DreamEdge: Chui's EDGE (DOOM) port to Dreamcast

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
Christuserloeser
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Been thanked: 0

DreamEdge: Chui's EDGE (DOOM) port to Dreamcast

Post by Christuserloeser »

I checked YouTube for new DreamPlaces (a Quake/DarkPlaces port) videos and noticed this:

Chui wrote:First steps of Edge engine port to Dreamcast.
He's playing FreeDOOM in this video and the engine itself seems to run at full speed already. Looks very impressive. :)
Insane homebrew collector.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver
Has thanked: 0

Re: DreamEdge: Chui's EDGE (DOOM) port to Dreamcast

Post by Tyne »

Whoa, that's pretty darn cool! I'm keeping my eye on this one, also which mod was he playing?

Edit: Oh, FREEDoom. I should read more carefully =)
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
linlinlol
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by linlinlol »

Stop, this isn't the place for that type of discussion.

- Edited out by Tyne
DOODOO
Christuserloeser

WTF are you talking about ?! :lol:
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

Doom ports were my most favorite of all DC homebrew for a long time. I played though all of the original doom on nxdoom. Loved it.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Nico0020 wrote:Doom ports were my most favorite of all DC homebrew for a long time. I played though all of the original doom on nxdoom. Loved it.
So did I. I also got that Wolfenstein: Artic Wolf addon working, man that was a good doom mod.
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

Tyne wrote:
Nico0020 wrote:Doom ports were my most favorite of all DC homebrew for a long time. I played though all of the original doom on nxdoom. Loved it.
So did I. I also got that Wolfenstein: Artic Wolf addon working, man that was a good doom mod.
How did you get it working? We Should makea collection of the best mods for nxdoom.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Agreed, the best mods nxDoom disc compilation would be awesome.

I forget now, I'll have to drag the CD out sometime and check. Pretty sure I just ran it like a regular Doom mod -file blah.wad -deh whatever.deh; I'll check it out soon, kinda busy lately. =P
Christuserloeser

I would love to have some more music wads. I got a pretty darn good collection I compiled a while back but it's pretty limited in the music I used.

Would be fantastic to have the OSTs from the console ports as alternate BGM.
Corbin
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Corbin »

We will let you know more in-depth about this project after Christmas, after we get content together on our side.

It's actually a game developed in tandem for PC, while DCEdge will not be released publicly, our project will. Once we get stuff collected we'll post more details. Right now we're just tweaking DCEdge for the project, once our main server comes back online we'll launch our site for it as well. Want to give you guys the full scoop, we hate tidbits. Unless you guys asked for them (hint, your IRC channel is a good start). It's a pretty exciting project, been hard for Chui and myself to keep hidden. :)

While, I should note, it is based upon the Doom engine, it plays nothing like it.

In short, if you are confused, DCEdge is the engine the Dreamcast title is running on, because it shares the similar engine for PC as well. Dreamplaces is much the same way.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

You realize EDGE is GPL so releasing the source code is something you're going to have to do, right?
Christuserloeser

Yeah, the GPL needs to be respected. - I mean: Where would we be without it ? Still; you need to release the source for the engine but from what I understand you can keep the actual game with its maps, graphics, sounds and music closed-source. A commercial release won't be affected by the GPL nor by the release of the engine's source code: People that would work with your source code aren't the same ones that will buy the game.
Corbin wrote:It's actually a game developed in tandem for PC, while DCEdge will not be released publicly, our project will. Once we get stuff collected we'll post more details.
That's very interesting news - I am looking forward to your official announcement :D
Corbin wrote:In short, if you are confused, DCEdge is the engine the Dreamcast title is running on, because it shares the similar engine for PC as well. Dreamplaces is much the same way.
...so DreamPlaces will be used in another project ?
Corbin
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Corbin »

Dreamplaces is a code-name for the Dreamcast version. The PC version of the title that's going to use it is a branch-off of Darkplaces, so the official name for the DC version is undecided. The PC version goes under the name Splatter Engine. The PC version of the game is called Psykotik.

For Fusion, we're utilizing the codebase already formed from EDGE. We will release the source, but it won't be called DCEdge and the executable, etc. will not be released. It's a straight PC-DC port, and the DC version also works under Windows with the normal 1.29 EDGE executable, therefore, if needed, we will provide the sources, but they will be identical to what you see in the 1.29 source. How we compile it is a different story.

Information for Fusion was already released on another forum (the PC version) but until our server comes back online, we will refrain from talking about it. We also want to give a proper trailer, not a teaser like we did back in October. In short, we want a lot of stuff to show off.

The game will be freeware, like the PC version, and eventually will not need Doom to run.
Corbin
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Corbin »

Just wanted to post some quick screenshots:

I'll start a new thread soon.
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

Any updates on these various engines?
Christuserloeser

Yeah, Chui released demos of both DreamEdge and DreamPlaces yesterday:
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=96302

Those screenshots look fantastic, Corbin.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

I don't think you're allowed to use the '3dfx' name dude.
Christuserloeser

Tyne's right, it could get you into some legal trouble: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3dfx
It was headquartered in San Jose, California until, on the verge of bankruptcy, many of its intellectual assets (and many employees) were acquired by its rival, Nvidia Corporation.
- Maybe if you change the name from "3dfx development" to something like "3dfxdev" or similar ?
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

Wow what a day!
Corbin
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Corbin »

Has nothing to do with 3dfx Development. We've been using that name for the last couple of years now.

Anyways, DreamEdge was developed with the 1.29 codebase, and I've had to do concurrent development with the PC assets, which are at 1.31. Means that I have to find interesting workarounds for the 1.29 code (models, etc). Good news is that Fusion is running nearly full-speed with a lot of sound swapping. The Dynamic Lights work differently in 1.29 vs 1.31 so it's not as good as the DC version but I still have yet to fix slowdown associated with tons of them in one area. Fusion has horrible load times right now on the DC (5+ minutes just for the main game).

I'm not doing any workarounds for the Doom WAD for the DC release so you will have to have a Freedom or Doom data file. The way I wrote Iris Loader was to generate a dummy file with everything the Doom wad had without actually having the Wad (colourmap, etc). I'm not porting that to the Dreamcast. :/

Yeah, thanks, I like the shots too.