Gene Simmons:"College Kids Killed Music"

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Egotistical EvilN
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Gene Simmons:"College Kids Killed Music"

Post by Egotistical EvilN »

Gene Simmons, by way of Reuters wrote:IT HAS BEEN NINE YEARS SINCE WE'VE SEEN A NEW KISS ALBUM. ANY PLANS TO GET BACK INTO THE STUDIO?

The record industry is in such a mess. I called for what it was when college kids first started download music for free -- that they were crooks. I told every record label I spoke with that they just lit the fuse to their own bomb that was going to explode from under them and put them on the street.

There is nothing in me that wants to go in there and do new music. How are you going to deliver it? How are you going to get paid for it if people can just get it for free? I will be putting out a Gene Simmons box set called "Monster" -- a collection of 150 unreleased songs. KISS will have another box set of unreleased music in the next year.

The record industry doesn't have a f---ing clue how to make money. It's only their fault for letting foxes get into the henhouse and then wondering why there's no eggs or chickens. Every little college kid, every freshly-scrubbed little kid's face should have been sued off the face of the earth. They should have taken their houses and cars and nipped it right there in the beginning. Those kids are putting 100,000 to a million people out of work. How can you pick on them? They've got freckles. That's a crook. He may as well be wearing a bandit's mask.
http://ca.today.reuters.com/news/newsAr ... SS-COL.XML
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Re: Gene Simmons:"College Kids Killed Music"

Post by |darc| »

If what college kids killed is KISS then good riddance.

EDIT: Oh, and here's more relevant information:
Doesn't affect me. But imagine being a new band with dreams of getting on stage and putting out your own record. Forget it.

BUT SOME ARTISTS LIKE RADIOHEAD AND TRENT REZNOR ARE TRYING TO FIND A NEW BUSINESS MODEL.

That doesn't count. You can't pick on one person as an exception. And that's not a business model that works. I open a store and say "Come on in and pay whatever you want." Are you on f---ing crack? Do you really believe that's a business model that works?

SO WHAT IF MUSIC JUST BECOMES FREE AND ARTISTS MAKE THEIR LIVING OFF OF TOURING AND MERCHANDISE?

Well therein lies the most stupid mistake anybody can make. The most important part is the music. Without that, why would you care? Even the idea that you're considering giving the music away for free makes it easier to give it away for free. The only reason why gold is expensive is because we all agree that it is. There's no real use for it, except we all agree and abide by the idea that gold costs a certain amount per ounce. As soon as you give people the choice to deviate from it, you have chaos and anarchy. And that's what going on.
The last part of that is especially funny because he blasts merchandising, even though in the beginning of the article he brags how successful KISS merchandise is, saying it's the most profitable in the industry over Elvis and The Beatles, which is obviously a fucking lie.
It's thinking...
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Every little college kid, every freshly-scrubbed little kid's face should have been sued off the face of the earth
[/quote]

Except that level of lawsuits would lead to negative publicity would have let to a public outcry and hurt the labels.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster

Post by jaredfogle »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

KISS fucking sucks shit.

I feel ten times better about myself after listening to that loser bitch about how college kids are to blame for him backing himself into an artistic corner that James Joyce couldn't maneuver out of.

There is no way a stupid gimmick band like KISS could stay relevant for very long. The best hope they've got is a reunion tour in Entertainment UberDomes that will sorely disappoint much of the audience.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No offense to KISS fans. Seriously.
Where's toastman? I'm bored.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

Wait a minute....people actually download KISS songs? News to me. The only thing special about them is their stage presence and appearance, I thought he knew that. Nobody gives two shits about their songs because they have no actual musical talent.

Man, reading that makes me want to download some KISS songs. Actually, not quite. I couldn't stomach them even if I tried. I do believe he deserves a swift kick to the nuts though.
AgentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen

Post by AgentGreen »

Nobody in that band has made anything good since....well...ever...

But they haven't made anything tolerable since 1980
firewire1394
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by firewire1394 »

if you want people to buy your stuff try making music worth paying for... ive only paid for 2 albums this year, CAUSE they are worth owning.
zman
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by zman »

First off. I like KISS and I went to the show when they got back together as KISS in the 90's.

Second. I think Gene Simmons is very narrow minded and still thinks of the old ways for the music industry.

The music industry is the problem. Not the downloaders. The industry needs to adopt and change or get out of the way.
AgentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen

Post by AgentGreen »

zman wrote:First off. I like KISS and I went to the show when they got back together as KISS in the 90's.

Second. I think Gene Simmons is very narrow minded and still thinks of the old ways for the music industry.

The music industry is the problem. Not the downloaders. The industry needs to adopt and change or get out of the way.
Well of course he thinks like that , He's an image-based arena-rocker from the 1970s.

The industry needs to cease to exist. It's ludicrous that music is industrialized.
S. Thompson
The Fuzmeister
The Fuzmeister

Post by S. Thompson »

AgentGreen wrote:Well of course he thinks like that , He's an image-based arena-rocker from the 1970s.
Not to be terribly biased, but he's also an idiot as well.

- Fuzmeister
AgentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen

Post by AgentGreen »

S. Thompson wrote:
AgentGreen wrote:Well of course he thinks like that , He's an image-based arena-rocker from the 1970s.
Not to be terribly biased, but he's also an idiot as well.

- Fuzmeister
They're synonymous, really.