Improving Dreamfrodo's saving and display (maybe also FMSX?)

This is a forum for discussing the feasibility of getting emulators, games, or other applications that have had their source released ported to the Dreamcast. Please read the Porting FAQ before starting a topic in this forum!
Jamirus
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Improving Dreamfrodo's saving and display (maybe also FMSX?)

Post by Jamirus »

This C64 emulator is already very solid, but I think it would benefit if somebody could take a look at the source and possibly implement the following:

- Saving disk changes (sectors). The standard savestates can take a lot of space, I think it would be very good if there's was an option to save like in Chui's emulators (DC Castaway and UAE4all).
I would suggest something similar for the FMSX port by Arnon Cardoso (well, actually more, since it doesn't support savestates, except for a limited number of Roms, not for disks at all), but I couldn't locate any source, so that might be out of the question altogether.

- Accurate (sharper) display. Maybe disable Bilinear filtering if that's the cause for the blur? I'm not sure if this is sufficent. Perhaps it needs a different videomode altogether (progressive output instead of 480i?). Currently, it looks pretty blurry, I recently tried the PS2 Vice port, and the display is quite sharper.
Christuserloeser

Re: Improving Dreamfrodo's saving and display (maybe also FMSX?)

Post by Christuserloeser »

Yeah, that would be nice.

Regarding the blur: Yeah, that probably is the bilinear filtering. It certainly has nothing to do with progressive/interlace, as it's enabled via a flag in the IP.BIN, and not the actual program. Dreamcast will always output 640x480p60 if a VGA box is connected - except that flag in the IP.BIN hasn't been set.

Also I would recommend to try MSXCast for the latest release/update of fMSX for Dreamcast: http://www.dreamcast-scene.com/index.php/Main/MSXCast

LTK's website at DCIberia is down, but you can email him at ltk666 AT gmail DOT com
Insane homebrew collector.
Jamirus
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie
Has thanked: 0

Re: Improving Dreamfrodo's saving and display (maybe also FMSX?)

Post by Jamirus »

Regarding progressive output, what I meant was not progressive output per se, but 240p instead of the standard 480i (when connected to a SDTV). Or in other words, just the implementation of the standard C64 320x200 resolution (with possible additional overscan) :wink:

Actually, that's an issue with a number of emulators not using accurate videomodes (e.g. the Nester variants, SMSplus), but I feel it's not that much of a problem there because they're flexible with the display through scaling and allowing to turn the filtering off.

I haven't tried MSXcast yet, because I was under the impression that it was still very much a WIP, and there was no sign of LTK working on it for quite a while, does it really already surpass the FMSX port I mentioned?