Two Wii Questions

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
AuroEdge
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Two Wii Questions

Post by AuroEdge »

1.) My Wii has not suffered damage from WiiConnect24. Has anybody's done so?

2.) Are the rumors about a new Wii model in the future supporting DVD playback true?
"The only difference between the Democrats and the Republicans is
that the Democrats allow the poor to be corrupt, too." -Oscar Levant
Egotistical EvilN
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Re: Two Wii Questions

Post by Egotistical EvilN »

Second one is true, though I really couldn't care about it. I mean, I think I have too many DVD players already.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

My Wii has no suffered as a result of WiiConnect24, but it also hasn't been on since I got it either. WiiConnect24 may be on for a week, then I unplug it for a week then plug it in to play a game and disconnect when I'm done. So I'm probably not the best person to ask, but when it is on, it's fine.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

I haven't had any problems resulting from WiiConnect24, and mine's basically been on the whole time I've owned it (since release day, by the way).
Yonke
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Yonke »

my gf wii got artifacts thanxs to the heat of the wiiconect24, but change it for a new one thnxs to nintendo customer service......

do you think its there a way that the wii can play DVD movies from a future update , via software update ???
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

Nintendo stated they cannot simply do a software update. You need to buy the new model, is it confirmed to be coming out anywhere besides japan though?
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

I imagine the biggest problem would be a lack of Macrovision hardware, which is mandatory in all DVD players--though I would have thought that with the prevalence of cheap Far Eastern players that can disable it with a couple of button presses, they could make an exception just this once.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

There have been a few Chinese models that don't have macrovision at all. They're not too common though. There have also been a few cases of DVD players which have the hardware, but the BIOS that it shipped with has it disabled. Nobody seems to really care, probably because the days of people copying to VHS (the only thing Macrovision was really intended to prevent) are essentially over.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
AuroEdge
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by AuroEdge »

mrandyk wrote:Nintendo stated they cannot simply do a software update. You need to buy the new model, is it confirmed to be coming out anywhere besides japan though?
I'd like to think that it's possible on the drive still with the lack of Macrovision. Still, this is complete shortsightedness on Nintendo's part and alienates a good number of people from a significant feature.
"The only difference between the Democrats and the Republicans is
that the Democrats allow the poor to be corrupt, too." -Oscar Levant
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

AuroEdge wrote:
mrandyk wrote:Nintendo stated they cannot simply do a software update. You need to buy the new model, is it confirmed to be coming out anywhere besides japan though?
I'd like to think that it's possible on the drive still with the lack of Macrovision. Still, this is complete shortsightedness on Nintendo's part and alienates a good number of people from a significant feature.
Yes and no. I think it's unnecessary to include a DVD player on all disc based media in this day and age. DVD players are probably more common place than VCRs now. When I look at all the components I own that have DVD capabilities, it's kind of ridiculous. In my room alone I have more than four DVD players. Between my girlfriend and I, we probably have seven or eight.
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

It's more of a "why not?" feature, only costs about $20 for a license.
A few fries short of a happy meal.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

APE wrote:It's more of a "why not?" feature, only costs about $20 for a license.
They were originally going to have it like the Xbox's DVD capabilities, but it got canned for some reason.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

Lartrak wrote:
APE wrote:It's more of a "why not?" feature, only costs about $20 for a license.
They were originally going to have it like the Xbox's DVD capabilities, but it got canned for some reason.
To keep the price as low as possible Im sure, and keep their profit per system that much higher. They can also see it is very unecesary to include DVD playback when most people have at least one DVD player.

The inclusion of a DVD player wouldve really helped me out since the one in my room doesnt have a remote, so no selecting special features or anything I have to just push play and get whatever the thing is on (real pain in the ass for some dvds like my family guy where it is set on a certain episode and I cant select play all without a remote).
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container

Post by Lunchbox »

No damage from WiiConnect24 yet, but my Wii gets burning hot when its on standby/wiiConnect mode/whatever though and scares the shit out of me, so I'm not going to use it anymore. I turn it off completely now, which means my Wiimote's power button is 50% less useful :(
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

I couldn't care less about having the Wii play DVD's. In fact I imagine they probably wont' play them as well as the 360 or PS3 since its not really a HD system. I have found my 360 for some reason plays dvd's better then any other system.

I don't see people going out and buying the system again just to get this feature.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

Lunchbox wrote:No damage from WiiConnect24 yet, but my Wii gets burning hot when its on standby/wiiConnect mode/whatever though and scares the shit out of me, so I'm not going to use it anymore. I turn it off completely now, which means my Wiimote's power button is 50% less useful :(
Why dont you just turn wiiconnect24 off? Then just turn it back on when you want to go online with your wii.
Dew
Mayks now sents!
Mayks now sents!

Post by Dew »

mrandyk wrote:
Lunchbox wrote:No damage from WiiConnect24 yet, but my Wii gets burning hot when its on standby/wiiConnect mode/whatever though and scares the shit out of me, so I'm not going to use it anymore. I turn it off completely now, which means my Wiimote's power button is 50% less useful :(
Why dont you just turn wiiconnect24 off? Then just turn it back on when you want to go online with your wii.
Or just turn off Standby Connection. It will still go online you just gotta kickstart it with Internet Channel or Wii Shop.

I will say my first Wii heated up very badly when I had standby on. Nintendo replaced it and my new one still does it, just not nearly as badly. It seems to me it has something to do with the signal strength. At my mom's it barely heats up at all, since the router is right below the Wii. At my dorm, where the signal is pretty weak, it heats up much worse.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

I've had no Wii Connect 24 problems yet either, as for DVD playback I don't really care as back in the day when I had a PS2 I never really used it as my DVD collection seems to be a mix of PAL and NTSC discs. I just use my imac seen as it's right nex to my Wii.
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

Veggita2099 wrote:I have found my 360 for some reason plays dvd's better then any other system.

I agree, for some reason i would much rather watch a dvd on my 360. But only dvd's, if i'm going to watch stuff off of media center i'll just switch to component 1 on my tv run media center off my computer. (2 reasons, i dont think it looks/sounds as good, and i dont want to convert everything to a compatible format)

When i had my wii, i also turned off wiiconnect24. Never had any problems with it but it did get damn hot.
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

Veggita2099 wrote:I have found my 360 for some reason plays dvd's better then any other system.
It automatically upscales the signal. I've noticed it on a 50" LCD TV.