bsnes achieves 100% compatiblity.

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
TyBO
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

bsnes achieves 100% compatiblity.

Post by TyBO »

I'm sure Hawq will cover this in his emulation thread, but I thought the news was also worthy of it's own thread.
Today marks a milestone for bsnes, and possibly for SNES emulation as a whole. With this new release, bsnes' compatibility has now reached 100.0%, with zero game-specific hacks. With every last commercially released game tested by both FitzRoy and tetsuo55 for at least five minutes each, all known bugs have been resolved.

Now, needless to say, I am referring to the emulation of the base SNES unit. As many SNES cartridges contain additional coprocessors on their PCBs, there are still unplayable titles. So how can I claim compatibility of 100%? Because I don't consider special chips inside game cartridges as part of the base SNES hardware. I realize that many people enjoy these games, and I do actively attempt to emulate as many coprocessors as possible (six are supported thus far). However, coprocessors such as the SuperFX and SA-1 continue to pose very significant challenges.
Full Story: http://www.emulation64.com/view/1375/bs ... -Released/

You need fairly good specs to run bsnes at reasonable speeds (Minimum: 2.0GHz processor) but it's still a remarkable achievement as there is no other SNES emulator like it. Maybe one day it will be optimized and full-speed on our beloved Dreamcast! :lol:
(I doubt it, but one can hope, right?)
neoak
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Re: bsnes achieves 100% compatiblity.

Post by neoak »

edit: Its C++.

A XNA 360 port would be nice, but because its C++, then thats XNA Professional :cry:
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

Ive always thought there was 100% compatibility for a lot of snes emulators. I have never run into any problems with the 2 snes emulators I have used on my pc (zsnes and sne9x not sure how you spell it). And its not like I have some high end pc either.
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

ZSNES does everything I've ever thrown at it but I believe they still use some hacks for that.
A few fries short of a happy meal.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

mrandyk wrote:Ive always thought there was 100% compatibility for a lot of snes emulators. I have never run into any problems with the 2 snes emulators I have used on my pc (zsnes and sne9x not sure how you spell it). And its not like I have some high end pc either.
ZSNES and Snes9x have had 99%+ for quite a while, but I'm not sure whether either of them quite got to 100% (it definitely wasn't 100% 5 or 6 years ago). From a coding standpoint, the bigger issue is that bsnes is doing it without game-specific hacks, meaning that they work because the emulated behavior is actually accurate. Snes9x and ZSNES have a long history of using compatibility hacks, and of course even those have fallen short of 100% much of the time.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
RMD
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by RMD »

Zsnes still plays more games than bsnes however it doesnt accuratly emulate some of the games it plays and instead uses work arounds for it. Same with snes9x. So in other words you would never notice the difference and this isnt a really a big deal. Snes9x & zsnes play more games.
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

ISS Deluxe plays just like the real thing in bsnes.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Clayfighter 2 hangs in ZSNES after the first round, and the transparencies in Kirby's Dream Land 3 were messed up in its later versions.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
TyBO
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by TyBO »

mrandyk wrote:Ive always thought there was 100% compatibility for a lot of snes emulators. I have never run into any problems with the 2 snes emulators I have used on my pc (zsnes and sne9x not sure how you spell it). And its not like I have some high end pc either.
ZSNES and Snes9x are great emulators, but they have game-specific hacks that fix glitches for one specific game. bsnes doesn't need any hacks because it emulates the SNES hardware with (supposedly) 100% accuracy.
arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by arrowhead »

bsnes runs slow and buggy for me, and I am well above the minimum requirements.
Shut that cunts mouth before I come over there and fuck start her head
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

arrowhead wrote:bsnes runs slow and buggy for me, and I am well above the minimum requirements.
It's a proof of concept, not something you'd want to run everyday.