Proposal for a spelling and grammar rule

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Proposal for a spelling and grammar rule

Post by mrandyk »

Ceeg wrote:I didn't realize people cared so greatly about grammar on the internet. :roll:
Sophisticated people do, peasant.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Ceeg wrote:I didn't realize people cared so greatly about grammar on the internet. :roll:
If someone isn't going to put a decent effort into what they're trying to express, why should anyone try to put an effort into deciphering it?
It's thinking...
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

|darc| wrote:
If someone isn't going to put a decent effort into what they're trying to express, why should anyone try to put an effort into deciphering it?
What an ignorant thing to say about language.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Wagh wrote:
|darc| wrote:
I'm not following you.
It's thinking...
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

|darc| wrote:
Wagh wrote:
|darc| wrote:
I'm not following you.

You're going to run into grammatical errors and spelling errors. Not everyone knows everything. This is a good thing though. To me that idea is a little racist and classist. But hey whatever.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Wagh wrote:
|darc| wrote:
Wagh wrote:
|darc| wrote:
I'm not following you.

You're going to run into grammatical errors and spelling errors. Not everyone knows everything. This is a good thing though. To me that idea is a little racist and classist. But hey whatever.
I'll say it again: if someone isn't going to put a decent effort into what they're trying to express, why should anyone try to put an effort into deciphering it?

It doesn't have to look like a term paper, it just has to look presentable. Everyone's brain has a certain amount of error correction, but when I have to reread a post 2 or 3 times to understand what the fuck someone's talking about, then they're telling me that their post probably wasn't worth reading anyway.
It's thinking...
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

The same users post here all the time, what's the point of a rule like this, it's not like the site has huge problems with irritating noob users. Those who post here already generally make some kind of effort to post properly and as long as it's easily understood and doesn't give you a headache to read, who cares about the odd typo here and there?
If there's a particular user who always posts junk, then call them out on it.
Cid Highwind
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Cid Highwind »

melancholy wrote:There are only a handful of posters that such a rule would even affect, and even then those people are typically non-native english speakers. A grammar rule would be more likely to alienate people than to benefit this forum.
From other forums I found it actually pretty ironic that it were mostly members from the US who abused the English language the most. Whereas people from other country actually put effort into writing their best sentences just trying to make it understandable for others.

I don't think something like this should be enforced by closing topics that have an opening post in AOL slang, but it doesn't seem a bad idea to put it in the rules that it'd be appreciated if people write in proper English, rather than "were I get teh DC bi0z l0l?". I'm sure a new member's question will be treated with more respect if it were phrased properly as if he actually cared about getting some help.
You feel at ease as you flock with the masses,
What do you see with your heads in their asses?
Keep on railing at what I believe,
Call me insane and I am proud to be.

--Edguy - King of Fools--

My blog
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

Wagh wrote:
|darc| wrote:
Wagh wrote:
|darc| wrote:
I'm not following you.

There are people who dont know the whole grammatical stuff and make accidents not knowing it, and then there are people who are just flat out lazy and know what they are typing is wrong but just wont go back to correct it because they are that lazy. Or they are too lazy to type out complete words and use those stupid 2-3 letter abbreviations and lots of !!!s.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

|darc| wrote: If someone isn't going to put a decent effort into what they're trying to express, why should anyone try to put an effort into deciphering it?
Exactly. That was the whole point of this. How hard is it to push the shift button? How hard is it to right click on things that are underlined and use a little bit of human logic in the process? I'm not out to get the non native English speakers at all. Crap guys, some of you are acting like I'm asking you to saw your arm off or something like that...
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

butters wrote:Crap guys, some of you are acting like I'm asking you to saw your arm off or something like that...
Some of us would do it if you asked though.
Ceeg
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Ceeg »

Unless your writing a Nobel Peace prize acceptance speech than i really don't care if you use grammar or not. Life's to short to worry about whether or not Joe schmo put an uppercase where it's suppose to be or not.
:|
XtremeWRATH-360 Gamertag
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Expecting me to take your post seriously when you aren't using a decent level of proper spelling and grammar is like expecting me to take a speech seriously when it is being made by a yokel.

If life's too short for you to worry about grammar and spelling, then surely it is too short for me to bother reading your post?

Having said that though I'm set against a spelling and grammar rule. There's nobody here who posts in a way that pisses me off, and because there isn't that extreme I can see the rule being taken way too seriously, with every single typo and grammatical error being flagged up. You've got to leave some room for casual human error.
Joestar
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Joestar »

All butters suggested was to set some basic standards, not to get some grammar nazis to take over this place. :/

I've seen some cases where the punctuation was horrendous (a whole paragraph with no full stops :lol: ), but there's definitely not enough to warrant grammar rules here. I would say the level here is of a high standard compared to the rest of the internet.

And even without the rules, we would naturally go grab our pitchforks and ridicule the next person that uses the wrong there/their/they're.

lol amirite guyz
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Ceeg wrote:Unless your writing a Nobel Peace prize acceptance speech than i really don't care if you use grammar or not. Life's to short to worry about whether or not Joe schmo put an uppercase where it's suppose to be or not.
It's funny because your posts are among some of the worst here.
It's thinking...
Ceeg
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Ceeg »

|darc| wrote:
Ceeg wrote:Unless your writing a Nobel Peace prize acceptance speech than i really don't care if you use grammar or not. Life's to short to worry about whether or not Joe schmo put an uppercase where it's suppose to be or not.

Meh, i really don't care. :lol:
XtremeWRATH-360 Gamertag
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

Ceeg wrote:
|darc| wrote:

I was not going to respond until I saw that post.

If you don't care, why should any other member of the forum bother to read your posts? For that matter, why are you even posting? Would not your time be better spent doing something productive that you actually cared about?
SinisterTengu
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by SinisterTengu »

look guys your being rediculus not every body has time too make sure everything is perfect and spaced all perfect and stuff you know and if you do this then it would just scare off new people and that would be lame and if you have to capitalized every thing and put periods every where then that would be not cool it would be lame because this place is about games and not about spelling nice like a classroom and like school its about dreamcast so we should just talk about dreamcast and not worry about spelling like a classroom thats all perfect because its hard to do and not every body comes here to be perfect they just come here to talk about stuff so thats what i think and come on butters three types of beer thats crazy. u kno?
zman
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by zman »

Provided Aboriginal Dictation Software for this forum and I'm in. Clicks and Pops are the answer.

Raise your hand if you actually know how to grammatically follow the American dialect.
Unless you took college classes in English. Please do not complain what can and can not be done properly. It's useless.
Ceeg
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Ceeg »

Sir Savant wrote:
Ceeg wrote:
|darc| wrote:

I was not going to respond until I saw that post.

If you don't care, why should any other member of the forum bother to read your posts? For that matter, why are you even posting? Would not your time be better spent doing something productive that you actually cared about?
I post because i want to if you don't want to read oh well, but like i said grammar on the internet isn't a big deal to me at all and if i don't spell something correctly or make a "proper" sentence oh well, guess what life goes on.
XtremeWRATH-360 Gamertag