Cool gift ideas

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Cool gift ideas

Post by JuddWack »

I'm having some trouble picking out a gift for my older bro and he usually gets me really cool stuff. I thought it might be nice to have a thread for the holiday season with links to some cool and unique gift idea. I guess I'll start it off with an interesting board game I got last year.

Polarity
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/380
Although this site gives it a 6.9, I like the game because its very different, short games, easy to learn and hard to master.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Re: Cool gift ideas

Post by Veggita2099 »

Hard to suggest anything since we don't know anything other then he buys you neat stuff?
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Best gift is cash.
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by JuddWack »

Haha, I'm just asking for some cool ideas in general. For guys or girls any age. Stuff that you guys think would make a great gift this holiday season.
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

bizzle wrote:Best gift is cash.
Never have to worry about the color, and it's always the right size. I know some people buy gift cards, I guess they think it seems more thoughtful then just handing them cash. But I'd much rather have $100 cash then 100 Wally World Dollars.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

It really depends on how close the person giving the gift is to you. I used to love cash as a kid because I could run out and buy whatever video game I wanted, whereas if someone bought me an actual gift it would always be something lame like clothes or a movie- or TV show-based game. But it just seems nowadays that when I get cash I just wind up sticking it in my wallet and it gets used for general purpose stuff. I guess this is sort of the rationale behind giving gift cards, as you have to spend them on something enjoyable instead of buying gas or food with it, but I can't stand gift cards because they're always for some place I barely ever shop at. Nowadays I would much rather someone give me an actual gift, but only if they're close enough to me that they actually know what to give me.
It's thinking...
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

|darc| wrote:
It really depends on how close the person giving the gift is to you. I used to love cash as a kid because I could run out and buy whatever video game I wanted, whereas if someone bought me an actual gift it would always be something lame like clothes or a movie- or TV show-based game. But it just seems nowadays that when I get cash I just wind up sticking it in my wallet and it gets used for general purpose stuff. I guess this is sort of the rationale behind giving gift cards, as you have to spend them on something enjoyable instead of buying gas or food with it, but I can't stand gift cards because they're always for some place I barely ever shop at. Nowadays I would much rather someone give me an actual gift, but only if they're close enough to me that they actually know what to give me.
I need to pay my bills, not play with toys. Someone giving me cash for me to use to pay my bills or put gas in my car is a gift.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

JuddWack wrote:Haha, I'm just asking for some cool ideas in general. For guys or girls any age. Stuff that you guys think would make a great gift this holiday season.
I'd like to get "The God Delusion" book. Most probably not going to happen :|.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

to be honest, probably the cheapest, 'coolest' gift i can find now are those mini helicopters for 10-25$ (10 online 25 at bestbuy)

i love playing with mine, if nothing more then just annoying the crap out of people lol. (randomly fly it infront of the tv/computer/faces while they are in a serious conversation or playing guitar hero) ok, so it might not be that cool but they are really fun, and fairly cheap.
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

bizzle wrote:
|darc| wrote:
I need to pay my bills, not play with toys. Someone giving me cash for me to use to pay my bills or put gas in my car is a gift.
Gift-giving is about giving gifts. What the hell is the point in giving a gift of $20 cash and then getting a gift of $20 cash? Might as well tell people to not swap gifts.
It's thinking...
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus »

Without knowing anything about your brother or your budget, this is really neat.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

If my life ever gets so boring that I consider being giving cash to pay utility bills "a gift" I'd probably just lock myself away and give up on celebrating Christmas all together. Maybe I could use the spare time to make a budget, so I can afford to live my life without being given money.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

BoneyCork wrote:
If my life ever gets so boring that I consider being giving cash to pay utility bills "a gift" I'd probably just lock myself away and give up on celebrating Christmas all together. Maybe I could use the spare time to make a budget, so I can afford to live my life without being given money.
I can, but if someone gives me a money for a gift, that's what I am going to use it for.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

bizzle wrote:
BoneyCork wrote:
I can, but if someone gives me a money for a gift, that's what I am going to use it for.
So then what do you with the money you already had that you were going to spend on your bills? If you can afford your bills, then somebody gives you more money, there's no getting away from the fact that you have more money than you need.
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by JuddWack »

Personally I love cash, but it's a terrible gift for someone who doesn't need it... like my brother.
The mini-helicopter is an awesome idea.... except HE already beat me to it.
The wifi radio is a cool idea, but way out of my price point. Maybe someone else here will find it useful. Some good suggestions though. Hopefully I can get a few more.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

BoneyCork wrote:
bizzle wrote:
BoneyCork wrote:
So then what do you with the money you already had that you were going to spend on your bills? If you can afford your bills, then somebody gives you more money, there's no getting away from the fact that you have more money than you need.
Instead of paying a mininum payment on something, I'll pay more.
JellyWarrior
General Jelly
General Jelly

Post by JellyWarrior »

bizzle wrote:I need to pay my bills, not play with toys. Someone giving me cash for me to use to pay my bills or put gas in my car is a gift.
Sorry to hear that, I've gone through that kind of thing myself. Always sucked lying to people that I was going to spend it on something good and then going and paying a bill with it.

This year I just want some small meaningfull gifts.
I am hoping for a sandwhich toaster from mum and a fan from my dad's side of the family (as summer is just starting and it's gonna get hot).

Perhaps you could get your brother something different like vouchers for paintball games.
I am involved in : Mytalk | Comet TV | Distinctive Web Services