So how well can UAE4ALL emulate the Amiga on DC?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
MethodGit
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Been thanked: 0

So how well can UAE4ALL emulate the Amiga on DC?

Post by MethodGit »

I ask because I was left very disappointed by the PSP equivalent - PSPUAE - which often autoframeskipped nearly every game I threw at it at a rate of 8 or so, making for very jerky and near unplayable gameplay. Even when clocked at 333Mhz. I'm like, "why the hell is a handheld that's more powerful and newer than the DC struggling so much with this sort of emulation?"

So I fear the DC won't do it any better, unless you guys can prove me wrong?

Funnily enough, just today I found someone made another PSP port, this time more or less based on the DC and GP2X versions of UAE4ALL. You can find it here.
Christuserloeser

Re: So how well can UAE4ALL emulate the Amiga on DC?

Post by Christuserloeser »

The Dreamcast version uses Fox68k's FAME core in SH4 assembler while the PSP port uses a C version of that core:
- Fast FAME Motorola 68000 C core by Fox68k.
Similar situation as with gpspDC, the GameBoyAdvance emulator for Dreamcast based on the PSP version. The PSP original used a dynarec written for the PSP CPU; while the Dreamcast version uses the C core. That's why it is so slow compared to the PSP variant.

I am not a big friend of playing home computer games on a console but last time I checked UAE4All, which was a few versions ago I guess, it pretty much ran full speed with sound. Pretty impressive.

- Same for the Atari ST emulator DCastaway btw.
Insane homebrew collector.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver
Has thanked: 0

Post by Tyne »

I played Turrican 2 on UAE4ALL, it played quite good on a Frameskip of 2 if I remember correctly with sound and music both on.
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
TechnoWolf
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by TechnoWolf »

I've used it with Defender Of The Crown, Bards Tale 1 +2, and Pirates! and all were quite playable with a handy drive emulator which allows a vmu save. You have to use a pc amiga emu to create a "blank formatted disc" image and include it in the dc compilation in order to save to vmu. It's worth it by my standards (and I'm picky).
rondc
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by rondc »

UAE4ALL is an amazing Amiga Emulator for Dreamcast

Most of your amiga preffered games will work easily and with the menu options even easy to find the best config for evry game.

Anyway final release is still to come

Bye
Dreamcast Core Warrior
http://www.dciberia.net
Jamirus
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Jamirus »

Is only on blank disc actually needed? I have used DCastaway, but haven't played a game yet using the save feature, so I don't know exactly how it works. You just insert the blank, and the emulators save the changes for each game?
TechnoWolf
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by TechnoWolf »

Jamirus wrote:Is only on blank disc actually needed? I have used DCastaway, but haven't played a game yet using the save feature, so I don't know exactly how it works. You just insert the blank, and the emulators save the changes for each game?
As far as UAE4ALL, there is a .exe PC version of amiga emulator in the uae4all download called WINUAE. Run WINUAE on your PC, mount the image of the game you want to make a blank image for, then without "starting" or running the game, tell it to create a 3.5DD Standard Format disk, and save in your ROMS folder for UAE4ALL with a name that makes sense to the game it's for. When playing on the dc, and the game is at a point where it will allow a save, follow the game prompts until it tells you to insert a blank disk. Then mount the blank image you made for this game from the uae4all menu, go back to the game and select okay. The game will save to vmu with a save name the same as the name of the blank image you made. This will help avoid confusion on your vmu so you know which game it's for.
There is no "save state" as we are spoiled with in some other emulators, you may save when and where a game would have allowed you to on the Amiga.
MethodGit
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by MethodGit »

I feel I should clarify things after reading this thread again.......

PSPUAE is based on WinUAE, so I was wrong in a way to call it the equivalent of UAE4ALL.

UAE4ALL PSP is the other UAE program for PSP that came out recently.