Super Mario Galaxy highest rated next-gen game; beats Halo 3

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Super Mario Galaxy highest rated next-gen game; beats Halo 3

Post by JuddWack »

It is a bit easy but the big problem is the boss battles. Besides them being easy they are short! Why go through the trouble of creating these awesome bosses when they can all be defeated in just 3 hits!

I love the music. My favorite theme I've heard so far is the music in that ghost house planet.
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

I love the music. My favorite theme I've heard so far is the music in that ghost house planet.
Too bad zelda TP didn't have the same treatment. My favorite music has to go to the very first stage,the whole game had good music. Now about sunshine, I thought the game would have been easier if the damn textures weren't in your face 83% of the time. Sunshine was fun but there was some stuff I just couldn't stand. I hate how they don't tell you where to go in near the end. Sunshine was pretty good but this game is a lot better. Just wish it was wee bit harder,that's all.
Have you played dreamcast today?
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

I'm at 45 stars now. It does get more difficult as it goes on, and there are eventually longer bosses. Probably the hardest boss I've fought is the one in the Ghost galaxy. I've actually beaten him twice though, and the second time was with a "daredevil" comet, which means you have to beat him without getting hit, which I did manage after a few tries.

Regardless of the difficulty, the game is excellent. If I was rating without decimals, the game is at this point a 10/10. With, I'd say easily a 9.5, probably a 9.75. The atmosphere, platform design, and general feel are some of the best in all of gaming.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

I beat the game yesterday. Shame you can fight the last boss with only 1/2 the stars...they should have put it at 70 or 75 imo as easy as most of the game is.
The last boss is pretty cool, though not that hard once you learn his patterns. Now I'm going to try to get all 120 stars.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

I don't think I've ever been so depressed over a game before. Every time I jump into it, I find myself wishing for something I'm not going to get out of the game. Hell, at this point I think I'd have more fun going back and playing Mario Sunshine instead.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Its a great game thats for sure. Far as difficulty goes it is for the most part pretty easy. I don't think I have to talk about my feelings about sunshine as I am sure there is plenty of threads with me bitching about it. Overall though I had a lot more fun with Mario 64 then I did this game though. I guess it is probably because Mario 64 was the first of its type (well at least for me).

I definitely don't regret buying this game though. It is probably the first Wii game I have played that actually feels like it was built for the Wii.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
S. Thompson
The Fuzmeister
The Fuzmeister

Post by S. Thompson »

The game is good, but is it really as revolutionary as Mario 64 was? I'm not so sure. I love it to death so far, but it seems a little on the easy side... though I've been wondering if it's just because I've gotten progressively better at games.

I have about 67 stars and I'm waiting to fight Bowser. They definitely should have made the minimum amount required to fight the final battle higher... a lot of the later levels are really cool and people could conceivably skip over them without blinking.

- Fuzmeister
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

S. Thompson wrote:The game is good, but is it really as revolutionary as Mario 64 was? I'm not so sure. I love it to death so far, but it seems a little on the easy side... though I've been wondering if it's just because I've gotten progressively better at games.

I have about 67 stars and I'm waiting to fight Bowser. They definitely should have made the minimum amount required to fight the final battle higher... a lot of the later levels are really cool and people could conceivably skip over them without blinking.

- Fuzmeister
I think some of it might just be getting better from previous games, although this game is no where near as "Jumpy" as Sunshine or even Mario 64.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

I don't think it is fair to compare this to Mario 64 in terms of originality. It came out when 3D was really just beginning and helped define it. There aren't any more genre leaps like that coming any time soon, if ever.

That said, I just beat Mario Galaxy at the minimum stars. I'm gonna take a break from it, and then go back and get all the stars. And BTW, I didn't even go into the last collection of galaxies before beating the game.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

I decided to stick with Mario Galaxy, and the deeper you get into it, the more addictive it becomes. Sure, I'm still sore about the linearity, but each level is crafted in a way that once you complete it, you find yourself wanting to do 'one more level'. It's quick, its fun, and it has more in common with Super Mario 3 than any 3D Mario.
Egotistical EvilN
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Egotistical EvilN »

I wanted to get it yesterday, but Circuit City didn't get any copies in. Any other good deals on this game?
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

I had some fellow coworkers hold the last copy. I love this game but my only complaint: it is quite obvious that the difficulty that I enjoyed in sunshine has been toned down to appeal to a much younger audience. within hours of first playing, I was clearing several levels.
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

Some of the later stars are really frustrating to obtain, but outside of those 10 you wont have much trouble getting the star. Those stages that remind me of super monkey ball had me ripping my hair out.

My favorite part of the game though is what you get after you get all of the stars.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

Grr stupid purple coins. Quite frustrating getting about 45 of them then falling into a black hole....
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Well, my opinion of this game has totally changed since first playing it. Last night I finally got all 120 stars. For those that say the game is too easy, try getting 120 stars. Some of them are super difficult, but none of them felt like cheap deaths (unlike Mario Sunshine). I never felt such a rush from a video game since Mario 64. The level of satisfaction from later star collecting is immense.

And once you beat the game, an entirely new game opens up. I thought I was done, but it appears that I've only reached the halfway point. :o
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

You people are really driving me nuts. My Wii is currently broken right now and I haven't gotten around to fixing it yet, and I have very little time on my hands. I really wanna play this :(
It's thinking...
arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by arrowhead »

|darc| wrote:You people are really driving me nuts. My Wii is currently broken right now and I haven't gotten around to fixing it yet, and I have very little time on my hands. I really wanna play this :(

Wow, really? How did you break it, or maybe a better question is how did it break? None of my nintendo hardware has even broken and they have been thrashed.

Was it because of overheating?
Shut that cunts mouth before I come over there and fuck start her head
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

arrowhead wrote:
|darc| wrote:You people are really driving me nuts. My Wii is currently broken right now and I haven't gotten around to fixing it yet, and I have very little time on my hands. I really wanna play this :(

Wow, really? How did you break it, or maybe a better question is how did it break? None of my nintendo hardware has even broken and they have been thrashed.

One of the modchip solder joints came loose and it gives a DVD error :P
It's thinking...
arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by arrowhead »

|darc| wrote:
arrowhead wrote:

One of the modchip solder joints came loose and it gives a DVD error :P
Weak.
Shut that cunts mouth before I come over there and fuck start her head
MetalGearRay
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by MetalGearRay »

Super Mario Galaxy is the MOST overrated game of ALL TIME!

Why is it getting perfect or near-perfect scores from so many people? It's seriously a generic platformer. It adds nothing new, and I know that's not always a bad thing, but it just doesn't do anything for me. No, running around claustrophobic spherical worlds is not innovative. If it wasn't a Mario game, and he was instead replaced with a regular monkey, squirrel or bear, this game would have been in the bargain bin a month ago, and it would have an average review ranking of about 60%.