OMG, they're actually not f*cking up NiGHTS

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: OMG, they're actually not fucking up NiGHTS

Post by DaMadFiddler »

It looks fun, though the graphics really are a bit underwhelming in the texture department. Like a GameCube game...when the word first started coming out about Wii's technical specs, I was thinking the games would look more or less like 'Cube efforts with better effects, and much sharper textures. But people don't seem to be taking advantage of those resources...yet, at least. Galaxy looks incredible.

Also, no cursing in the subject ;)
politoe
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by politoe »

I was a bit sketchy on how this was going to get pulled of. So far it looks good, the camera angle is the only thing that has been changed and the graphics don't look so bad. I'm pretty sure they will update the visuals by the time the game is out.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

politoe wrote: I'm pretty sure they will update the visuals by the time the game is out.

I wouldn't count on it.

Game does look pretty good though. When I seen the first few screens of this game awhile back I was worried they was going to screw with it, however it looks like it will be pretty good. I just hope they don't screw the controls up though. I would just assume have seen this on the 360 myself as Im sure it would look much better graphically and control wise be about like the first one.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
S. Thompson
The Fuzmeister
The Fuzmeister

Post by S. Thompson »

Looks like it's shaping up to be alright...

Of course, a trailer can basically talk anything into looking grand.

- Fuzmeister
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

S. Thompson wrote:Of course, a trailer can basically talk anything into looking grand.
True, the first video was just mostly fluff and quick game shots. But the second video with an actual level being played paints a much more accurate picture, and that picture looks to be exactly like what everyone wanted.
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Re: OMG, they're actually not f*cking up NiGHTS

Post by MulletMan13 »

Hrmm... I have never played the first one but I really wanted to.

Nevertheless after watching that gameplay video it hardly looks like any fun or anything... pointing the Wiimote at the screen to fly through hoops? Looks like a glorified flash game.

Of course there is probably more to it... and please tell me what there is other than what I'm seeing.
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
GyroVorbis
Elysian Shadows Developer

Post by GyroVorbis »

The guy who played that demo looked like he sucked or didn't know what he was doing.

The original NiGHTs almost reminds me of a 2D Sonic game played in the air. You're soaring around super fast, breaking through things, flying through hoops, collecting little spheres, and pulling off really cool tricks. If you suck at the game, yeah, it's really slow "fly through little hoops" looking.

For those of you unfamiliar with the gameplay mechanics of the original, do yourselves a favor and watch this for a better understanding:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=0danX6sjcsg
Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS

Post by Caboose »

MulletMan13 wrote:Hrmm... I have never played the first one but I really wanted to.

Nevertheless after watching that gameplay video it hardly looks like any fun or anything... pointing the Wiimote at the screen to fly through hoops? Looks like a glorified flash game.

Of course there is probably more to it... and please tell me what there is other than what I'm seeing.
It's kind of like Sonic, really, except that you fly. In the first one, you are supposed to fly around and collect these blue orbs, when you have enough you can kill an enemy. When the enemy is dead, he releases a different colour orb which you are supposed to bring back to where you started. There is a time limit, and the faster you are the more points you get. You also get bonus points for flying through the loops in like a combo (for however consecutive loops you fly through). There are also stars which give you bonus points too. When you have defeated all the enemies in the level (there are 4 per level) then you get to fight a boss. I haven't played the first nights a whole lot (maybe an hour and a half or so, I'm playing it on an emulator with an xbox controller since I don't have a saturn), but from the first two bosses I've beaten it seems that they consist of grabbing the boss and throwing them into something to defeat them. The game is short, but the music is awesome and the whole concept is just great. Also, the replayability value is through the roof. I guess it might be one of those games you either love or hate, kind of like Shenmue.

The video hat gyrovorbis just posted is pretty much just what I explained, lol. The video ends right before the boss battle.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Sounded like the music was off-pitch in that Splash Garden Video?
Stormwatch
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Stormwatch »

Not off-pitch, but yes, different from its regular form. You see, in NiGHTS, the music changes according to the mood of the pians in each level. In Christmas NiGHTS, there's an unlockable mode to play with those variations freely.
Lines join in faint discord and the Stormwatch brews
. . a concert of Kings as the white sea snaps
. . at the heels of a soft prayer
. . whispered
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Stormwatch wrote:Not off-pitch, but yes, different from its regular form. You see, in NiGHTS, the music changes according to the mood of the pians in each level. In Christmas NiGHTS, there's an unlockable mode to play with those variations freely.
Neat, I can't believe after playing that game 100's of times I never noticed.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Sorry to bump this topic, but did anyone notice that Nights is scheduled to be released next week. :o Because I know I had no idea!
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

From the reviews I have read it sounds like this isn't going to be anything all that remarkable. Kinda of funny though in the one review (I think IGN) they complained about the graphics not being all that wonderful. What did they expect with it being put on the Wii??

Only way I would be willing to rush out and buy this game is if it included the original with it. Im going to hold back and see how it pans out.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Veggita2099 wrote:What did they expect with it being put on the Wii??
I don't understand when people say this. Surely you don't mean that just because the Wii isn't capable of outputting what the PS3 and 360 can they should give up on the graphics altogether?
It's thinking...
Joestar
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Joestar »

Just had a go at the japanese version. Man, there are waaay too many cut scenes(unskippable!) in between stages. It's annoying and ruins the flow :? . Hopefully there will be less of them as the game goes on. And I don't quite like the main objective of chasing the bird either.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

Come on, the graphics looked fine. I think there is always too much stress on graphics and not enough on gameplay. At a certain point, graphics are simply "good enough" for me. Anything more detailed doesn't add the the game's enjoyability.
GyroVorbis

Post by GyroVorbis »

:o

Look at the lighting, water effects, bumpmapping, and all that stuff. I thought the graphics looked damn good for a Wii game.
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

That video posted looks repetitive and quite boring.

Sure it wasn't just fun because of our young, little minds?
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

MulletMan13 wrote:That video posted looks repetitive and quite boring.

Sure it wasn't just fun because of our young, little minds?
I was 15 when it came out and thought it was great. I still pull it out from time to time and play it again. It is actually the only reason I even keep a Sega Saturn. The way I look at it Nights into Dreams is the Mario 64 the way Super Mario Galaxy SHOULD be to this next Nights games. I don't expect that to be the case though :/
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

There was Mario Sunshine between Mario 64 and Mario Galaxy though - the developers have said that they couldn't have done Galaxy without having done Sunshine.

The developers of the new Nights have since made... Sonic Heroes, and Shadow the Hedgehog. And they didn't make the original Nights anyway.