Cat Can Predict Death

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
S. Thompson
The Fuzmeister
The Fuzmeister
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Cat Can Predict Death

Post by S. Thompson »

http://abcnews.go.com/US/WireStory?id=3414517 wrote:Oscar the cat seems to have an uncanny knack for predicting when nursing home patients are going to die, by curling up next to them during their final hours. His accuracy, observed in 25 cases, has led the staff to call family members once he has chosen someone. It usually means they have less than four hours to live.

"He doesn't make too many mistakes. He seems to understand when patients are about to die," said Dr. David Dosa in an interview. He describes the phenomenon in a poignant essay in Thursday's issue of the New England Journal of Medicine.

"Many family members take some solace from it. They appreciate the companionship that the cat provides for their dying loved one," said Dosa, a geriatrician and assistant professor of medicine at Brown University.

The 2-year-old feline was adopted as a kitten and grew up in a third-floor dementia unit at the Steere House Nursing and Rehabilitation Center. The facility treats people with Alzheimer's, Parkinson's disease and other illnesses.

After about six months, the staff noticed Oscar would make his own rounds, just like the doctors and nurses. He'd sniff and observe patients, then sit beside people who would wind up dying in a few hours.

Dosa said Oscar seems to take his work seriously and is generally aloof. "This is not a cat that's friendly to people," he said.

Oscar is better at predicting death than the people who work there, said Dr. Joan Teno of Brown University, who treats patients at the nursing home and is an expert on care for the terminally ill

She was convinced of Oscar's talent when he made his 13th correct call. While observing one patient, Teno said she noticed the woman wasn't eating, was breathing with difficulty and that her legs had a bluish tinge, signs that often mean death is near.

Oscar wouldn't stay inside the room though, so Teno thought his streak was broken. Instead, it turned out the doctor's prediction was roughly 10 hours too early. Sure enough, during the patient's final two hours, nurses told Teno that Oscar joined the woman at her bedside.

Doctors say most of the people who get a visit from the sweet-faced, gray-and-white cat are so ill they probably don't know he's there, so patients aren't aware he's a harbinger of death. Most families are grateful for the advanced warning, although one wanted Oscar out of the room while a family member died. When Oscar is put outside, he paces and meows his displeasure.

No one's certain if Oscar's behavior is scientifically significant or points to a cause. Teno wonders if the cat notices telltale scents or reads something into the behavior of the nurses who raised him.

Nicholas Dodman, who directs an animal behavioral clinic at the Tufts University Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine and has read Dosa's article, said the only way to know is to carefully document how Oscar divides his time between the living and dying.

If Oscar really is a furry grim reaper, it's also possible his behavior could be driven by self-centered pleasures like a heated blanket placed on a dying person, Dodman said.

Nursing home staffers aren't concerned with explaining Oscar, so long as he gives families a better chance at saying goodbye to the dying.

Oscar recently received a wall plaque publicly commending his "compassionate hospice care."

Science writer Alicia Chang in Los Angeles contributed to this report.

On the Net:

New England Journal of Medicine: http://content.nejm.org/
BS or kitty premonition powers? :o

- Fuzmeister
AgentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen

Re: Cat Can Predict Death

Post by AgentGreen »

My mom was telling me about this cat the other day.

The amount of high fantasy and horror movies bombarded on my brain since I was a kid tells me he eats the souls as soon as they die! OOOOOOOOOOHHH! :twisted:

But seriously, animals are far more in tune with signs of life and death than humans and I think it's because humans have a more inactive survival instinct than creatures through generations of comfortable living. It's been culturally, and possibly genetically to a certain degree (but then again I'm no geneticist), bred out of us.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

AgentGreen wrote:My mom was telling me about this cat the other day.

The amount of high fantasy and horror movies bombarded on my brain since I was a kid tells me he eats the souls as soon as they die! OOOOOOOOOOHHH! :twisted:

But seriously, animals are far more in tune with signs of life and death than humans and I think it's because humans have a more inactive survival instinct than creatures through generations of comfortable living. It's been culturally, and possibly genetically to a certain degree (but then again I'm no geneticist), bred out of us.
Genetically - no. Culturally - quite possible. I would hazard a guess and say a lot of is due to a cat's superior senses, however.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

Some dogs can tell when someone is about to have a seizure come on, I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't something we gave off as we approached death that the cat has tuned in on.
A few fries short of a happy meal.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Before I even know I am sick my cat starts doing things like that. I have no doubt that its true.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
Egotistical EvilN
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Egotistical EvilN »

Just keep the grim kitty away from me.
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

I have a theory. The cat is always right because it is killing the patients.
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

everyone in a nursing home is about to die. Lets see the cat pick a 20 yo who is on deaths door.
I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel »

This is possible and this happened in the past more often than the article suggets. If you care to search, you will find a somewhat substantial record of cats living in nursing homes that will accompany people close to death, and stay with them until they die.

I mean, shit. cats know when THEY themselves are gonna die, and they dont have large brains. Cats will almost always seek out solitude when they are in their dying throes. I assume that VERY FEW cat owners have actually witnessed their cats die, unless it was a freak seizure or something.
:arrow: http://tofuheavyindustries.com
Mac Dream Tool / Mac Dream Tool Services (released Sept. 2019)
Creator of Various awesome Video Games

"You don't have to be forgiven. Clint Eastwood taught us that."
Egotistical EvilN
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Egotistical EvilN »

Most animals do, even our horses did.

One died of a heart attack, and she stayed near the house which was unusual. The second had cancer, but was put down (Please, if your animal gets cancer, don't let them live when it gets unbearable. Just because they CAN live, doesn't mean they SHOULD live. I could describe what all she went through, but "real zombie" are the best words.) The third actually ran off and we had to walk her back for 4 miles because of how far she went. We didn't know what had happened, and she went wild in the barn trying to get away.
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Code-Red »

I.M. Weasel wrote:This is possible and this happened in the past more often than the article suggets. If you care to search, you will find a somewhat substantial record of cats living in nursing homes that will accompany people close to death, and stay with them until they die.

I mean, shit. cats know when THEY themselves are gonna die, and they dont have large brains. Cats will almost always seek out solitude when they are in their dying throes. I assume that VERY FEW cat owners have actually witnessed their cats die, unless it was a freak seizure or something.
This man is correct. My buddies cat went missing a number of years ago, and I told him "You know cats go OFF to die right? They go to a corner or secluded place.". Sure enough, they started smelling something under their patio a couple days later, so they checked it out, and there was Sinister curled up by the basement window dead.
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

When I realize I am going to die I am going to do it in a very crowded place, suckers. Im thinking Times Square.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Code-Red wrote:
I.M. Weasel wrote:This is possible and this happened in the past more often than the article suggets. If you care to search, you will find a somewhat substantial record of cats living in nursing homes that will accompany people close to death, and stay with them until they die.

This man is correct. My buddies cat went missing a number of years ago, and I told him "You know cats go OFF to die right? They go to a corner or secluded place.". Sure enough, they started smelling something under their patio a couple days later, so they checked it out, and there was Sinister curled up by the basement window dead.
To be fair, animals also do this when they're just not feeling well. They hide in a safe place until they start to feel better, because if they're weak predators are much more likely to come after them, and they'll have a hard time getting away. Plus, rest is good for curing illness.

If people did the same thing, you'd find a lot of hidden dead bodies. Instead, people tell everyone and/or go to the hospital.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.