NFL Playoffs

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

NFL Playoffs

Post by Covar »

So the NY Giants just won the the Divisional Playoffs :D :D :D and they'll be facing off against Green Bay next week for the NFC Championship.

On the AFC Side its going to be the San Diego Chargers against the New England Patriots.

So what are peoples thoughts, comments, picks? Personally I'm hoping the giants take it all.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Re: NFL Playoffs

Post by |darc| »

I'd like to see the Pats win the AFC and then fall to the Giants or Packers in the Superbowl most, or at least fall to the Chargers next week.

I like both Giants and the Packers, but I'm rooting for the Giants because of the great game they played against the Pats on week 17.
It's thinking...
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

If Brady can keep having amazing games like he did yesterday, there's no way anyone can beat the Patriots.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Meh.

The Patriots are overrated.

No, I'm not being bitter simply because I hate them, but they really are overrated. Are they an amazing team? Yeah, certainly. But they almost fell several times.
It's thinking...
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

|darc| wrote:Meh.

No, I'm not being bitter simply because I hate them, but they really are overrated. Are they an amazing team? Yeah, certainly. But they almost fell several times.
"Almost" being the keyword.

Look, I'm a fan of the Dolphins first and the Ravens second, but I've got to give the proper respect to the Patriots. They are an amazing team, and they are not overrated. Tom Brady is an incredible quarterback who's broken just about every record a quarterback can hold.

They have not yet fallen. They have a perfect season, thus far. Can they still lose? Certainly. Are they capable of winning next week and then taking the SuperBowl? Absolutely.

No one knows what's going to happen, but I'm a little sick and tired of hearing everyone badmouth the team. They are currently the best team in the league. They have the best record in the league. They have many of the best players. And what's more - and this is the real reason I can't understand why everyone hates them so much - they don't have any showboats on the team.

Are there players in the league that are better than the Pats players? Certainly. However, there isn't a team better put together than the Pats, right now.

I would love to see the Dolphins or the Ravens go onto the Superbowl next year, but I doubt that's going to happen. For now, I'm just happy watching a team like the Patriots shoot for perfection.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Eh, the Colts lost today, so I'm no longer interested. I never really was interested in football anyway, but I have caught myself watching the Colts play a game or two this year. It was awesome watching my home team win the Superbowl last year. Though admittedly I'm not totally sure what's going on sometimes, I'm not a sports person at all.
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

curt_grymala wrote:

Look, I'm a fan of the Dolphins first and the Ravens second, but I've got to give the proper respect to the Patriots. They are an amazing team, and they are not overrated. Tom Brady is an incredible quarterback who's broken just about every record a quarterback can hold.

They have not yet fallen. They have a perfect season, thus far. Can they still lose? Certainly. Are they capable of winning next week and then taking the SuperBowl? Absolutely.

No one knows what's going to happen, but I'm a little sick and tired of hearing everyone badmouth the team. They are currently the best team in the league. They have the best record in the league. They have many of the best players. And what's more - and this is the real reason I can't understand why everyone hates them so much - they don't have any showboats on the team.
They Cheat.

another reason for me is Randy Moss. I hate players like him and T.O.

as for them being overrated, they play in what is easily the weakest division in the NFL. with the exception of NE there is no competition in the AFC East. so 6 easy victories for the Patriots right there.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

curt_grymala wrote:

Are there players in the league that are better than the Pats players? Certainly. However, there isn't a team better put together than the Pats, right now.

I would love to see the Dolphins or the Ravens go onto the Superbowl next year, but I doubt that's going to happen. For now, I'm just happy watching a team like the Patriots shoot for perfection.
Glad I'm not the only Ravens fan around these parts. 8-) And you never know. Next year the Ravens could be good under whoever is brought on as the new head coach.

I'd love to see New England lose next week (or in the Super Bowl, that's fine too). Simply put I'm tired of seeing things get called improperly, as I've seen many times this season with regards to the Patriots (Like the winning touchdown in the game against the Ravens: I was there behind that endzone, it was NOT a touchdown). I was always taught that cheaters never prosper, I guess that doesn't apply to professional sports.
that_guy
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by that_guy »

Covar wrote:another reason for me is Randy Moss. I hate players like him and T.O.
I don't consider Moss and Owens in the same category, skill wise and off the field wise.

Moss isn't a show boat. He goes out, catches most the balls thrown his way, and even beating at a few times this year TRIPLE coverage.

Owens is the exact opposite. A big mouth who drops a lot of big passes, but his main thing is he is an entertainer and that is why people like him. I'm a Cowboys fan and I was glad when Owens came to the team because we were needing a good receiver, but he is no Moss. I found it funny that people counted Moss out and saying he was a wash up; the man was dominating as a Viking with a decent QB like Culpepper and then moved to a team like the Raiders, of course if you don't have a QB who has the accuracy and the arm strength even the best wide out running the perfect routes is going to look stupid.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

curt_grymala wrote:"Almost" being the keyword.
Doesn't matter. The Patriots are not some gods of football that cannot fail. They almost lost. Yes, an near-loss is still a win, but the point is that those games could have easily been a loss. They are not much higher than everyone else.
curt_grymala wrote:Look, I'm a fan of the Dolphins first and the Ravens second, but I've got to give the proper respect to the Patriots. They are an amazing team, and they are not overrated. Tom Brady is an incredible quarterback who's broken just about every record a quarterback can hold.
I'm not saying they aren't an amazing team. Watching them certainly makes me jealous. But they are very overrated.
curt_grymala wrote:I would love to see the Dolphins or the Ravens go onto the Superbowl next year, but I doubt that's going to happen. For now, I'm just happy watching a team like the Patriots shoot for perfection.
They've won three Superbowls in the past 7 seasons. That's a dynasty. I hate dynasties unless they are my home team. I don't mind pulling for successful teams that aren't my home team (I like the Packers, Giants, Steelers, and Colts), but I do not like dynasties nor do I like the Patriots. My home team has never been a very successful team, by the way--last year was the first time we had ever been to a conference championship game, which really sucks as New Orleans is a city that lives, breathes, and bleeds by the Saints.

And the Patriots cheat.
It's thinking...
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus »

I'm not saying they aren't an amazing team. Watching them certainly makes me jealous. But they are very overrated.
How so? It seems hard to overrate a team that's won three Super Bowls in four years and just finished a perfect season.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Roofus wrote:
How so? It seems hard to overrate a team that's won three Super Bowls in four years and just finished a perfect season.
As I hang around in multiple IRC channels dedicated to football, I see a lot of people who act like it is absolutely impossible to defeat the Patriots, and we've seen it come very close several times this season.

You can still be amazing and overrated at the same time.

And they cheat.
It's thinking...
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

The main reason I care about the Patriots is Wes Welker. I've been watching him since he was in college.

As far as the home team thing goes, the closest thing I have to a home team is the Cowboys, and they sure stunk it up last night. That's ok though, I'd already predicted them losing, but not to the Giants! Romo needs to stop worrying about his girl and start worrying about his career.
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

that_guy wrote:
Covar wrote:another reason for me is Randy Moss. I hate players like him and T.O.
I don't consider Moss and Owens in the same category, skill wise and off the field wise.
You're right. T.O. is just a loudmouth cancer to a team, and Randy Moss nearly purposely runs over a cop.

Two people who i wouldn't want within a hundred yards of my football team.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

It's thinking...
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by JuddWack »

I'm pretty pumped about the chargers. I just moved here for work and they only lost one game since I arrived I think. It would be a good omen to see them win the superbowl, especially after seeing Philadelphia blow it so many times.
AgentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen

Post by AgentGreen »

darc, you're just mad that the Saints got trounced by the Bears last year in the NFC Championship. I almost wish the Saints got "dynasty" team with a good handful of seasons after sucking rotten for the better of 3 decades, just like the Patriots, so I could expose you as a hypocrite.

And besides, if the "they cheat" thing is referring to the whole videotape fiasco, Mistakes were made, Bellichick was fined (biggest fine in NFL history, no less), the Patriots were fined, they lost their first round draft pick for 08, and nobody has been able to prove they used the tapes to get an advantage DURING a game. In fact the only real violation they could get him on was where the camera was filming from. Regardless, they got caught, they were punished, they haven't done it again, they're still winning, get over it.

Yes, they won some games where it looks like they should not have, but the point is they won. They were almost beaten but as the adage goes: "almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades."
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

AgentGreen wrote:darc, you're just mad that the Saints got trounced by the Bears last year in the NFC Championship. I almost wish the Saints got "dynasty" team with a good handful of seasons after sucking rotten for the better of 3 decades, just like the Patriots, so I could expose you as a hypocrite.
How would you expose me as a hypocrite? I just got finished saying that I would only support a dynasty if it were my home team. :guffaw:

Pre-Superbowl Pats have still done much more than the Saints have.

Of course I'm disappointed that the Saints lost, but that has nothing to do with my views on dynasties and the Pats. The game is about competition, not domination.

If I'm a hypocrite then you're a homer.
Agent_Green wrote:And besides, if the "they cheat" thing is referring to the whole videotape fiasco, Mistakes were made, Bellichick was fined (biggest fine in NFL history, no less), the Patriots were fined, they lost their first round draft pick for 08, and nobody has been able to prove they used the tapes to get an advantage DURING a game. In fact the only real violation they could get him on was where the camera was filming from. Regardless, they got caught, they were punished, they haven't done it again, they're still winning, get over it.
Biggest is relative, they should have been penalized more. Oh noes, they lost their draft pick, what are they going to do? They need to get some talent really soon, I'm sure... Besides, they still have a first round draft pick left.
Oh noes, fined money!? I'm sure they've already got way more money than the salary cap they're paying their players, anyway...

Agent_Green wrote:Yes, they won some games where it looks like they should not have, but the point is they won. They were almost beaten but as the adage goes: "almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades."
Maybe I should make it really big so you can read what I said twice already, are your eyes OK?

I RECOGNIZED THAT THE PATRIOTS ARE AN AMAZING TEAM--ANYONE WHO DISAGREES HAS ISSUES--BUT THEY ARE OVERRATED AND IT SHOWS BECAUSE THEY ALMOST LOST SEVERAL TIMES. "ALMOST" DOES COUNT WHEN COMPARING SCORES TO SCORES. OBVIOUSLY A 100-0 WIN MAKES A TEAM BETTER THAN A 100-99 WIN. THE PATRIOTS ARE FOOTBALL PLAYERS JUST MARGINALLY BETTER THAN ANYONE ELSE; THEY ARE NOT FOOTBALL GODS. MANY PEOPLE THINK THEY ARE GODS. THEY ACTUALLY ARE NOT. THAT MAKES THEM "OVERRATED."

Besides, if you want to argue that "almost" doesn't count, then why keep track of their undefeated record? At the end of the day, a team wins the Superbowl, right? It doesn't matter if they shut out every other team, right?
It's thinking...
that_guy
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by that_guy »

butters wrote:The main reason I care about the Patriots is Wes Welker. I've been watching him since he was in college.
Same here, I have payed more attention to the Patriots because of Welker, being white and going to Tech. But a bandwagon jumper I am not and I don't like the Patriots, though they do put on a good show.
Covar wrote:Randy Moss nearly purposely runs over a cop
That was 6 years ago, you remind me of a politician digging up old shit on someone. However I do laugh about it now because hell, it was funny.
Covar wrote:Two people who i wouldn't want within a hundred yards of my football team
Lets be glad you aren't a team owner or a coach. Parcells turned Owens self centered attitute around for the most part and now he seems to focus on sounding good in the publc eye. Moss has matured and listens to what Bellichick has to say and has got rid of any bad boy status he once had, like back in the 02 season you were referencing earlier and for the most part keeps quiet about his games both in the future and past.
DuffMan
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DuffMan »

|darc| wrote:
Agent_Green wrote:And besides, if the "they cheat" thing is referring to the whole videotape fiasco, Mistakes were made, Bellichick was fined (biggest fine in NFL history, no less), the Patriots were fined, they lost their first round draft pick for 08, and nobody has been able to prove they used the tapes to get an advantage DURING a game. In fact the only real violation they could get him on was where the camera was filming from. Regardless, they got caught, they were punished, they haven't done it again, they're still winning, get over it.
Biggest is relative, they should have been penalized more. Oh noes, they lost their draft pick, what are they going to do? They need to get some talent really soon, I'm sure... Besides, they still have a first round draft pick left.
Oh noes, fined money!? I'm sure they've already got way more money than the salary cap they're paying their players, anyway...
You think the Pats are the only team to do this? I'm sure they ALL video tape each other trying to get tips. The point is the pats were the first team to get caught.

How else do you suppose they fine them? Make it so they can't play next season? Money is about all they can do. Anyways who cares? All Football is, is entrainment, don't want to support them? Don't watch the games.
OOH! YA! Duffman Says a lot of things.