Christuserloeser »

Looking very good, but there are a few things that I think could be improved:

(I hope that Kojote reads this)

1. (and most important:) the jumping sound effect! - I would recommend to use one similar to the C64 version, the current one from the Amiga version is just awful.

Here's a video of the C64 version:

2. 8 stages using one and the same graphical theme is just waaaay too much. Why not having an easy/normal/hard mode with a different number of stages ?

3. Grey, dark green and... brown ? o_O ...where's the purple from the earlier beta screenshots ? Why would one choose these uninspired dark colors ?

Image Image

4. I really like the music but two themes + boss track for 8 stages gets old VERY quickly. Again, I propose to offer easy/normal/hard modes with less stages.

Also, where is the tune from the preview/trailer video ?

5. I see way too many trees... - I liked the pipes from the original and the earlier betas. Where are they ? :|
Insane homebrew collector.
Sweater Fish
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Giana's Return - World 1 betatesting video

Post by Sweater Fish »

The only one of christuserloeser's points that I really agree about it is the color choices. The purple bricks look much better. They definitely enhance the stormy theme you're developing for the first world.

Otherwise I like the looks of this a lot.

I think you may be overusing the foreground layer. Having your character and the enemies obscured by foreground objects leads to a lot of unecessary frustration. Difficulty should come from good level design, not cheap tricks like enemies you can't see because they're behind a rock.

Also, how will the fireballs/lightning work in this version? They don't seem to bounce like they did in the original game and the earlier version of Giana's return released a few years ago. That was a great concept and I hope you haven't abandoned it for this version as it can really add a lot to the gameplay if the level design takes proper advantage of it.

I can't wait for a release. Try not to bludgeon us with videos, though. I don't want to see the entire game being played before I ever get a chance to play it myself (so "don't watch any more of the movies we release," right?)

...word is bondage...