Anyone watch college football?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Anyone watch college football?

Post by |darc| »

This is probably a long shot, but I was wondering if anyone here watched college football, or really football in general. This season I've gotten into football a lot, and my university's team is currently ranked #2 and playing in the National Championship tomorrow.

Ohio State is going down! :)
It's thinking...
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Anyone watch college football?

Post by Covar »

I mostly just follow the NFL because my school (NCSU) is a much better basketball team. That said i'll probably be rooting for LSU tomorrow.

also GIANTS WON THE WILDCARD GAME!!!!!1!
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

What evs

Atleast OSU will score first.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
that_guy
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by that_guy »

I'm a huge college football fan, I use to write about it over at pbreview before I got banned. :lol:

As far as the game tonight, I don't see it really being a game. I mean come on, last year Ohio State was destroyed by Florida and they don't have the caliber players that they had last year. They lost to Illinois who was completely destroyed by USC. Ohio State came into this season ranked higher than what they should of been, but those stupid preseason pickers think they know it all and what happened, they got everything wrong.

LSU being there? Being the only 2 loss team in the history of the BCS to make it to the championship? Jumping Georgia who was higher ranked in the BCS before the SEC Championship? Yes, I called LSU as one of my preseason picks to run the table and go undefeated. They lost 2 games, but the SEC is without a doubt the best/strongest conference in college football. It has been that way for the past 7 or so years and I don't see that changing in the near future. Of course with a schedule like each of these teams has someone isn't going to go undefeated. If they do, then that is a team that needs a place in the all time greatest teams of college football history. So yes, I do think LSU should be exactly where they are. Ohio State on the other hand? The no counting losers in the Big 10 with 11 teams, no they are going to be outmatched in every aspect of tonights game.

If infact I am wrong, then I will say it. However, I don't see a loss being handed to LSU by the likes of this season's Ohio State team. If it happens, someone was paid off. Oh and before anyone says something, I am not an LSU fan but infact a lifelong Longhorn, but I know a good team when I see one and I know an outclassed team when I see one.

Roll Tide Roll
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Covar wrote:also GIANTS WON THE WILDCARD GAME!!!!!1!
Yeah, I saw that--I was happy, too. Of course with the Saints-Bucs rivalry there was no way I'd root for the Bucs, but after the Giants-Patriots game last week, I definitely feel inclined to root for the Giants. The Giants had nothing to play for but they still played their asses off against the Patriots, and that is definitely worthy of respect. I'd like to see them go all the way, to be honest.
that_guy wrote:As far as the game tonight, I don't see it really being a game. I mean come on, last year Ohio State was destroyed by Florida and they don't have the caliber players that they had last year. They lost to Illinois who was completely destroyed by USC. Ohio State came into this season ranked higher than what they should of been, but those stupid preseason pickers think they know it all and what happened, they got everything wrong.

LSU being there? Being the only 2 loss team in the history of the BCS to make it to the championship? Jumping Georgia who was higher ranked in the BCS before the SEC Championship? Yes, I called LSU as one of my preseason picks to run the table and go undefeated. They lost 2 games, but the SEC is without a doubt the best/strongest conference in college football. It has been that way for the past 7 or so years and I don't see that changing in the near future. Of course with a schedule like each of these teams has someone isn't going to go undefeated. If they do, then that is a team that needs a place in the all time greatest teams of college football history. So yes, I do think LSU should be exactly where they are. Ohio State on the other hand? The no counting losers in the Big 10 with 11 teams, no they are going to be outmatched in every aspect of tonights game.

If infact I am wrong, then I will say it. However, I don't see a loss being handed to LSU by the likes of this season's Ohio State team. If it happens, someone was paid off. Oh and before anyone says something, I am not an LSU fan but infact a lifelong Longhorn, but I know a good team when I see one and I know an outclassed team when I see one.

Roll Tide Roll
Yeah, I pretty much agree on all points there. I don't think OSU is a bad team, but they really haven't shown anything in my opinion that suggests that they should be #1. Their schedule was also weak as hell: they never even played a team ranked in the top 20 at the time of the game.
It's thinking...
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

I'm going for LSU, simply because I can't stand the Big 10 conference. They don't even play a conference championship, yet they get included in the national championship. I've never understood that. On top of that, the Big 10 commissioner is one of the biggest defenders of the BCS fiasco system. I want playoffs! Especially after a year like this one.
that_guy
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by that_guy »

Something I have thought about - Keep the bowls but place the playoff system in. The bowl games is where the quater,semi, and championship game will be played at. 32 total bowls were played this year. Let's half this to 16 bowls where the top 32 teams play eachother. Bowls will be decided by bidding, then the playoff system implemented. The two teams that survive will be in the BCS Championship game, where even the number 32 team has a chance at playing in the championship game. That's just my thoughts though. Makes me wish I knew a higher up in the NCAA to run this by them.

On a side note I always found it funny that Pete Carroll was against the playoff system until his precious Trojans were robbed a few years back with the championship game played between OU and LSU. He cried to high heaven for a playoff system after that happened. Speaking of that, OU shouldn't of even been in that game with the loss to Kansas State in the Big 12 Championship game./rant
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover

Post by butters »

I'm for a 16 team playoff with each conference, even the mid majors, getting a seed, then filling the rest from at large teams. The other teams can play a bowl game, kind of like how in basketball you have playoffs, but you also have the NIT.
that_guy
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by that_guy »

The only bad thing is that someone is always going to complain. If there is 16 teams then if it goes by ranking #17 is going to complain about 16 not being enough or not being fair. Same goes for my 32 though, #33 is going to complain.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover

Post by butters »

One more thing that would be cool. NFL-style home field advantages for the top seeds except for the championship game.
that_guy
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by that_guy »

Hey butters, I went up against TTU's paintball team yesterday at my home field here in Midland. Needless to say they are pretty good and I got my ass handed to me. :lol:
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover

Post by butters »

That's pretty neat. How's things in the oil country?
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

LSU WINS!
It's thinking...
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

butters wrote:I'm going for LSU, simply because I can't stand the Big 10 conference. They don't even play a conference championship, yet they get included in the national championship. I've never understood that. On top of that, the Big 10 commissioner is one of the biggest defenders of the BCS fiasco system. I want playoffs! Especially after a year like this one.
I fully believe all the BCS conferences should have a conference championship. I find it odd that you bash the Big 10 for not having a championship and still have a team in the national championship. What about USC and the Pac 10? What about West Virginia in the Big East (wouldve played instead of LSU but somehow lost to Pitt)? People always do this to Ohio State in the Big 10, but never the other teams.

As for the game tonight, I tuned in part way into the game and was amazed to see OSU up 10-0. The game still turned out much closer than I thought it would. I think the real winner at the end of the day is Nebraska for getting Bo Pellini back! Maybe the Huskers will take down Oklahoma next year and I can stop living in shame about being a fan of the Huskers and how they havent won a really big game in about 6 years.
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

Also...GIANTS BLOW, GO COWBOYS!!!
Synlor
Official DCEMU Stalker
Official DCEMU Stalker

Post by Synlor »

mrandyk wrote:
butters wrote:I think the real winner at the end of the day is Nebraska for getting Bo Pellini back! Maybe the Huskers will take down Oklahoma next year and I can stop living in shame about being a fan of the Huskers and how they havent won a really big game in about 6 years.
Pellini may be good, but I doubt he can rescue the Huskers by the next season. They were simply awful this year and it will take awhile to salvage it. Lincoln is a depressing place when the Huskers aren't good at football. I still find it hilarious that the local TV stations interrupted every show whenever there was a conference about Calahan or something to do with football. The best part is on game days, the evening news is condensed literally into 3 minutes out of 30, and the rest is devoted to the Huskers. One I saw covered a murder in town, a rare event, in just a word of passing just so they could get more football coverage. Ah, to attend a university where its football team seems to be the only source of entertainment for the whole state.
Thanks to Digital Chaos, GoldbergWWE, and ace for the avatar, sig, and badge!
http://devcast.dcemulation.com
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover

Post by butters »

mrandyk wrote:
butters wrote:I'm going for LSU, simply because I can't stand the Big 10 conference. They don't even play a conference championship, yet they get included in the national championship. I've never understood that. On top of that, the Big 10 commissioner is one of the biggest defenders of the BCS fiasco system. I want playoffs! Especially after a year like this one.
I fully believe all the BCS conferences should have a conference championship. I find it odd that you bash the Big 10 for not having a championship and still have a team in the national championship. What about USC and the Pac 10? What about West Virginia in the Big East (wouldve played instead of LSU but somehow lost to Pitt)? People always do this to Ohio State in the Big 10, but never the other teams.

As for the game tonight, I tuned in part way into the game and was amazed to see OSU up 10-0. The game still turned out much closer than I thought it would. I think the real winner at the end of the day is Nebraska for getting Bo Pellini back! Maybe the Huskers will take down Oklahoma next year and I can stop living in shame about being a fan of the Huskers and how they havent won a really big game in about 6 years.
Remember a certain team from the state of Missouri that was #2 until it played in the Big 12 championship and lost to Oklahoma for the second time? Had there been no Big 12 championship LSU would have gotten a lower BCS game and Georgia would have been left out of the BCS. The BCS system penalized Missouri so much for losing to the same team twice that they ended up in a regular bowl game and Kansas, who Missouri beat, went to a BCS game.

BTW, I don't care for the Pac 10 either, and know pretty much nothing about the Big East since they don't usually end up on TV much around here.
that_guy
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by that_guy »

butters wrote:That's pretty neat. How's things in the oil country?
Slow and boring yet I work for Clearwire so I get to do a lot of nothing and get paid for it. :D
Synlor wrote:Pellini may be good, but I doubt he can rescue the Huskers by the next season. They were simply awful this year and it will take awhile to salvage it.
Agreed. I don't care who the coach is, the recruiting is going to get that much harder in the north with Mizzou and Kansas actually doing decent this year. It will take a few years for them to actually start getting something together on both sides of the ball again. I remember the days of the option with Nebraska and how they were once almost unstoppable here in the Big 12 with it. Granted Crouch was an over-rated QB who won the Heisman, he at least got his team over .500 and to a few bowl games.
butters wrote:Remember a certain team from the state of Missouri that was #2 until it played in the Big 12 championship and lost to Oklahoma for the second time? Had there been no Big 12 championship LSU would have gotten a lower BCS game and Georgia would have been left out of the BCS. The BCS system penalized Missouri so much for losing to the same team twice that they ended up in a regular bowl game and Kansas, who Missouri beat, went to a BCS game.

BTW, I don't care for the Pac 10 either, and know pretty much nothing about the Big East since they don't usually end up on TV much around here.
On the BCS, Hawaii making it to a bowl game was nice, but with the complete asswhoopin they received from Georgia it placed shame to the previous 2 teams to make it from a non BCS conference, Boise State last year and Utah before them. With that loss people are going to question why Hawaii was there in the first place when a more deserving team should have been there. Personally I feel happy that Hawaii made it, yet I feel Mizzou was robbed and Kansas making it to a BCS game with a sub-par performance against Va Tech shouldn't of been in a bowl game of that caliber.

On the Big East, a lot of their games get played on ESPN on Thursday nights. I watched my preseason pick Louisville lose their first two games there. With that being said, I saw more Big East games than ACC personally.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover

Post by butters »

that_guy wrote:
On the Big East, a lot of their games get played on ESPN on Thursday nights. I watched my preseason pick Louisville lose their first two games there. With that being said, I saw more Big East games than ACC personally.
No wonder I don't see there games. I don't usually watch TV on weeknights.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

The president of the University of Georgia is calling for an eight-team playoff system for college football's top division, saying the Bowl Championship Series -- which left Georgia out of its championship game -- has become a "beauty contest largely stage-managed by the networks."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3186232
It's thinking...