Toshiba Pulls the Plug on HD DVD - Ends Format War

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Re: Toshiba Pulls the Plug on HD DVD - Ends Format War

Post by melancholy »

Actually, I haven't really seen any cheap HD-DVD's yet. Everyone still seems to be selling them at the same price. Though I have certainly seen the players go for extremely cheap, the actual movies are still expensive.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800
Been thanked: 0

Post by Skynet »

I've picked up 8 HD DVDs thus far and I haven't even got my HD DVD drive yet, it should be here tomorrow or Monday, providing the store actually gets them in like they said :evil:

The cheapest ones I've bought are AU$8 and the most expensive was AU$17
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Skynet wrote:I've picked up 8 HD DVDs thus far and I haven't even got my HD DVD drive yet, it should be here tomorrow or Monday, providing the store actually gets them in like they said :evil:

The cheapest ones I've bought are AU$8 and the most expensive was AU$17
EzyDVD and DVDCrave are two Australian sites that seem to be offering very good prices for certain HD DVDs, and international buyers pay slightly less than the listed price as well. With postage, you can get a film shipped to the UK for £7-8.

Play are running a 3 for £20 offer, though a lot of the titles to choose from are sold out. Amazon.de are also selling a whole bunch of films for less than €10.

I'm a little frustrated with the North American eBay sellers--there are plenty with films at decent enough prices, but charging absolutely extortionate postage rates. Unless they're booking them their seat on the plane, there's nothing to justify shipping of over $10US for a single disc.

By far the cheapest piece of hardware I've come across is the Toshiba SD-H802A internal HD DVD-ROM drive. You can get it at Kikatek for £13.81 and at LambdaTek for £13.99--postage brings it up to about £18.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

For about $160 total I got the player and about 14 movies total. Not too shabby. Equals about $11 for each movie, that doesn't even include the player.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800