hellllp my computer is infected!!

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Sir Slash
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

hellllp my computer is infected!!

Post by Sir Slash »

Well I got some major virus deal going on, i can't go on-line with the computer because every time i do the damn thing downloads more, at one point regedit,taskmanager, and even control panel were locked by this thing..

well its part of braviax.exe and about 14 differnt others

any way i got mcafee and part of its blocked out by this thing, i've looked at my regestry and i think i've located where its all starting from in the windows\temp folder. Well the biggest issue is i can't delete it, i've tried a few differnt programs, i've tried making a batch file to delete on startup and ... nothing...

BTW its a dat file
WELCO
ME
TOT
HE
NEX
T
LEVEL

law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Re: hellllp my computer is infected!!

Post by law56ker »

Hmm well the best plan would be to try to identify the names of the viruses on your computer. Then if possible use google on a computer to search for those virus names. Most likely you will find several topics with people in the same situation that you are in.

You'll probably have to start your computer in safe mode and run several different spyware and virus removal programs to rid yourself of that shit. I have a folder specifically setup if such a situation occurs. So I am always ready if I get attacked.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Trying to remove just the virus/trojan is a tremendous hassle with no assurance of victory. Once your system is compromised to that degree, it's nearly impossible to tell whether you've cleaned out everything or only the most obnoxious bits. You're almost always better off backing up the (non-executable) files that you really need to keep and doing a full reinstall of the OS.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by JuddWack »

I once screwed my computer up so bad with a virus. I tried so many ways to fix it but the only thing that worked was a program I never heard of called Prevx. It worked like a charm and has a 30 day free trial.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Format.
zman
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by zman »

Well I do not know what OS you use, but here's a start.

Download spybot search & destroy program and run the latest updates on this. Use this program to clean the junk out. Also use it to block out going programs that you do not recognize. This will slow or stop the virus. Next use msconfig in your start menu. Go to the startup tab and un-check all programs you do not recognize. This will also slow or stop the virus. I also use Ad-Aware to clean the internet info out. This is all free ware programs that work well. I also use a regular pay program called Registry Mechanic to clean the registry out. The last thing is always use a browser like Firefox which greatly reduces the chances of viruses. Also clean the temp and internet temp folders in windows often to avoid viruses.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

Ex-Cyber wrote:You're almost always better off backing up the (non-executable) files that you really need to keep and doing a full reinstall of the OS.
Agreed. At this point it's time to scrap your OS. I would go as far as to consider all of the personal data on this computer compromised.
djray
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by djray »

If you are able to... try this guide:
http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showpost.p ... ostcount=2

I've used it in the past.
Stormwatch
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Stormwatch »

butters wrote:Agreed. At this point it's time to scrap your OS.
And use what OS instead? :wink:
butters wrote:I would go as far as to consider all of the personal data on this computer compromised.
Now that's a bit of overkill, I suppose. If you manage to move the data to a non-infected machine, and first thing have a good antivirus scan that data without letting any program in it run... (in Windows, that means: be sure to disable autorun, Windows' most puzzlingly obvious security hole)
Lines join in faint discord and the Stormwatch brews
. . a concert of Kings as the white sea snaps
. . at the heels of a soft prayer
. . whispered
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

Stormwatch wrote:
butters wrote:Agreed. At this point it's time to scrap your OS.
And use what OS instead? :wink:
:nono:
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

This is why I fully switched to Ubuntu Linux. Well I still have like a 20GB XP partition for some random things. But as careful as I am on the net, stuff just gets attached to windows somehow. I know its not about windows being shitty or anything, its just since everyone uses it, its the easiest thing to target. Anyways yea when it gets that bad, backup your important shit and just format and reinstall. I know its a hassle to do, but it's just something that comes with using Windows is to format every few years, at least thats how I see it.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Sir Slash

Post by Sir Slash »

well thanks for all your help ... after trying everything other then the dreaded wipe... I don't have my orginal Windows Xp code nor disc so i was doing what ever i could to salvage it but nothing could get past this thing, whenever something tried to delete certain files my computer would just stop and reboot.... so its been wiped

Comcasts mcafee deal hasn't helped, anyone have anti virus sugjestions?
WELCO
ME
TOT
HE
NEX
T
LEVEL

Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus »

Sir Slash wrote:well thanks for all your help ... after trying everything other then the dreaded wipe... I don't have my orginal Windows Xp code nor disc so i was doing what ever i could to salvage it but nothing could get past this thing, whenever something tried to delete certain files my computer would just stop and reboot.... so its been wiped

Comcasts mcafee deal hasn't helped, anyone have anti virus sugjestions?

I use NOD32. I also recommend Kaspersky to people. If you'd mentioned the Windows key thing sooner, I would have pointed you to ProduKey. I use the thing almost daily.
FiendWithoutAface
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by FiendWithoutAface »

Nico0020 wrote:This is why I fully switched to Ubuntu Linux. Well I still have like a 20GB XP partition for some random things. But as careful as I am on the net, stuff just gets attached to windows somehow. I know its not about windows being shitty or anything, its just since everyone uses it, its the easiest thing to target. Anyways yea when it gets that bad, backup your important shit and just format and reinstall. I know its a hassle to do, but it's just something that comes with using Windows is to format every few years, at least thats how I see it.
Its been on the tip of my tongue to say switch to linux in this thread. I dumped XP like a bad habit and haven't had a virus since. That was about 3 years ago. 8-)
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Nico0020 wrote:This is why I fully switched to Ubuntu Linux. Well I still have like a 20GB XP partition for some random things. But as careful as I am on the net, stuff just gets attached to windows somehow. I know its not about windows being shitty or anything, its just since everyone uses it, its the easiest thing to target. Anyways yea when it gets that bad, backup your important shit and just format and reinstall. I know its a hassle to do, but it's just something that comes with using Windows is to format every few years, at least thats how I see it.
No, it's because Windows is shitty.
It's thinking...
Stormwatch
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Stormwatch »

Sir Slash wrote:Comcasts mcafee deal hasn't helped, anyone have anti virus sugjestions?
Shit, McAfee, can't get any worse than... oh wait, there's Norton. :twisted:

Nico0020 and FiendWithoutAface mentioned a cure, but if you need a palliative, avast! is pretty good.

And if you have any CD burned from the infected machine, any USB drive, any external storage that was plugged to it, including cameras and media players... disable autorun and scan thoroughly before trying to get any data from them.
Lines join in faint discord and the Stormwatch brews
. . a concert of Kings as the white sea snaps
. . at the heels of a soft prayer
. . whispered
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

Stormwatch wrote:
butters wrote:I would go as far as to consider all of the personal data on this computer compromised.
Now that's a bit of overkill, I suppose. If you manage to move the data to a non-infected machine, and first thing have a good antivirus scan that data without letting any program in it run... (in Windows, that means: be sure to disable autorun, Windows' most puzzlingly obvious security hole)
What I meant is anything sensitive in his documents, for example, a password list or his email contacts, has probably been copied to some database somewhere in another country.
Sir Slash

Post by Sir Slash »

Ok fresh XP install.... now my keyboard is messed up backspace ' G H all don't work ARRGHHHH

its an older laptop hp pavilion N5290... any one have THIS problem lol

over frustration has stepped in
WELCO
ME
TOT
HE
NEX
T
LEVEL

djray
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by djray »

Roofus wrote: I use NOD32. I also recommend Kaspersky to people. If you'd mentioned the Windows key thing sooner, I would have pointed you to ProduKey. I use the thing almost daily.
i use NOD32 as well... uses low resources, has a high detection rate... kaspersky uses tons of memory compared to NOD32.