New PC

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Re: New PC

Post by melancholy »

Stormwatch wrote:Check this thread.

Me, I'd suggest Ubuntu, but I like it precisely because GNOME is less Windows-like than KDE... :lol:
Interesting, in that thread donnonotin mentioned getting PS7 running in Ubuntu. Though CS3 is the preferable option, getting any form of Photoshop running would be excellent. If I needed to make some quick graphics, PS7 would be perfectly fine, and when I know I have a big project ahead of me I could boot back into Windows for CS3.

I'm definitely looking into Ubuntu now.
Stormwatch
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan
Been thanked: 0

Post by Stormwatch »

If you're going to use Wine, be sure to check their app database.
Lines join in faint discord and the Stormwatch brews
. . a concert of Kings as the white sea snaps
. . at the heels of a soft prayer
. . whispered
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

melancholy wrote:
Stormwatch wrote:Check this thread.

Me, I'd suggest Ubuntu, but I like it precisely because GNOME is less Windows-like than KDE... :lol:
Interesting, in that thread donnonotin mentioned getting PS7 running in Ubuntu. Though CS3 is the preferable option, getting any form of Photoshop running would be excellent. If I needed to make some quick graphics, PS7 would be perfectly fine, and when I know I have a big project ahead of me I could boot back into Windows for CS3.

I'm definitely looking into Ubuntu now.
If my opinion means anything, I'd try SuSE if I were you. There were a few other people in that thread that recommended it, too.

I've use SuSE since version 9.1 (they're on 10.2 right now) and have always enjoyed using it. It doesn't take much to figure it out, the install is extremely easy, and you can find a lot of help in the suselinuxsupport.de forums.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

I'm about to install SuSe onto my laptop probably tomorrow if I can.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

I'm giving Arch Linux a try, had any tried it before?
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Code-Red »

Thought I'd ask a question in here, instead of starting a new thread.

When I buy my new processor, is it plug and play? Will the BIOS make all the necessary adjustments?
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

Code-Red wrote:Thought I'd ask a question in here, instead of starting a new thread.

When I buy my new processor, is it plug and play? Will the BIOS make all the necessary adjustments?
What do you mean, plug and play? If you're motherboard supports the processor (slot and speed-wise) , you should be fine.
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Code-Red »

My question was already answered in my other thread, but yea, they are both Socket 775, and my board supports up to 1333mhz FSB (which is what I'm shooting for).
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

I haven't installed Linux yet, and I'm already fed up with it. I want to run Ubuntu, but after burning 4 different versions of Ubuntu, I'm still having the same problem. I boot the CD at startup and a menu comes up with several options. It doesn't really matter what option I choose, though, the results is always the same; it shows some text for about half a second before going completely blank. It's doing something because the keyboard lights up and the CD grinds away, but I have no video. I'm positive it's a video issue, but how the hell do I put drivers into the boot CD so that it will actually have a picture?
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

melancholy wrote:I haven't installed Linux yet, and I'm already fed up with it. I want to run Ubuntu, but after burning 4 different versions of Ubuntu, I'm still having the same problem. I boot the CD at startup and a menu comes up with several options. It doesn't really matter what option I choose, though, the results is always the same; it shows some text for about half a second before going completely blank. It's doing something because the keyboard lights up and the CD grinds away, but I have no video. I'm positive it's a video issue, but how the hell do I put drivers into the boot CD so that it will actually have a picture?
Which version of Ubuntu are you installing, and what video card/chipset do you have?
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Stormwatch
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Stormwatch »

I had a similar problem with my dad's PC; Ubuntu or Kubuntu simply won't work, just like you describe. Yet it boots just fine with the other liveCDs I tried -- Slax, Kalango, BeatrIX, Damn Small, and Puppy. So, try another distro.
Lines join in faint discord and the Stormwatch brews
. . a concert of Kings as the white sea snaps
. . at the heels of a soft prayer
. . whispered
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Apparently a new version of Ubuntu comes out in about a week.

I'd suggest not using the alphas, or betas or whatever the hell are out of the latest versions. I did that and everytime it logged into Ubuntu on my laptop, it logged me straight back out again. Really really annoying.

So far I've got SuSe running nice on my laptop, but I just have to get wifi working. I cancelled the setup at the time because I didn't know my key for my network off the top of my head. :(
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

WINE runs steam and steam games very well. I play all the time on it. Though if you are heavy into using games I strongly suggest trying crossover games. They give you a 7 day trial, then you have to buy it after that. Once I get a new job I will be buying it as it runs HL2 better than WINE currently for me. WINE is not the program it was a few years back, it is nearing its 1.0 release and is quite amazing.

On the adobe side of things, CS2 runs I know that, but CS3 I believe is another story. If you have to have it, just dual boot. Thats what I have done, and slowly I moved completely over to linux.

Try Ubuntu, the newest LTS version comes out in 2 days! w00t
*The Cadillac of signatures*