Metroid Prime 3

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Metroid Prime 3

Post by Lartrak »

Believe it or not, today is the ship date for Metroid Prime 3. Some stores definitely had it, though of course most won't have it til tomorrow.

I'm pretty excited about it. I actually reserved it, which is extremely rare for me. Mostly because I got an extra $3 in trade-in credit by doing it.

I did get a chance to play a demo unit of it. It looks great (easily the best for Wii), and the controls felt great even in the limited time I had to play it on a crappy demo Wii. Those looking for more traditional controls may be happy with the controls this time. There is still lock-on, the default is lock-on plus free aiming, where you lock on then move the reticle freely. I didn't get too far in the demo, as it has the long intro a lot of games have.

Oh yeah, and there's voice acting now, which is actually quite good.

Anyone else care?
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
RMD
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Re: Metroid Prime 3

Post by RMD »

Pretty sure almost all gamestops have the full game in and not just the demo as it features saving.
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

Yes I checked Walmarts in 2 towns and neither had this game, both had the players guide though :x . It should definitly be in tomorow morning if not after school.

I gotta say I can not really believe I want this game and am excited for it. I hated Metroid Prime 1, never played 2, loved the ds version. My enjoyment of the ds version combined with me wanting a new wii game has be going for it.

I also saw a sweet spiderball video that got me hooked.
Vlad Tepes
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Vlad Tepes »

I spent a couple of hours at work tonight watching gameplay videos. I will definitely be picking this up when I get paid Friday. :D
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Not out for another two months over here. I don't know why - it's not like we speak different languages or anything.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Then why do American shows that have Aussies in them sometimes have subtitles? :lol:

But it is ridiculous. I'd really love to give this game a go. :(
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Europe uses PAL
Australia uses PAL
Therefore Australia is in Europe.
In Europe they speak languages like French, German, and Spanish
Therefore in Australia they speak languages like French, German, and Spanish

So you have to wait for it to be translated. This logic is flawless and has been used for decades.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

I'll probably be picking this up next week. I've been waiting for it eagerly since launch, but unfortunately my Wii is in the shop this week. Something went wrong with my last firmware update, and the Shop and Internet channels don't work any more.
royhubbs
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by royhubbs »

I hopefully will be picking it up later today, along with trading some games but its been awhile since Ive been excited about a Wii game.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Hasney wrote:
BoneyCork wrote:Europe uses PAL
Australia uses PAL
Therefore Australia is in Europe.
In Europe they speak languages like French, German, and Spanish
Therefore in Australia they speak languages like French, German, and Spanish

So you have to wait for it to be translated. This logic is flawless and has been used for decades.
The USA version HAS German, Spanish, Italian AND French options so I don't know what excuse Nintendo has.

Anyways, my import should be here the start of next week :D
It takes a lot of work to add black borders and make it run at the wrong speed ;)
TyBO
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by TyBO »

I made it all the way to the end of the first Metroid Prime, but never finished. I own MP2: Echoes, but haven't opened it.

I guess I have some work to do before buying MP3.
popley
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by popley »

Does it have any online functions?
"It's only after we've lost everything, that we are truly free to do anything." Fight Club

http://www.geocities.com/nesterdcgamecodes
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

TyBo - you could just be like me, and play a few hours of MP2, get disappointed, and never play it again. I hated the light/dark stuff, I don't like the concept in any game really (probably part of the reason I gave up on Twilight Princess, despite playing it for over 15 hours). There's not a whole lot of storyline stuff from the second game that comes up in 3 anyway.

Ok, I got MP3 today. I've played it about 90 minutes so far, but at this point the game is virtually flawless. The controls, on my setup, are fantastic - the best console FPS controls I have ever used. The voice work is actually really good. The art design is great. The graphics are great. No, they're not super complex, but the game runs at a rock solid 60 FPS and the lighting effects are great.

Everything is just really satisfying so far - oh yeah, and it is true, no depowering in this game. You start out with double jump, charge beam, morph ball and morph bombs - and you get a couple of upgrades pretty early. I must say the motion control for the grapple beam is extremely good. It's one of the occasional times I've felt Wii motions actually feel flat out BETTER than a button/joystick motion could have.

Oh yeah, and it is nice to get a few moments of Samus being badass, as always. So are the other hunters in the game, point in fact. The cutscene direction is generally also very good. Not the best ever, but quite solid.

As usual, the lore and other scan stuff is well-written and quite interesting.

Oh, and there is an Achievement-esque system in play now. Every few dozen scans you get a point thing, as well as after beating some bosses and doing other misc. things like killing 100 and 200 enemies. Then you can buy unlockables with them. I'm hoping there will be another emulated game unlockable, Metroid 2 specifically, but I'm not holding my breath on that one...

All told, the game is shaping up to be my favorite console game of the past couple years. Hopefully it will stay this good for the entire 17-18 hour run time (everyone says 20, but apparently in MP games, I'm just really fast or something, cause I seem to clock in the mid to high teens).

My one con, if I must mention it, is I feel breaks are more warranted in Wii-pointer games than in dual analog games. It's more intense and somewhat more stressful, since you have to keep your hand in a relatively locked position most of the time. This didn't stop me from 3-4 hour sessions in CoD3 on the Wii, I just took short breaks every 90 minutes or so.

Oh - and there is an online aspect, but not online play. You do something where you trade something or other online with friend codes to unlock some more unlockables, if memory serves. There's also a picture taking feature you unlock, and you can send the pictures to other Wii users.
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

Ugh, couldnt find the game again today. It better be in tomorow or Wal mart will feel my wrath.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

Lartrak wrote: All told, the game is shaping up to be my favorite console game of the past couple years. Hopefully it will stay this good for the entire 17-18 hour run time (everyone says 20, but apparently in MP games, I'm just really fast or something, cause I seem to clock in the mid to high teens).
I spend about that much time wandering around lost :lol:
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Looks like I will be getting this game as a rental. Odd thing is Gamefly for some reason sent me 2 games this month. I only pay for the 1 game plan but I got Spiderman 3 and MP 3 in the mail. Gonna give it a shot, hopefully its a lot better then the first one. Sounds like control wise it will be a improvement.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Veggita2099 wrote:Looks like I will be getting this game as a rental. Odd thing is Gamefly for some reason sent me 2 games this month. I only pay for the 1 game plan but I got Spiderman 3 and MP 3 in the mail. Gonna give it a shot, hopefully its a lot better then the first one. Sounds like control wise it will be a improvement.
I'd guess you'll at least like it more than the original. The game is definitely more open to people not familiar with the series than MP1 and 2 were. The backtracking is also a bit easier to understand.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

There was really only 2 major things that turned me away from the first one. The first was obviously the controls. The 2nd was the way enemies took forever to kill and the way they respawned as soon as you exited the room. I know all Metroid Games in the past had enemies respawn the moment you left the room, however even the hardest ones in the game (minus a boss of course) generally took no more then 10 to 15 seconds to kill. It was annoying trying to figure out where to go next and every time you would walk into a room have to spend 5 minutes fighting enemies that took 50 to 100 shots to kill.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Veggita2099 wrote:There was really only 2 major things that turned me away from the first one. The first was obviously the controls. The 2nd was the way enemies took forever to kill and the way they respawned as soon as you exited the room. I know all Metroid Games in the past had enemies respawn the moment you left the room, however even the hardest ones in the game (minus a boss of course) generally took no more then 10 to 15 seconds to kill. It was annoying trying to figure out where to go next and every time you would walk into a room have to spend 5 minutes fighting enemies that took 50 to 100 shots to kill.
You're talking about stuff like space pirates and the Chozo ghosts (the Chozo ghosts and the ending Metroid respawning points were the only enemies that bugged me), right? Inicidentally, I haven't seen any respawning enemies that take more than 5 or 6 hits at this point, and all of them so far are easy to skip. But I'm just under 3 hours at this point, so who knows... However, there have been a number of space pirate encounters, and none of them respawn.

One annoying thing - I had to check a post on how to do something already, since I was stuck in an area and hadn't saved in over an hour and had to go to class (which today lasts until 10 PM, on a break now). And the thing I missed was a simple bomb point. Annoyed I had to do it. Lesson learned is don't wait until 10 minutes before you have to leave to save.
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

Ugh, walked into Walmart this morning and saw a person buy the last copy of this game. Next shipment better come fast.