Assuming it exsisted would you buy it "VMU2"

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Assuming it exsisted would you buy it "VMU2"

Post by cube_b3 »

Well the dreamcast controller with the vmu slot for the Wii.

Maybe if the fans can't get Dreamcast 2, they could get VMU2
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
Has thanked: 0

Re: Assuming it exsisted would you buy it "VMU2"

Post by melancholy »

Er, what? Do you mean a VMU for the Wii (maybe plug into the bottom of the Wii controller), or do you actually mean a Dreamcast controller for the Wii? Your post confuses me.

If you mean a Wii VMU, then yeah, that might be cool depending on what games are compatible with it. The concept of the VMU was always a good one and I would love to see a continuation of that for the Wii, especially if it meant a screen that plugs into the bottom of the Wii remote. I could think of a number of uses that would make such a device cool to have. But, as I said, it would depend on game support.

However, if you simply mean a Dreamcast controller for Wii, then why? It would serve no purpose since the Wii already has Gamecube controller support and a specially built classic controller. Even if it offered a VMU solution through the Dreamcast controller, I still do not see why anyone would want it.
Eckostyle
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster
Been thanked: 0

Post by Eckostyle »

Why get a DC controller for the Wii, when the classic controller and a GC controller work just fine?

Even with a VMU solution, I doubt anyone would want it.
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

BILAL_XIA wrote:Well the dreamcast controller with the vmu slot for the Wii.

Maybe if the fans can't get Dreamcast 2, they could get VMU2
Based on that post, no I would not buy it.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

...why the hell would anyone buy this?
It's thinking...
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

I'd buy it for the ps3
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

melancholy wrote:The concept of the VMU was always a good one and I would love to see a continuation of that for the Wii, especially if it meant a screen that plugs into the bottom of the Wii remote. I could think of a number of uses that would make such a device cool to have.
The VMU is good in theory, but it doesn't work in practice. First, many developers never went beyond displaying the game's logo on it because it didn't come bundled with the console - since a large number of DC owners only gets cheap memory cards with no LCD screen, any usage of the LCD screen must be completely optional.

Second, it's not as practical as we would expect. It's useless if you want to play a game in the dark, because its screen is not lit. And it's awkward to place the status bars or other important information in it because to look at it you must look down at your hands and stop looking at the TV screen, which would be very dangerous to your character because you aren't aware of the events happening in the TV screen. You would miss the turn, fall in holes, get hit, and so on.

RE: CODE Veronica displays the health on the VMU, but I never used this feature because pressing B to display the inventory screen on the TV was more practical - the game is paused while the inventory screen is displayed.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

Manoel wrote:
melancholy wrote:The concept of the VMU was always a good one and I would love to see a continuation of that for the Wii, especially if it meant a screen that plugs into the bottom of the Wii remote. I could think of a number of uses that would make such a device cool to have.
The VMU is good in theory, but it doesn't work in practice. First, many developers never went beyond displaying the game's logo on it because it didn't come bundled with the console - since a large number of DC owners only gets cheap memory cards with no LCD screen, any usage of the LCD screen must be completely optional.

Second, it's not as practical as we would expect. It's useless if you want to play a game in the dark, because its screen is not lit. And it's awkward to place the status bars or other important information in it because to look at it you must look down at your hands and stop looking at the TV screen, which would be very dangerous to your character because you aren't aware of the events happening in the TV screen. You would miss the turn, fall in holes, get hit, and so on.

RE: CODE Veronica displays the health on the VMU, but I never used this feature because pressing B to display the inventory screen on the TV was more practical - the game is paused while the inventory screen is displayed.
Also in Ready to Rumble Boxing it told your health and how many punches thrown/landed I think.
Morphv2
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Morphv2 »

If it could interface with my Betamax2 machines thru SATA, I'd get it.
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

Morphv2 wrote:If it could interface with my Betamax2 machines thru SATA, I'd get it.
Sounds just as useful as the first post in this thread (which I still don't really understand) :?
HomerCIDAL
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by HomerCIDAL »

I probably wouldn't buy it either. I never got much use out of the original VMU's.