I'm leaving for a while

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
AgentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

I'm leaving for a while

Post by AgentGreen »

Yeah, the domain change and the mediocre gaming blog crap is just killing this place for me. Call me when everyone grows up.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Re: I'm leaving for a while

Post by |darc| »

AgentGreen wrote:Yeah, the domain change and the mediocre gaming blog crap is just killing this place for me. Call me when everyone grows up.
I don't see the point of leaving. The domain change was a necessary thing. The site is here now, and will available at dcemulation.org permanently no matter what happens.
It's thinking...
JKKDARK
Choking On Cock 24/7
Choking On Cock 24/7

Post by JKKDARK »

Don't leave us, just see all the high quality members we have here :wink:
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

AgentGreen wrote:Yeah, the domain change and the mediocre gaming blog crap is just killing this place for me. Call me when everyone grows up.
Might want to check your voicemail for a call from DCEmu.

kthnxbye
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container

Post by Lunchbox »

sooooo what was the reason for the domain change anyways? to get away from 007? and are his lawsuit claims credible?
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

4 replies and no waaaambulance.
terrible.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Lunchbox wrote:sooooo what was the reason for the domain change anyways? to get away from 007? and are his lawsuit claims credible?
Glad to see you found the site; I saw you post on Cheatah's blog. Unfortunately his blog is on moderated mode, if you post only you see your post immediately, but to any other IP address you need to wait for Cheatah to approve your post. And obviously he isn't allowing links to the new site.

I will write a better story for the news forum in a bit, but basically, yes, the reason for the domain change is to get away from 007. He's been away for quite a while doing other life stuff, but he's recently been coming back and getting to his old pre-2005 ways, including trying to get more money from the site, bossing staff around despite not knowing anything that has gone on in the scene for years, and arrogantly promoting other sites that have absolutely nothing to do with Dreamcast or emulation. The last straw was IP-banning BlueCrab from the entire site (not just from the forums, but a sitewide 403 Forbidden ban).

His sensationalist post on seanvagjuice (thanks Juan) is hilarious and baseless. He misleadingly says that this was done by an individual staff member, when all the admins not only agreed on this, but thought it was excellent, and all the mods and ops who knew about it (couldn't tell everyone for obvious secrecy reasons) thought it was for the best. He says that the site was "*hacked*" when there was no trespassing involved; everything was done with access given, and when someone on IRC asked what was hacked he basically responded with "technically nothing, but I put it that way because it just sounds better." He says this is hateful, but trust me, if this was done out of hate, things could have been a lot worse (every one of his sites could have easily been completely deleted, but nothing unrelated was touched).

As far as legalities go, he doesn't have any legal ground to do anything; he didn't own any of the content on the site (all site software was either publicly available or written by me; forum posts are owned by their respective posters; the wiki content is owned by the staff (which doesn't include Cheatah as he did absolutely no work on it); any content that 007 himself wrote has been gone for a while now). He can't make any claims to the Dreamcast Emulation trademark, as "Dreamcast" is already a registered trademark and Sega might have a thing or two to say about that, and DCEmu has been used by wraggster for years now and now overshadows this site, and trademark law states that if you don't protect your trademarks you lose them. He hasn't made money on the site for quite a while, so he can't sue for any sort of damages. There's nothing he can do.

Nor do I really know why he WANTS to do anything, he got what he wanted: his high-traffic domain dcemulation dot com now points to seanbajuice. He can't do anything for the Dreamcast community, and his track record over the years shows that he doesn't want to, so why go through all this effort?
It's thinking...
Yonke
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Yonke »

thnxs Eric for letting me know about the .com to .org change, i know i dont post to much but im a lurker in this forums........
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Yonke wrote:thnxs Eric for letting me know about the .com to .org change, i know i dont post to much but im a lurker in this forums........
Yeah, I saw your post on seanbajuice too and wanted to make sure you found the new site. Welcome back :)
It's thinking...
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

That was really well written Eric, I can't find any flaw in your logic. :kudos:
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Why is everyone calling me Eric all of a sudden? lol
It's thinking...
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

:guffaw:
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container

Post by Lunchbox »

The boards are up again at dcemulation.org from what I can see. I hope this doesn't result in a split community
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

Well said |darc|. Most of you know my views on capitalizing on other people's work, which is why I don't visit dcemu.co.uk. When Sean started link spamming I was about to the point where I wasn't going to keep visiting dcemulation.org.
S. Thompson
The Fuzmeister
The Fuzmeister

Post by S. Thompson »

Lunchbox wrote:The boards are up again at dcemulation.org from what I can see. I hope this doesn't result in a split community
This is what scares me...

- Fuzmeister
Mark30001
Mark30001
Mark30001

Post by Mark30001 »

S. Thompson wrote:
Lunchbox wrote:The boards are up again at dcemulation.org from what I can see. I hope this doesn't result in a split community
This is what scares me...
Ender
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Ender »

|darc| wrote:Why is everyone calling me Eric all of a sudden? lol
I go away for a little while and |darc| gets a real name.

Jiminy Cricket be damned.

And seriously, Elmer and Xylene running the show? (I got an email from 007 this morning... weird...)
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

yes this is where the whole of the good community ended up. I fear a split in the community, but most the people who will stay over there are n00bs anyways. And when no one wants to help them, they might just scamper over here to find the real brains.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Nico0020 on .com wrote:Seconded...... well slightly. If 007 and his new group of mods and newswriters actually contribute to the site then I am all for it and will back him. If i see a website that does justice to what DCemu.com was, and not a site completely based off phpbb. I will even volunteer my services as a newsposter and mod. But until this whole situation is resolved I guess i'll continue to visit both site, though to be honest with the old mods actually working on DCemu.org I am MUCH more inclined to go there.
This will never happen, because the "mods and newswriters" over there don't care about the Dreamcast. If anyone volunteers their services all they're going to be doing is perpetuating the site split.
It's thinking...
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Lunchbox wrote:The boards are up again at dcemulation.org from what I can see
The .com ad is filtered and replaced with .org, right ? - Does the same apply for the forum links ? (that'd be important)
Insane homebrew collector.