Need a few opinions.

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
stagg
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Need a few opinions.

Post by stagg »

Well basically the story is that I am in my schools video program, in which we are making a movie this year. The kid in charge of making the website is completely incompetent, and has honestly made one of the fugly looking sites I have ever seen. So I took the liberty of re-making it best I could. Mind you I am not art savvy at all, and I know shit about making websites so I took this using my little knowledge of photoshop. The poster is made like the way it is becuase I hate the girl who is the main actor so when they asked me to make the poster I made it so she looks like shit.

You can see the site up now, in it's current, shit, state now at http://www.Sohelpmehannah.com
Here is what I made, took me a couple hours so far. There has been a few changes since.

Thanks..
Stormwatch
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Re: Need a few opinions.

Post by Stormwatch »

Axe the green banner on the top. Make the main pic shorter and a bit wider. Take the buttons on the right and make them part of the main pic, or smaller under it.
Lines join in faint discord and the Stormwatch brews
. . a concert of Kings as the white sea snaps
. . at the heels of a soft prayer
. . whispered
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

If that image you posted is suppose to be the 'new' website, then it's waaay too big. I could only see half the picture without scrolling right to see the rest. Everything about it is huge, like you could pretty much shrink the entire image about half the size it is now and that would be a decent looking site. Beyond that, though, there are a few other bizarre instances. The WDHS logo is ungodly huge. Even if you shrank everything, that logo would still be ridiculous in size. It's such a huge void that takes up the left half of the screen. The screenshots need to be more colorful as they are extremely dull compared to the rest of the website. I say bump up the contrast a ton and add more color saturation to them. And when you shrink the WDHS logo, maybe move it to the right side of the screen and put it under the screenshots. That would eliminate the dead space below the screenshots and make the WDHS logo less dominating.

Other than that, though, it's not bad. The green gives off a nice contrast on that magenta, the menu at the top (though gigantic in it's 24pt font) is not bad...maybe consider making the background color behind the 'poster' image darker to kill the overwhelming amount of magenta on the page. Pretty decent, actually.
stagg
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by stagg »

I did shrink it, I appreciate it, I thought it would resize, but I got it and found out how to center it as well as add a background color. I also got the links set up after some difficulty. I am using dreamweaver, and I am wondering if I can implement a slide show like feature with the images, since I will be having a lot of them, at least 100 in a few different categories. If you know, thanks.
Stormwatch
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Stormwatch »

Still too big. Have something that most people will not have to scroll vertically to see. Like this:

Lines join in faint discord and the Stormwatch brews
. . a concert of Kings as the white sea snaps
. . at the heels of a soft prayer
. . whispered
stagg
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by stagg »

I don't know how to get an image out of the HTML file, but here is what the preview looks like. I am making it with the suggestions you guys are giving me, but also to my teacher, who gives me the grade. He wants me to have the banner on the left, as it links to the video site, as well as having a little blog that we update on the right side.
Also, the banner is going to be replaced, but with the same color scheme.

melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

The size is alright, the poster is decent too. The screenshot on the left is also much improved. I still think the text for the links on the top is still too big, but manageable. If it were just a couple of point sizes smaller, it would be nice.

That banner/logo thing on the left side bugs the holy shit out of me, though. It is this huge black and white void that sucks all of the attention away from the page and onto itself. If I had my druthers, I would rip it from the page entirely, but since you can't do that, for god's sake, make it smaller. Much, much smaller. A third of it's current size or less. It's just freakin huge and completely out of place.

Finally, it still seems overwhelmingly magenta. Because you only have two colors to play with, it still seems washed out. Try incorporating more white into it, like maybe a bigger white border around the screenshot and switching the white and dark purplish color in the blog box. You might also consider making the outside borders on the left and right a dark green color. That might help make the center float instead of blending into the screen. These are just mild suggestions, though, so at least give them a try and if you don't like it switch it back. It's still a decent page.

But I'm dead serious about that logo. It way too damn big, period.
mobius
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by mobius »

id hit it
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

mobius wrote:id hit it
I'd rather hit a brick wall... with my car.
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista