My God, the Simpsons are Terrible!

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
DuffMan
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: My God, the Simpsons are Terrible!

Post by DuffMan »

atf487 wrote:The movie was a solid 7.5, much better than what the last few years has been.

Actually, I consider Season 9 the last season where the majority of episodes were at least decent. Meaning that the show has been shit for longer than it's been good :(
Thats when I would say it went down hill aswell, all of the 90's it was an awesome show. Once 2000 rolled around it has been a disgrace.
OOH! YA! Duffman Says a lot of things.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

I was about to ask you guys just that: What would you consider good seasons ? and what do you think of the recent ones (18, 19) ?

Personally I think that Season 1-6 are classics but from Season 7 and 8 on there are just a few great emotional episodes among many mediocre ones.
StriderXg2 wrote:its made for people now who laugh at anything and celebrities are in every single episode.
The celebrities thing really is annoying. >_<

My impression was that with the recent seasons it seems that they're trying to bring back a little bit more depth to the stories. These Marge (and Selma!) episodes in Season 18 were surprising, although something about "Please Homer Don't Hammer 'Em" was wrong. (I watched that episode a few days ago).

DuffMan wrote:I also think the animation sucks, I hate that it is all done on computer now. The hand drawn gave it a really warm feel that was easy to watch.
It is still hand-drawn, but they're animating objects in CG, then print it and re-draw the frames (at least they did that in earlier seasons). The colors are done on computers since Season 14 though, using "Digital Ink and Paint".

Also, I just recently discovered Family Guy and thought it's pretty entertaining. - What do you guys think about it ?
Insane homebrew collector.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

The problem is, while you can make a billion stories up out of the Simpsons universe, the actual number of possible situations is much lower. It's easy to come up with reasons for Marge and Homer to fight, or Bart to get into trouble, but they all boil down to that same basic formula.

The characters have been exhausted, and there's very little new you can do with them in 22 minutes. The only other option is bizarre off-beat stories, which are generally now even worse.

My favourite seasons are 6-9. Can't really pick a favourite, they all have their highs and lows.
DuffMan
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DuffMan »

Christuserloeser wrote:
DuffMan wrote:I also think the animation sucks, I hate that it is all done on computer now. The hand drawn gave it a really warm feel that was easy to watch.
It is still hand-drawn, but they're animating objects in CG, then print it and re-draw the frames (at least they did that in earlier seasons). The colors are done on computers since Season 14 though, using "Digital Ink and Paint".

Also, I just recently discovered Family Guy and thought it's pretty entertaining. - What do you guys think about it ?
Maybe that what it is. I know they used to color by hand, but moved to computer, and I hate it. Its too perfect.
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

In the episode "Dial 'N' for Nerder" when it shows Homer dancing with the ham was about the stupidest thing I've ever seen.
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

Seasons 4 & 5 are my favorite, as well as my girlfriend's. Classic episodes.
DuffMan
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DuffMan »

Calavera wrote:In the episode "Dial 'N' for Nerder" when it shows Homer dancing with the ham was about the stupidest thing I've ever seen.
Here is a very stupid line I found on the net after looking up that particular episode.
(Martin and Lisa are excavating for arrowheads.)
Martin: Care to make it a trio, Bart? You can brush and I can blow.
Bart: Well, I agree you blow.
Martin: Then it's a plan!
Bart: A lot of people blow, but no one blows like you.
Martin: High praise indeed!
Bart: When you look up "blow" in the dictionary--
Lisa: Bart, he's not gonna get it.
Bart: Fine.
Since when have the Simpsons made racy remarks? Especially with Bart and Lisa. It was funnier when they got in the regular kid mischief that everyone can relate to, not saying lines that appeal to White Trash.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

DuffMan wrote:
(Martin and Lisa are excavating for arrowheads.)
Martin: Care to make it a trio, Bart? You can brush and I can blow.
Bart: Well, I agree you blow.
Martin: Then it's a plan!
Bart: A lot of people blow, but no one blows like you.
Martin: High praise indeed!
Bart: When you look up "blow" in the dictionary--
Lisa: Bart, he's not gonna get it.
Bart: Fine.
Wow; it's almost like that exchange was tailor-made for comparison to one that was actually funny:
Bart: [whining] Mom, my slingshot doesn't fit in these pockets. And these shorts leave nothing to the imagination. These uniforms suck!

Marge: Bart! Where do you pick up words like that?

Homer: [on phone] Yeah, Moe, that team sure did suck last night. They just plain sucked! I've seen teams suck before, but they were the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked.

Marge: Homer! Watch your mouth!

Homer: Aw, I gotta go. My damn weiner kids are listening. [hangs up]
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

I always thought they could make a new show called "Springfield" Gotta be tons o shit they could do with that.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

I'd watch a Wiggum PI show.
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

Wagh wrote:I always thought they could make a new show called "Springfield" Gotta be tons o shit they could do with that.
In a way, it's what they've been doing for years.

I've watched a few eps from the past season, and within its random approach they were pretty good (Season finale was damn good).
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container

Post by Lunchbox »

DuffMan wrote:
Christuserloeser wrote:

Maybe that what it is. I know they used to color by hand, but moved to computer, and I hate it. Its too perfect.
I actually love it because its so perfect. Have you seen the Simpsons movie on blu-ray? Its the most beautiful and colorful animation i've ever seen. The lines are so clean, its incredible
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

Lunchbox wrote:
DuffMan wrote:Maybe that what it is. I know they used to color by hand, but moved to computer, and I hate it. Its too perfect.
I actually love it because its so perfect. Have you seen the Simpsons movie on blu-ray? Its the most beautiful and colorful animation i've ever seen. The lines are so clean, its incredible
It really is great, I agree. (I am more impressed with Ratatouille and TMNT, but they are obviously a completely incomparable style).
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

What is the general concensus here.... are the majority of the years bad?

... if so, will the show be remembered as being a crappy show?

It really is sad what they did with this show.
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

I don't think the newer episodes are nearly as good as the old ones, but it's still very much enjoyable.

Futurama had much more potential though.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus »

I've thought the last 2 or 3 seasons have been good again. I liked pretty much all of 17 and most of 18 and 19 (though I haven't seen all of 19.) In fact, 2005 (seaon 17) was one of the best years for TV in general in a while.
DuffMan
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DuffMan »

I would say that the SImpsons will still go down in history as a great show because of the huge impact it made in the 90's. My personal feelings, is that there have been more poorly made seasons then good seasons, but the impact of the good seasons out weigh the bad, so it will still be a great show even in my book!
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I think one of the show's biggest achievements is managing to hold an entire cast together for 2 decades (near enough). Regardless of ratings and money, there aren't many shows that make it this far without at least one key person deciding they've had enough.