My God, the Simpsons are Terrible!

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
DuffMan
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

My God, the Simpsons are Terrible!

Post by DuffMan »

Now, I've been a long time Simpsons fan, and I know a lot of you are as well, but, I just finished watching a rerun of a newer Simpsons episode. All I could think was, "This has already happen once before", the story makes no sense and the characters are not themselves anymore. This particular episode was when Marge and Homer temporarily break up because Milhouse and Bart put a Bra, of Marges, on the newly reconciled bed of Milhouse's parents. The story led to an unfunny, predictable ending.

The characters are simply not themselves anymore, their attitudes and personality's are completely different from the 90's. My main gripe is with Homer and Bart, because I think they made the show funny in the first place.

Homer has always been known for being stupid and unintelligent. But now, the way they try and get laughs are him not acting in a silly manner, but doing silly, over-the-top things and over-reacting in stupid ways, about everything. Not the subtle stupidity that I perceived earlier in the series. One particular instance that comes to mind is from the previous show I just saw. When Marge kicked Homer out, he took a suitcase and filled it with food and walked out. WTF, thats stupid, and its not funny. I think it would have been a bit more funny if Homer simply took only the beer out of the fridge, not the everything in the fridge. I liked it better when the story revolved Homer getting into a jam, or discovering something completely strange and thinking it is awesome.

Bart simply is not the same either. He was once all about being a rebel, he pretty much did what he wanted. He used to be a typical rebellious kid, who did things kids would do. Kids could relate very easily to him, hassle the babysitter, stealing, love comic books, read "PlayDude." Now they put him in positions and situations that he would never be put in back in the day. They make him get into trouble on purpose, just to make him seem like a rebel. The stories that involve him just aren't good anymore.

I haven't seen very many episodes of recent Simpsons, now I remember why.

I also think the animation sucks, I hate that it is all done on computer now. The hand drawn gave it a really warm feel that was easy to watch. Now everything is just simply to fluid and I HATE how the but slight shadows on the character edges.

Me ranting after being let down by one of the best shows ever. IMO Why oh why did they have to keep show going and ruin its reputation. At least those of us who were around for the good seasons can reminisce, I pity the generation of kids now :(
OOH! YA! Duffman Says a lot of things.
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Re: My God, the Simpsons are Terrible!

Post by pixel »

Exactly my feelings too. When I see old episodes from when I was a kid, I'm reminded how inventive, yet so simple it was. Even at 11, 10 years ago, Icould easily pick up the subtle nuances. Watching the new episodes feels like taking a blunt object to the head,
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

The movie was the final nail in the coffin, so so terrible
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

They really should have killed off The Simpsons and went forward with Futurama.
It's thinking...
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

I still love watching Simpsons, and there are many excellent episodes in every season. I really don't understand why they had to turn Lisa into a buddist - or that Apu+Manjula marriage thing... :roll:

Anyway, there are many good episodes in every season, but the first two are still by my favorite ones.
Insane homebrew collector.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

I don't know how you could say there are "many" good episodes. I'd say maybe a small handful are competent every year.

But yeah, I agree with you DuffMan. I don't know ANY other TV show that has fallen as far as the Simpsons. It used to be brilliant. It's such a shame. Should have been canned 8 years ago.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Christuserloeser

Lartrak wrote:I don't know how you could say there are "many" good episodes.
Perhaps my expectations are lower: I knew the later seasons from TV only, where they of course are dubbed. I just recently saw the English versions of these episodes for the first time and they were far better than I remembered them to be.

- Also, I was referring to Season 03 on to today, so that's where I found many good episodes ;)
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

|darc| wrote:They really should have killed off The Simpsons and went forward with Futurama.

MY thoughts exactly. Past few years have been terrible for The Simpsons. Would have rather seen Simpsons scrapped and new Futurama's.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

I was referring to Season 03 on to today, so that's where I found many good episodes
[/quote]

You said many in every season, which is what I getting at. I've missed quite a few episodes from the past couple seasons, but I can't remember any being above competent in the past 5 or 6 years. Probably the worst thing they did was completely destroy any attempt at drama.

Having a baseline of workable drama made the character based humor more effective.

And on final note, I'm sometimes amazed at how much the Simpsons has been exported... A lot of jokes in it I can't imagine translating. They just wouldn't make any sense. And so much of it is based on American pop culture, even some pretty obscure stuff.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Christuserloeser

Lartrak wrote:And on final note, I'm sometimes amazed at how much the Simpsons has been exported... A lot of jokes in it I can't imagine translating. They just wouldn't make any sense. And so much of it is based on American pop culture, even some pretty obscure stuff.
The pop culture thing isn't a problem, but you are right about many jokes that just don't work in an other language.

I don't know if you got the DVDs but on the German ones there's a language feature. One episode in a huge range of different dubs from all over the world.

It's amazing how good the voice actors are casted. They're still not anywhere near as good as the original, but no dub is.

I've recently read an interview by the German voice actress of Bart (she also did Peppermint Patty when she's been a kid), and she described the casting for The Simpsons: It starts by whoever bought the rights (ZDF, a TV station run by the government it's been here in Germany) and the samples along with the background of the actors, the resumee, then are send out to the US studio for approval.

In the end all dubs do sound similar as you can hear on these DVD features. It worked that good that the German fans even claimed 'their' Homer to be better than Dan Castellenata. That's ridiculous of course and likely is caused by people growing up with 'their' Homer and not the original, but one got to admit that the guy does a good job and it shows how carefully the voices have been casted.

Back to the recent seasons: As I mentioned the German dubs really weren't my cup of tea (anymore?), mostly because the translation of the dialogue got worse and worse over the years, and I was surprised how much better these episodes are in the original.
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by JuddWack »

I stopped liking new episodes of the simpsons when it no longer became a family show. I used to watch every night with my little brother. I heard a joke something along the lines of "The mummy has a boner" and was forever turned off from new episodes. I've tried, some are funny...most are lame.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

JuddWack wrote:I stopped liking new episodes of the simpsons when it no longer became a family show. I used to watch every night with my little brother. I heard a joke something along the lines of "The mummy has a boner" and was forever turned off from new episodes. I've tried, some are funny...most are lame.

Don't know if you remember when it first came out but at the time it was a very controversial show. One of the first animated shows that had cursing in it, at least one that was aired over regular channels. a lot of people wouldn't let their children watch it when it first came out just because of that, my parents being some of them.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

I remember my 1st grade teacher became livid when a kid from my class suggested we watch the Simpsons Christmas Special.
Sir Slash

Post by Sir Slash »

.....yea your right ...
a big fan myself i have trouble enjoying all of season 10...

I don't understand how they let it get that bad
WELCO
ME
TOT
HE
NEX
T
LEVEL

Christuserloeser

IIRC, season 10 - 12 were among the worst. Gotta be the episodes while Futurama ran.
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container

Post by Lunchbox »

As much as I think the Simpsns have gone downhill over the years, I still believe that new simpsons episodes are still very watchable and are better than most of the shit on TV these days.

And I really liked the Simpsons movie too :mrgreen:
Sir Slash

Post by Sir Slash »

i'll agree about the movie.. i enjoyed it for what it was..
WELCO
ME
TOT
HE
NEX
T
LEVEL

jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster

Post by jaredfogle »

Lunchbox wrote:As much as I think the Simpsns have gone downhill over the years, I still believe that new simpsons episodes are still very watchable and are better than most of the shit on TV these days.

And I really liked the Simpsons movie too :mrgreen:
Where's toastman? I'm bored.
StriderXg2
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
Location: http://www.youtube.com/rkotm for my films about gaming and such.

Post by StriderXg2 »

yeah, i wish it were cancelled when it just started to go bad..when we could remember when they were funny. ive collected the first 5 seasons, and after the 7th i dont see a point to letting FOX have anymore of my money on this now defunct show. its made for people now who laugh at anything and celebrities are in every single episode. i could pick it apart but i'll spare it. for now.
atf487
DCEmu's Ranter
DCEmu's Ranter

Post by atf487 »

The movie was a solid 7.5, much better than what the last few years has been.

Actually, I consider Season 9 the last season where the majority of episodes were at least decent. Meaning that the show has been shit for longer than it's been good :(
Tetris: 556-381-350-981
MKDS: 163-282-974-709