New open-source handheld revealed: Pandora

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
TyBO
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New open-source handheld revealed: Pandora

Post by TyBO »

Engadget wrote:The tips have been flowing in hot and heavy on this one, so we felt it only fair to pass along the latest rumblings in the world of GP2X to you. We first got word that a new emulation monster could be coming from the GP2X community back in September, and if late breaking mockups and specification lists are to be believed, that system is indeed Pandora. Notably, the product seen above is purported to feature a keyboard (obviously), 4.3-inch 800 x 480 resolution touchscreen and built-in WiFi (802.11b/g) -- all inclusions that were previously mentioned -- along with an ARM Cortex A8 CPU, OpenGL ES 2.0-compliant 3D hardware, dual SDHC expansion slots, TV output and USB connectivity. Unfortunately, we know nothing more than that at the moment, as dates / pricing still remain a mystery, but if Pandora does prove to be more than a figment of someone's imagination, we're betting it'll be worth the wait.

Update: Looks like the price is set at around $320, while the release should happen in March or April.
Link: http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/20/gp2x ... d-pandora/

This looks very, very cool. It's basically a homebrew-centric handheld being made by people who were fed up with the poor design of the GP2X. Granted, there hasn't been any company name attached to the machine, so this could all be vaporware, but I'm pretty convinced it's real. Apparently it'll be capable of fullspeed Playstation emulation and possibly fullspeed N64, as well as fullspeed emulation for all the major consoles that came prior to that generation.

I figured there'd be some interest here, since this is an emulation/homebrew kind of website.

Thoughts?
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer
Has thanked: 0

Re: New open-source handheld revealed: Pandora

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

Most community-based commercial projects are likely to fail. Not so much in software/games but this is hardware, and a sophiticated piece of hardware at that. I'd write this off immediately as a pipe dream. Of course, if it is ever developed you can expect me to be first in line to get it.