XDP vs Dream Passport 3 vs Planet Web 3

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
muthafied
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

XDP vs Dream Passport 3 vs Planet Web 3

Post by muthafied »

Hi there, I have finally just got hold of a bba adaptor, but im still unsure which browser has the latest and best features ie flash?? Any feedback would be much appreciated.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Re: XDP vs Dream Passport 3 vs Planet Web 3

Post by az_bont »

muthafied wrote:Hi there, I have finally just got hold of a bba adaptor, but im still unsure which browser has the latest and best features ie flash?? Any feedback would be much appreciated.
DreamPassport 3 is the official Japanese browser. XDP is the name of two projects (one of which has superseded the other) which have heavily modified the browser to make it more useful, in particular by providing a full English translation, and by adding in a whole bunch of other useful stuff, often making use of features that were unused and undocumented in the official releases--it is able to identify itself to web sites as being Internet Explorer, for example, which increased compatibility with some web sites. If you want to grab a copy, you can get it from here.

PlanetWeb 3 is the latest version of the official North American browser. If I recall correctly, it supported a newer version of Flash (though both are now very outdated and of questionable usefulness) and uniquely supported MP3 playback. This is the only version of PlanetWeb that could be considered superior to the latest DreamPassport (and the only one to support the BBA), but it was never distributed freely.

I don't believe there is any noticeable difference in the way each browser renders pages. Both browsers support IRC chat rooms, but their implementations differ. The question of which of the two is superior is one of personal taste, but I would opt for XDP, for its nifty little additions--though my previous involvement with the project might skew my opinion somewhat. ;)
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
muthafied
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by muthafied »

Thanks for the reply. Looking at the XDP site, there hasn't been an update for 2 years, so is there going to be a new update/version? A new release with a new version of flash would help a lot.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

muthafied wrote:Thanks for the reply. Looking at the XDP site, there hasn't been an update for 2 years, so is there going to be a new update/version? A new release with a new version of flash would help a lot.
Without the source code to DreamPassport, such a significant change to the software would b impossible. What has been done to create XDP could perhaps be best described as "hacking", where individual HTML pages and resources (like icons and fonts) have been modified, with no substantive changes to the program itself.

I believe the latest release achieved just about everything that could reasonably be achieved with these methods--in fact, most of the updates for some time prior to that were to the user-generated content (such as the Javascript applications, MIDI library etc.) and not the actual browser itself.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

az_bont wrote:If you want to grab a copy, you can get it from here.
The downloads at psilocybindreams.com aren't working since early 2006. The mirror by Fallout at xdp.chasergame.org is down since 2007.
Insane homebrew collector.