Overdue movie fee

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
DuffMan
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Overdue movie fee

Post by DuffMan »

So here is the story. I rented a movie from Hollywood Video, I move out of my house later that week and completely forget about returning the movie. I got letters in the mail, but I never got them because they were sent to the wrong house. The late fee is now at 50$. I return the movie thinking that they would stop sending letters and now the worst they would do is cancel my account so I can not rent movies from them anymore until the fee is paid. That was over a month ago they are still calling and send letters in the mail.

What can I do??? There is no way in hell I'm paying 50$ for the Pick of Destiny, I love the D but not for 50$.
OOH! YA! Duffman Says a lot of things.
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Re: Overdue movie fee

Post by APE »

I'd tell them you turned it in and they're just trying to shaft you out of money, unless you've admitted to them you still have it in which case you argue that $50 is extortion.
A few fries short of a happy meal.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

APE wrote:I'd tell them you turned it in and they're just trying to shaft you out of money, unless you've admitted to them you still have it in which case you argue that $50 is extortion.
Actually movie rental places pay several times more than you pay for movies for the license to rent them out.
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

butters wrote:
APE wrote:I'd tell them you turned it in and they're just trying to shaft you out of money, unless you've admitted to them you still have it in which case you argue that $50 is extortion.
Actually movie rental places pay several times more than you pay for movies for the license to rent them out.
Well yeh but how many times have they pimped that movie out for $5 a pop in it's life time?
A few fries short of a happy meal.
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster

Post by jaredfogle »

This happened to me at Blockbuster once. They sent threatening letters about calling my credit agency. I returned to movie and they sent a letter that said they still were reporting the late fees but not the movie itself.

I'll be goddamned if I pay $50 in late fees.

So now I don't use Blockbuster anymore. I don't know my credit score, but my lease on my house and my bank account are both fine.

I wouldn't fret over it.
Where's toastman? I'm bored.
DuffMan
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DuffMan »

jaredfogle wrote:This happened to me at Blockbuster once. They sent threatening letters about calling my credit agency. I returned to movie and they sent a letter that said they still were reporting the late fees but not the movie itself.

I'll be goddamned if I pay $50 in late fees.

So now I don't use Blockbuster anymore. I don't know my credit score, but my lease on my house and my bank account are both fine.

I wouldn't fret over it.
Ya, they keep sending me letters saying that if I don't pay then they will it to the credit agency. Fuckers. $50!!!!!
arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by arrowhead »

Worst case is probably that they send it to collections, then instead of letters you will get phone calls.

What happened to "no late fees" at blockbuster?

Netflix everyone, it kicks ass.
Shut that cunts mouth before I come over there and fuck start her head
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by JuddWack »

There were several instances during my short time at blockbuster when I worked there where I actually found movies in obscure places, checked there check in status and noticed that people were being billed for overdue rates. Movies do get lost in stores. I would deny, deny, deny but mostly ignore.

Alternatively you could call or write the store manage and explain to them that you are a good customer and your whole moving situation. Give him 2 options and let him choose. Tell him you would gladly send the fee for one late day and mail the movie back to the store or you would pay the fee but Hollywood Video will loose your business. It is a simple click of a button at Blockbuster's to waive a late fee. At the store I worked at it was used frequently when people said they would take their business to Hollywood Video.
Egotistical EvilN
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Egotistical EvilN »

arrowhead wrote:What happened to "no late fees" at blockbuster?

Say you rent a 7 day rental. You actually get a 14 day rental. On day 15, your card is charged for the cost of the movie. Return it to the store, they return the cost, minus $2.00 restocking.

Unless they're a franchised store, then you're screwed.
DuffMan
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DuffMan »

Very stupid. The good thing about Hollywood, is that they do no require a credit card to get an account. Atleast they didn't when I got mine, probably about 10 years ago. So they can't charge me directly. Like Blockbuster.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

I work a cash register at a Hastings, which is basically a bigger version of Hollywood Video and Blockbuster. We run into this situation with customers everyday. Unless the policies are different, you should just try calling and speaking to the manager and telling them you returned it. They can check your account for the movie, and if they say it's still out, they're either lying or forgot to check it back in.

Either way, even if they cancel your account, if you go up there in person with the letter and tell them you returned it, they'll usually give in. And after a year of having the late fees, they'll delete it (or at least that's how Hastings works, you're not forced to pay late fees for anything over a year old no matter how big the charge is).

Video rental stores looooove their regular customers. Don't believe the threats, just go up there and bitch saying you want it fixed so you can rent more, and chances are they'll work with you, maybe even delete the late fee if you come up with a good excuse as to why it wasn't turned in (i.e. you turned it in and it got stolen or something).
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

I talked to a guy that ran a local video shop. This was several years ago (back when DVD's was just starting to get popular). Anyways he said it cost him $20 for DVD movies and $40 for VHS. OF course now he is out of business as with all the mom and pop video stores thanks to Blockbuster.

In any case $50 sounds ridiculous though, however you was in the wrong and they can charge whatever they want I suppose.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster

Post by jaredfogle »

Bittorrent is even better.
arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by arrowhead »

jaredfogle wrote:
I guess, if your a 13 year old with no job, or an adult loser with no job that likes to steal.
Shut that cunts mouth before I come over there and fuck start her head
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

butters wrote:Actually movie rental places pay several times more than you pay for movies for the license to rent them out.
As far as I know, a license from the copyright holder is not required in order to rent movies in the United States (first sale doctrine). Of course, the rental stores may still enter into agreements with distributors for other reasons (e.g. guaranteed allocation, early access) that place other restrictions upon them than those arising from copyright law.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster

Post by jaredfogle »

arrowhead wrote:
jaredfogle wrote:
I guess, if your a 13 year old with no job, or an adult loser with no job that likes to steal.
Yes, either of those could reap the network's benefits.

As can employed, artist-supporting individuals such as my self.

Also, you're. You're. You are.
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

The video companies sell off your debt to them to a few collections companies. But because of kickbacks and such they don't really do anything other than send threatning letters. You're fine.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

Veggita2099 wrote:OF course now he is out of business as with all the mom and pop video stores thanks to Blockbuster.
Nope, Mike and Ted's Excellent Video Adventures around here. Yes that's really what it is called. :mrgreen:
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

DuffMan wrote:Very stupid. The good thing about Hollywood, is that they do no require a credit card to get an account. Atleast they didn't when I got mine, probably about 10 years ago. So they can't charge me directly. Like Blockbuster.
I got an account at Hollywood video this summer, no credit card needed.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

As far as I know, a license from the copyright holder is not required in order to rent movies in the United States (first sale doctrine). Of course, the rental stores may still enter into agreements with distributors for other reasons (e.g. guaranteed allocation, early access) that place other restrictions upon them than those arising from copyright law.
[/quote]

This is generally the case as far as I can tell. This is why mom and pop chains get rentals in later, as they refuse to pay the inflated prices.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.