New PC advice

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Vlad Tepes
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New PC advice

Post by Vlad Tepes »

I'm looking at building a new PC for under $1k. I put together a machine at newegg. Give me some advice...what sucks? What doesn't? Any input will be appreciated.

Clicky clicky
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Re: New PC advice

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Nothing really jumps out at me as being a problem. It's not the machine I would build, but I'm not into PC gaming. )()(
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
mariobro
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mariobro »

Well, those LG DVD burners are really nice. I just upgraded from a 1st gen. DVD burner to one of those, and it works like a charm. They're really fast, and moderately silent.
"Until I finally made it, life was kinda hit or miss...
And I'd love to talk philosophy, but I gotta take a piss"
-David Lee Roth
FETUS
Knight of Null
Knight of Null

Post by FETUS »

Also check out and see if you can match specs from one of the big box's (dell gateway acer) and see if you can get a better price that way(also includes legal software). They've been doin a lot to catch up to build your own option.
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

Vlad Tepes wrote:I'm looking at building a new PC for under $1k. I put together a machine at newegg. Give me some advice...what sucks? What doesn't? Any input will be appreciated.

Clicky clicky
bah, i was about to suggest going intel, but newegg seems to think an e6750, MSRP at $183 is worth $220

anyway, if you could stand to wait a few weeks, the e6750 will be an awesome deal, pair it up with a P5K mobo and watch it rocket off

my point, AMD has some nice CPU's, but in the high end their cpu's suck almost twice as much power, overclock poorly, and perform poorly per clock as well. an e6750 Vs a 6000+ both stock is no contest, and the C2D will overclock miles better

stupid though that newegg is price-gouging the C2Ds right now
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
Vlad Tepes
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Vlad Tepes »

Disheveled DrFreeze wrote:
Vlad Tepes wrote:I'm looking at building a new PC for under $1k. I put together a machine at newegg. Give me some advice...what sucks? What doesn't? Any input will be appreciated.

Clicky clicky
bah, i was about to suggest going intel, but newegg seems to think an e6750, MSRP at $183 is worth $220

anyway, if you could stand to wait a few weeks, the e6750 will be an awesome deal, pair it up with a P5K mobo and watch it rocket off

my point, AMD has some nice CPU's, but in the high end their cpu's suck almost twice as much power, overclock poorly, and perform poorly per clock as well. an e6750 Vs a 6000+ both stock is no contest, and the C2D will overclock miles better

Very interesting. I've been out of the hardware loop for some time, so I'm pretty oblivious to all the options out there. I'm planning on buying a machine in the next month or two, so I'm willing to wait for a bit to see if prices drop.
ASCIIN
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by ASCIIN »

Disheveled DrFreeze wrote:

Clicky clicky

I think your getting the x2's confused with the Pentium D line dual cores when it comes to power usage and also if you want to overclock you should invest in the FX line (which it is designed for)
<WiLdSeXyPrInCeSs> i luv guyz where would they be wifout us gals???
<XeNoX> Still in the Garden Of Eden you gullible bitch.
Cid Highwind
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Cid Highwind »

From what I know the x2 6000+ is about on par with the e6600 from intel. They draw less power when idle, but at full load they prefer a bit more than Intel, so it's pretty much a tie there as well, seeing how most of the time your PC will be idle anyway.

You first have to ask yourself what you want to do with your pc. Is it for office purposes, heavy encoding or rendering, or gaming?

Also, do you want to overclock, or are you the person who keeps his PC at stock speeds?

If you want to tweak around to get the best performance, you should get a C2D because they overclock like mad and that's where it makes the X2 bite the dust. Leaving it at stock speeds, unless you want something more powerful than the e6600, AMD has the better price/performance ratio, unless something has changed in the last month. Don't be blinded by C2D, it's overclocking where it shines, but otherwise the X2 keeps up easily.

As for a videocard, I think it's a bad moment to purchase one in the first place. There's no DX10 content, and the DX10 features some games have are shabby to say the least. There's no visual improvement, just a lower framerate. So far DX10 is a hype and nothing more, all those midrange cards won't be able to pull off the flashy, DX10 only stuff anyway, so the X1950XT will be a good pick as well.
You feel at ease as you flock with the masses,
What do you see with your heads in their asses?
Keep on railing at what I believe,
Call me insane and I am proud to be.

--Edguy - King of Fools--

My blog
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

Dont buy that hard drive. I bought the exact same one and its a hunk of shit. I installed it in my imac and it overheats and lags my system.