Who will be getting Guitar Hero 3?

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Who will be getting Guitar Hero 3?

Post by Skynet »

I want to get this at launch but there are some things I need to consider first.

I have a 360, Wii and PS2. I have the first 2 games on PS2 and have 2 guitars for it. All 3 next gen versions will have online play but cannot play with each other online, I'm not sure if the PS2 version will support online play or stats, etc. The 360 version will have downloadable content and online play, but it will require a Live Gold account. I won't get into the debate in this thread but I don't want to pay for online play when I won't use it as often as others do, although I do want to give online play a go. The Wii version won't look as nice and has no downloadable content but it has rumble support and the bad note sound will come from the guitar due to the Wiimote being placed into the guitar controller, which is cool. Online play will be free via the friends code system. Then comes the PS2 version which won't look as nice, won't have downloadable content, won't have the Wiimote in the controller feature that the Wii has giving rumble and note sound. May have online play and online stats/rankings that the next gen systems have, but I have no idea.

Now if that weren't a bad enough set of choices for me to make a decision on, I also to factor in the fact that if I buy it on something other than PS2, which is very likely, I have to get a second guitar after purchasing the initial bundle on launch. Problem with that is if I get the Wii or 360 version, I don't know how long it will be until I'll be able to get 2nd guitar controllers for it. Not to mention it will run me at over $200AU as I can get the Wii version with controller for AU$149 or the 360 version for AU$154, add the extra controller which I assume will be $50 at the minimum, that's over $200 just for one game.

On top of the 2 controllers I have already and the possibility of 2 more, that brings total amount of guitar controllers to 4. Plus when Rock Band comes out I'll have guitar controllers coming out of my ass! :lol:

So, for those that own any combination of consoles that Guitar Hero 3 is coming out on, what system are you going to choose it for and why?

It would make things easy if it were coming out on PC as I have PS2 > USB adapters already. :lol: And I know this is a long shot, but besides the XFPS or whatever it's called, are there any other PS2 > 360 adapters that aren't expensive?
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Re: Who will be getting Guitar Hero 3?

Post by Veggita2099 »

Its ashame Nintendo has to be so stupid with their on-line gameplay. If you can afford it I would say the 360 version would be the way to go. Then again graphics with a game like that don't amount to much. I imagine the Ps2 and Wii versions will look similar. I guess I would wait and find out if the PS2 version will have on-line support? If it does sounds likes thats the way you should go. If not you might look into something else.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

I could afford it yes, I'm just trying to toss up which would be best in the long run pretty much. Also wondering what other people are thinking about buying.

Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Code-Red »

GH is going in the wrong direction. I don't want to be told which songs to play. Especially when more than 3/4 of the list sucks.

Rockband ftw.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

I'll probably get the PS2 version, since I already have a PS2 guitar.
Vlad Tepes
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Vlad Tepes »

Skynet wrote: It would make things easy if it were coming out on PC as I have PS2 > USB adapters already. :lol: And I know this is a long shot, but besides the XFPS or whatever it's called, are there any other PS2 > 360 adapters that aren't expensive?
Actually...it is coming to PC...in the US anyway. I haven't decided if I'm going to get it. I'm just about burnt out on Guitar Hero. If I do get it, I'll probably get it for PS2. I just don't feel like spending shit-loads of money on new controllers when I already have two that work just fine.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

I'm getting it on 360, no doubt about it. I already have Guitar Hero II so I have a guitar, but I'll get the new one with the new guitar anyway because it looks badass. Online play isn't a biggie for me, I stopped caring about online play in games a long time ago, but I'll give it a spin when I'm bored.

My advice? Get gold. Seriously, you have a lot of games that can be played online, and you DO care about online play, why not plop down some money on that first? If you had gold, then the 360 version would obviously be the one you'd want.
Joestar
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Joestar »

Man, I just tried out the ps2 version. Not that it matters too much, but the character models look like turd. The drummer moves like a stiff robot :lol:

Having said that, I'll be getting the ps2 game along with the kramer controller. It's a no brainer (for me), I've already got all the previous GH games and only 1 guitar. I know i'll be going back to those games, especially with an extra controller. Add to that my Guitar Freaks games, and the upcoming RockBand (for ps2, they've said GH guitars will be compatible.). And I also wanna try out customized tracks for GH2.

Basically my ps2 pads will be MIA these next few months :lol:
Veggita2099 wrote:I guess I would wait and find out if the PS2 version will have on-line support? If it does sounds likes thats the way you should go.
Nope, there's no online for ps2. So you should probably go for the 360 version, atleast you'll have the option to play GH2 on 360 aswell.

ps. There's no co-op quick play(in all the versions of GH3), only co-op career. Which is a bizarre decision :?
Last edited by Joestar on Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joestar
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Joestar »

whoops- doublepost
Last edited by Joestar on Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

I'm actually thinking about picking it up on the PC. Cheapest of the lot too.

*edit

Actually after looking at the system requirements, I may not be.

MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:

* Operating System: Windows XP SP2, Windows Vista
* CPU Processor: Intel Pentium D (Dual Core) 2.8GHZ or AMD Athlon 64 3500+
* Memory: XP - 1 GB RAM, Vista – 2GB RAM
* Hard Disk Space: 5.1 GB + 1GB Swap File
* Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card
* Video Card: 3D Hardware Accelerator Card Required – 100% DirectX 9.0c compatible 128 MB Video Memory
* Video Card (ATI): Radeon X800
* Video Card (Nvidia): Geforce 7600
* Media Required: 4X DVD-ROM drive
* Windows XP/Vista compatible mouse and keyboard with latest drivers
* Guitar Hero 3 Official PC Guitar Controller

A bit extreme for a game like Guitar Hero, especially since it is coming out on the damn PS2.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

I barely meet the requirements for that. I have an AMD 3600+ 1GB of RAM and a 7600GS.

I am almost thinking about the PS2 version as it will be cheapest, but the 360 one looks so damn tempting.

DuffMan
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DuffMan »

I read on IGN that all copies of the game will be able to play each other, I can't remember which article, but they said each version would be able to play against each other online.
OOH! YA! Duffman Says a lot of things.
Joestar
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Joestar »

DuffMan wrote:I read on IGN that all copies of the game will be able to play each other, I can't remember which article, but they said each version would be able to play against each other online.
Not according to the last paragraph on this IGN article: http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/825/825222p2.html
IGN wrote:"...Of course there's more on the web than just leaderboards. You'll also be able to personalize your profile, create an online band similar to a clan, collect groupies for meeting specific goals, challenge other bands, and compete in online tournaments. You may not be able to directly play against the other platforms online, but Guitar Hero III will ultimately link the three console iterations together into one massive meta-game through the online web portal. How cool is that?"
RMD
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by RMD »

I already have it and its fucking great. Everything about it is vastly improved.

Thing I liked the most is how the co op carreer has a totally different song list than the single.

The new guitar is awesome too but its like a psp or a ps3 shows finger prints way to damn easy.
DuffMan
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DuffMan »

Joestar wrote:
DuffMan wrote:I read on IGN that all copies of the game will be able to play each other, I can't remember which article, but they said each version would be able to play against each other online.
Not according to the last paragraph on this IGN article: http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/825/825222p2.html
IGN wrote:"...Of course there's more on the web than just leaderboards. You'll also be able to personalize your profile, create an online band similar to a clan, collect groupies for meeting specific goals, challenge other bands, and compete in online tournaments. You may not be able to directly play against the other platforms online, but Guitar Hero III will ultimately link the three console iterations together into one massive meta-game through the online web portal. How cool is that?"
I found what I read at IGN, but I just misinterpreted it. It was referring to the online community, and how all three versions with be ranked with each other on this website. My misunderstanding.
The new Guitar Hero community site is being put together by Agora Games, a company that specializes in creating community tools that link videogames with the web, and Spiral Design, a firm that provides design and marketing solutions for the games industry. Think of Bungie.net if you're looking for a good corollary from another developer. Once you've linked your profile on your Xbox 360, PS3 or Wii to the Guitar Hero website, which is as simple as entering a code on the site that you find in the game, a wealth of information is fed out and aggregated there as you play. All three versions work with the same site and all three versions will interact together, compete with each other, and become one massive rock and roll community. Between five and 15 minutes is all it will take for your Guitar Hero 3 game results to be reflected on the site. It goes much further than the simple stat tracking that most games offer, though.
OOH! YA! Duffman Says a lot of things.
SinisterTengu
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by SinisterTengu »

I actually have all 4 systems this game is coming out for, but I already ordered the 360 version from RedOctane. I really hope it comes in the mail tomorrow otherwise I'll be getting the game after its launch on Sunday :( . I don't understand why its not here yet since RedOctane went ahead and charged my account on the 18th, a whole week ago. I also might pick up Guitar Hero II for 360 since I heard the new wireless guitar is compatible with it. I already have the three PS2 Guitar Hero games, but the 360 version of the second has like 10 extra songs and 9 extra downloadable ones not including the 12 downloadable Guitar Hero 1 songs.

Anyways, the 360 version seems to be the best option. The controller is native wireless where the PS2 and PS3 versions use USB dongles (why the PS3 doesn't use bluetooth makes no sense..). And if you buy the soundtrack cd for the game, it comes with a code that lets you download 3 extra songs for the 360 version. And then there's the achievements that make suckers like me feel like I'm accomplishing something while playing :P . The PS3 version is almost as good, the Wii and PS2 versions are not HD (I have a 1080p HDTV) and the downloadable content problem blows.
Joestar
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Joestar »

SinisterTengu wrote:The controller is native wireless where the PS2 and PS3 versions use USB dongles
I haven't seen/read much info about the new PS2 kramer guitar, but if it's anything like the previous wireless guitar then it should use a reciever(looks like a block) which plugs into the controller ports, and doesn't look retarded like the PS3 dongles.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

SinisterTengu wrote:I actually have all 4 systems this game is coming out for, but I already ordered the 360 version from RedOctane. I really hope it comes in the mail tomorrow otherwise I'll be getting the game after its launch on Sunday :( . I don't understand why its not here yet since RedOctane went ahead and charged my account on the 18th, a whole week ago. I also might pick up Guitar Hero II for 360 since I heard the new wireless guitar is compatible with it. I already have the three PS2 Guitar Hero games, but the 360 version of the second has like 10 extra songs and 9 extra downloadable ones not including the 12 downloadable Guitar Hero 1 songs.

Anyways, the 360 version seems to be the best option. The controller is native wireless where the PS2 and PS3 versions use USB dongles (why the PS3 doesn't use bluetooth makes no sense..). And if you buy the soundtrack cd for the game, it comes with a code that lets you download 3 extra songs for the 360 version. And then there's the achievements that make suckers like me feel like I'm accomplishing something while playing :P . The PS3 version is almost as good, the Wii and PS2 versions are not HD (I have a 1080p HDTV) and the downloadable content problem blows.
You bring up good points and further push me into thinking of buying the 360 version. I know that there aren't many Aussies on these boards, but in any country can you buy a 360 controller separate without GH2?

butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

For those that haven't seen it, here is the set list for GH3.
SinisterTengu
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by SinisterTengu »

Joestar wrote:I haven't seen/read much info about the new PS2 kramer guitar, but if it's anything like the previous wireless guitar then it should use a reciever(looks like a block) which plugs into the controller ports, and doesn't look retarded like the PS3 dongles.
Here is a pic of the new dongle. It looks like a guitar pick and I'm not sure about the PS2 version but the PS3 version is USB (since it has no controller ports).

And Skynet, in the US we could buy GH2 360 with the guitar ($89.99) or just a guitar ($59.99), and it looks like on the same day GH3 comes out we'll be able to buy just GH2 360 ($49.99). I'll probably try to find it cheaper on ebay though..