Help with a PC (minor, having to do with power)

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Help with a PC (minor, having to do with power)

Post by MulletMan13 »

Hey everyone,

My mobo has a 2x4 pin adapter for "processor power", which is 12v, 12v, 12v (rail 2), 12v (rail 2), ground x4. My power supply only has a 2x2 adapter, which is 2 - 12v on the same rail, and 2 grounds. My mobo manual says to not use this at all, as it may cause damage to my board. I'm looking to get an adapter really soon, but I'd like to install my operating system.

In order to use as little power as possible from that connection, I've disabled all but one of my cores. So there is one core running at 2.4ghz on that connection.

What possible damage could I do, and is this okay to run for the next day or two like this?
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
mariobro
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Re: Help with a PC (minor, having to do with power)

Post by mariobro »

Hmm.. I believe that connector is part of the newest ATX specification. A few people have reported success using their PCs without it, but who knows...

As long as you don't use a powerful video card for now, I think you'll be fine. Just remember to get that adpater as soon as possible.

Although some say, if the 4 pin connector fits, there's no harm in using it, even for the long haul. This connector was first used for multiprocessor workstations. It's known as the "EPS12V" connector. Basically, if the motherboard expects two 12V rails, it won't boot with only the 4 pin connector inserted. Thsi was meant for dual processor (not dual core) systems. Plugging only 4 pins might work, but you're only providing half the current.

So in the end, the adapter is your best bet. But I see no harm in using just 4 pins for a short while. Just watch the connector closely, and see if it heats up. If it does, turn the system off, and wait for the adapter.
"Until I finally made it, life was kinda hit or miss...
And I'd love to talk philosophy, but I gotta take a piss"
-David Lee Roth
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

MulletMan13 wrote: My mobo manual says to not use this at all, as it may cause damage to my board.
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

SuperMegatron wrote:
MulletMan13 wrote: My mobo manual says to not use this at all, as it may cause damage to my board.
You spent student loan money on a high def television set and outrageous computer... I really don't have any regard for your posts anymore.

mariobros -- thanks for the reply. The connector works perfectly as it stands right now (with 1 core running). My mobo was supposed to come with a 4-8 pin adapter, but since I got it open box it did not.

Even with the adapter, it wouldn't supply double the current, it would just be spacing it out over 4 connections instead of two correct? I have the adapter on order right now, so it should be here soon.

Also, the video card is hooked up to the PSU directly via the 6 pin connection, I'm not sure this port that we're talking about has any issue with the video card, just the processor. I also know that dual processors take up more electricity than dual core processors do -- but what about the quad-core chip I'm using?

I think it should be fine running with one single processor- only one core running for the time being (until Friday). If not, then I guess I'm buying a new mobo =)
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

MulletMan13 wrote:
SuperMegatron wrote:
You spent student loan money on a high def television set and outrageous computer... I really don't have any regard for your posts anymore.
Its not my advice its what's in your motherboards manual.
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

on the off chance that you will consider what I am saying. If your Cpu needs more then 130 watts the adaptor isnt going to help. A quad core and a core 2 extreme might need more then that to operate a its peak.
mariobro
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mariobro »

Well, if we all followed instruction manuals to the letter, people wouldn't change their own oil, overclock their PCs, rip their own CDs, or use student loan money to buy HDTVs, for that matter. :D

More to the point, quad-core CPUs are power-hungry. The 8 pin connector was really meant for dual socket motherboards, that's why it was rarely seen until recently on consumer boards. quad-core processors can definitely benefit from it, however. In dual socket mobos, the system expects two 12V rails from that connector, but in single socket systems, I don't think that's the case.

The video card issue is just a concern regarding stressing your power supply too much, but I think things will be fine. People often exaggerate a PCs energy requirements. I've done some pretty insane stuff, and not once have I seen a blown power supply damage other components. Most often, the damage comes from user abuse, or wrong connections. Sure you need a quality power supply, but there's no need to go overboard.

In fact, the only blown power supply I've had was caused by my 3-year old nephew opening and closing optical drive trays repeatedly for an hour :D both drives, and all other components, survived. Actually, some months later I replaced the PSU's fuse, and it's been working again for over a year.
"Until I finally made it, life was kinda hit or miss...
And I'd love to talk philosophy, but I gotta take a piss"
-David Lee Roth
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

SuperMegatron wrote:on the off chance that you will consider what I am saying. If your Cpu needs more then 130 watts the adaptor isnt going to help. A quad core and a core 2 extreme might need more then that to operate a its peak.
According to Intel the peak is at 105w...
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

What motherboard? My MSI 975X platinum has the 8 pin, but doesnt require you use it. Only if you want to unlock the overclock options. (this is even with a Q6700)

However, if you want to buy a new PSU, i might be buying a new case soon (new thread to follow) and would have the rocketfish 700w (look at bestbuy.com) PSU i'd let go for cheap. (SLI/Crossfire ready w/ plenty of 4pin molex and SATA connectors and the 8 pin CPU connection)
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

Intel 975BX2 (Bad Axe 2) is my mobo.

I'm pretty happy with my PSU right now, and I have that adapter coming in the mail shortly. Thanks for the offer though :)