Opinions on this laptop

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
that_guy
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Opinions on this laptop

Post by that_guy »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... L:RTQ:US:1

I have been in contact with the guy and they are refurbs, but I need to know that with everything this offers, is it a good price? I am going to be using it for business but of course gaming and it will take the place of my current desktop. What does everyone think? Has anyone had any experience with this type of laptop also?
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Re: Opinions on this laptop

Post by SuperMegatron »

I think its over priced. If you want to see what this goes for search hp's refurb section on their website. I am sure this guy is making at least 200 on it.
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

For a refurb thats quite pricy.
A few fries short of a happy meal.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

I would say no just based on the 200 point font I had to read just to get a description. But seriously, the specs are nothing special for the price. Just watch some Sunday flyers and you will probably find a better deal, especially since we are at the time of year where companies will be slashing laptop prices for back-to-school.
JellyWarrior
General Jelly
General Jelly

Post by JellyWarrior »

For the price that they're asking it looks alright.

A few things I spotted:
Video card - Take note that 128MB of the 256MB graphics memory comes from system ram, giving you a total of 896MB of RAM should you wish to allocate 128MB to the graphics card.
CPU - Core Duo processors are fast and good but are also starting to show their age.
Battery life - 2 x 100GB Hard Drives will hammer your battery power, but with a 17" notebook they're not really built for portability anyhow.
Office - It's a 60 day trial

Centrino
Intel is about to release a major upgrade to the Centrino brand, and there is a good chance that all current Centrino notebook prices will fall sharply after that happens.

Its not a bad PC, make sure that you read some reviews, the price is compelling, but keep what I said above in mind, but if I were you, I'd wait till the major update to Centrino arrives in thenear future, you'll probably pick up a good Core 2 Duo notebook for a similar price.

Edit: Microsoft® Office Activation Wizard is apparently "productivity software", I suppose it does make MS Office more productive after the 60 day trial ends.
I am involved in : Mytalk | Comet TV | Distinctive Web Services
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

i wouldnt get that laptop myself

it is an OK machine, but there are a few nags for me
- 17" screen, way too large for a laptop imho, if you want a large screen on your desk, get a 15" laptop and an external 19" screen to hook it up to when at home
- core duo cpu, it is an OK cpu, but clocked at 1.66 and being only 32 bit, this is about the lowest end dual core laptop cpu you will find, i would at least try and find a core 2 duo, as they can run 64 bit software

im not aware of how the american market is, so i cant comment on prices, but these two points would be the biggest problems for me with this laptop
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

It's a laptop people, unless you plan on using it as a desktop replacement there really isn't a need for a CPU that is much more powerful than a 1.4ghz T-Bird. One of those coupled with a Radeon 7500 equivalent and you'd have a laptop capable of doing 99% of everything you want at a nice pace.
A few fries short of a happy meal.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

DaMadFiddler wrote:Ho-de-ho-hum...

O:-)
Of all people, I didn't expect you would be the one to break in with the Mac suggestion. :nono:
neoak
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by neoak »

I can get a better notebook for that price. :nono:
that_guy
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by that_guy »

A few things that are scaring me away from others that are lower priced is they all have Vista, which I will not upgrade to. The other thing is most of them have Intel Media Accelerator and I refuse to go with that as all reviews I have read say to stay away if you are going to do any kind of gaming. But DrFreeze has a point about it being a huge screen, because like I said earlier I will be using it for business and it's a lot of moving and traveling. But on the flip side of that, it is a huge screen and that makes my gaming more enjoyable.
JellyWarrior
General Jelly
General Jelly

Post by JellyWarrior »

If you are doing a lot of moving and travelling then beware, the 17" screen and the 2 x Hard Disks will suck the power something shocking.

Plus, the thing is going to be heavy, and a heavy laptop hurts your shoulder if you're moving it a lot.

Its a nice machine but might not be exactly what you want.
that_guy
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by that_guy »

Any good recommendations on a system with similar stats? Basically I want XP, a decent video card, a good size hdd, widescreen(just because), and I don't want to spend over $700.
JellyWarrior
General Jelly
General Jelly

Post by JellyWarrior »

I have an ASUS laptop that I am quite happy with, it's model # is F3Jm (although I believe that it is discontinued now).

Main specs:
2Ghz Core 2 Duo (4MB L2 cache), 1024MB ram DDR2 667 (I upped to 2048MB), 120GB SATA HDD, 512MB GeForce Go 7600, Win XP Pro

Of course I paid AU$2500 for it back in November of last year, so its a bit more expensive than yours.

I'd do some research for you, but I am having horrible connection issues at the moment (noise on my line), I loaded ebay, it's been 10 mins and I don't think the page is going to load, so sorry that I cant suggest anything else for you.
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

neoak wrote:

Right, but you can't get a better OS for that price :)
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
neoak
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by neoak »

MulletMan13 wrote:Right, but you can't get a better OS for that price :)
Well, i dont know. Even Windows ME didn't gave me problems (call it Voodoo magic if you want, but i only got 2 BSODs in ME, and that was because the PCI slot i was using for the soundcard was damaged), XP doesnt and Vista is like XP was in the beginning.

I tried MacOS X but you know thats a no-no regarding engineering apps and 99% of games.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

MulletMan13 wrote:
neoak wrote:

There is one key reason why I will never, ever own a Mac again; the elitism. My OS of choice is Windows. I really like Vista. But yet trying to say that to anyone at school, and I suddenly have 5-10 Mac owners jumping down my throat filling me with their propaganda. It seems like every single Mac argument always starts with, "Macs are better because they don't get viruses." I've never had a virus in my 5 years of using XP, but try to tell a Mac person that and they think I'm lying. I tell them I use Photoshop on my PC, its like the end of the world to them. The ignorance of the Mac users in my department is so high that I once had a professor dock a grade on a website I built because I worked on it at home on my PC and she believed that you could only use Dreamweaver on a Mac.

I don't mind OSX. I think Apple builds solid computers. It is just the people that use them that I have a problem with. It's like the people at school feel that since they just spent $1500 on a laptop, they now have the right to act like they are better than everyone else.
neoak
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by neoak »

melancholy wrote:There is one key reason why I will never, ever own a Mac again; the elitism. My OS of choice is Windows. I really like Vista. But yet trying to say that to anyone at school, and I suddenly have 5-10 Mac owners jumping down my throat filling me with their propaganda. It seems like every single Mac argument always starts with, "Macs are better because they don't get viruses." I've never had a virus in my 5 years of using XP, but try to tell a Mac person that and they think I'm lying. I tell them I use Photoshop on my PC, its like the end of the world to them. The ignorance of the Mac users in my department is so high that I once had a professor dock a grade on a website I built because I worked on it at home on my PC and she believed that you could only use Dreamweaver on a Mac.

I don't mind OSX. I think Apple builds solid computers. It is just the people that use them that I have a problem with. It's like the people at school feel that since they just spent $1500 on a laptop, they now have the right to act like they are better than everyone else.
I feel the same way too. Sure, Vista has its quirks, but its a lot more stable than what XP was in 2001.

One of my friends bought a Macbook Pro when they were new. However, he's pissed that Apple kept the same price while that model (the core duo with x1600) was alive, while other notebooks with the same specs reduced their price by 1/3. My brother bought an Asus laptop with better specs for 1300.

Another friend that has a Powerbook, is getting a laptop with very nice specs, and guess... Vista.

Before Apple had the PowerPC. Now, its just a normal PC with artificial limitations and a fucking too high price.
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

melancholy wrote:
MulletMan13 wrote:
neoak wrote:

There is one key reason why I will never, ever own a Mac again; the elitism. My OS of choice is Windows. I really like Vista. But yet trying to say that to anyone at school, and I suddenly have 5-10 Mac owners jumping down my throat filling me with their propaganda. It seems like every single Mac argument always starts with, "Macs are better because they don't get viruses." I've never had a virus in my 5 years of using XP, but try to tell a Mac person that and they think I'm lying. I tell them I use Photoshop on my PC, its like the end of the world to them. The ignorance of the Mac users in my department is so high that I once had a professor dock a grade on a website I built because I worked on it at home on my PC and she believed that you could only use Dreamweaver on a Mac.

I've personally never used the virus argument there... I generally just show people things that you can do, how easy things are to work with and let it all speak for itself. I really don't 'preach', I mean if somebody likes Windows... fine by me, that is their decision and its not my 'duty' to try and turn them.

Nevertheless this is also something I hate about PC users... the constant criticism that the hardware is overpriced, blah blah blah. Seriously, if it is my decision to spend a bit more and I feel it is worth it, then why criticize me? It seems the PC community criticizes the Mac community more than vica-versa. Sure, the Mac community is a bunch of smartasses, and make snide remarks, but they don't flat out call them idiots for buying ridiculously priced hardware. Hell, most Mac people I know respect others decisions and hardly care about what computers other people use, myself included.

This brings me to my point... opinions were asked about the laptop, possibly other suggestions to be thrown out there... and DMF just casually made a comment with a link to a Mac.... nothing saying that he was an idiot to go with a PC... it was a suggestion. The minute that suggestion came out, you jumped in there to make some sortof smartass comment... it wasn't DMF starting the 'argument', it was you. Although in your explanation for why you won't use a Mac is solid, and well thought out, your initial comment was elementary.

Allright I am done.

As for the OP: That looks like a solid laptop... I too thought 17" was wayyy too big, but I absolutely loved my 17" PowerBook. It was portable, and I loved the excess. The specs look good but I'd try to talk him down fifty dollars maybe... $640 shipped sounds like a good price for it. Hell, to me $700 looks like a good price, but to be honest I don't really know what other things are going for. Does it have any sort of warranty on it?
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
neoak
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by neoak »

I think we can agree that both sides whine too much :D