Recomend me TRPGs

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Zealous zerotype
zerotype
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Recomend me TRPGs

Post by Zealous zerotype »

Well, after beating FF:T I have been looking up a bunch of TRPGs a lot of them look really good, but are not in english :/. Basically, I am looking for the same kind of art style (iso metric 2D or with 3D fighters) and a good story. I already am going to try out disgaea, but I really wanna play some older ones on the PSX or snes. Also, a pretty good story would be nice and defnitly in english (or have english patch).
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God
Christuserloeser

Re: Recomend me TRPGs

Post by Christuserloeser »

Not SNES or PSX but Genesis: Shining Force, Shining Force 2, Shining Force CD. In exactly that order. These games are classics not to be missed.
A completed translation of Langrisser II has recently surfaced (it was finished for quite a while but finally has been re-released by NoPrgress in a real-hardware compatible format). I highly recommend this one.
There's also a hack of Warsong that reversed all names of SOA's English version to fit those of the original Langrisser game.

On Saturn, Dragon Force is kinda nice but the US version was pretty buggy (crashes!). There's a PAL version that's pretty much bug-free.
There's also part 1 of Shining Force III that's been released in the US. The game's fantastic, but the second and third part never were released outside of Japan. A patch is currently being worked on.

On the Nintendo consoles, Fire Emblem is fantastic. Shining Force more or less is a 1:1 copy of the original NES version. And: there's a new one coming to Wii. :)

HERE are some translations of SNES TRPGs to try out. Bahamut Lagoon by DeJap Translations, Tomato and Neill Corlett (yep, the guy who ported Beats of Rage to Dreamcast!) and Der Langrisser by byuu and D should be the ones to download first.

Other than that, I enjoyed Ogre Battle on SNES a lot. There's also a straight 1:1 port to PSX and both versions saw a release in the US.
Insane homebrew collector.
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Shining Force 1 and 2 are probably my favorite TRPGs ever, sadly they are for genesis and rare to come by. You can play them on emulators, but they are far better on the consolde itself.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

If you have a Wii, Shining Force just hit the VC.
TyBO
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by TyBO »

One that people might forget to mention is Advance Wars for GBA. It's a truly hardcore Tactical RPG; don't let the cartoonish look deceive you. The first game is among my favorite Game Boy games ever.
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

TyBO wrote:One that people might forget to mention is Advance Wars for GBA. It's a truly hardcore Tactical RPG; don't let the cartoonish look deceive you. The first game is among my favorite Game Boy games ever.
I have some great memories of that game, it was pretty much straight tactics (didn't reall y have an RPG element, but it was a damn good game). I've been making a list of games to play and so far it is looking like this

-Super Robot wars alpha (psx roughly translated)
-Front Mission 1 (snes)
-Tenchi (the TRPG on the snes)
-Jet Grind Radio (dc)
-Tactic Ogre (snes)
-Silent Hill (psx)
-Fire Emblem (havn't decided which one)
-Shining Force 1 (smash pack)
That is basically my list for now, I still havn't decided what order to play the games (might get the gba version of fire emblem so I can play when I'm away).

edit: Aftr looking at it I think I'm going to add Langrisser to the list as it looks like a pretty intrsting game.
DYTDMFBSB?
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Definitely add Shining Force 2 to the list. In my opinion, it was a much better game than the original. I enjoy games where I'm not constrained to a small area for the whole game. By the end of Shining Force 2, you can pretty much get anywhere in the game world with a little bit of effort. This is unlike the original Shining Force, where you're stuck to the area where the chapter you are working on is taking place (and unlike many other TRPGs, where you don't really get to walk around the world/towns at all).

Shining Force 2 can be a bit more difficult to find though, especially since it isn't on something like the Smash Pack.
politoe
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by politoe »

As mentioned Shing Force 1 and 2. And, why do you have Reaper as your avatar?
Stormwatch
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Stormwatch »

There's a translated ROM of Feda - Emblem of Justice for the SNES, search for it.
Lines join in faint discord and the Stormwatch brews
. . a concert of Kings as the white sea snaps
. . at the heels of a soft prayer
. . whispered
Christuserloeser

politoe wrote:And, why do you have Reaper as your avatar?
I tried to top my previous David Hasselhoff avatar.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Tactics Ogre?
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Joestar
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Joestar »

i'll throw in some suggestions...

Tactics Ogre: Let us cling together (Atlus, PSX)-
Being a predecessor of FFT, it's everything you would expect. Deep storyline and gameplay, statistics galore, jobs...the lot. Although i do think it's harder to pick up than FFT, and honestly this is probably the last game I wanna try out after FFT, it's too similiar and i'd be wanting to play something slightly different. Keep in your sights for later...

I don't think there's an english patch for the snes version, so this is the only english version.
TO.jpg
Vandal Hearts (Konami, PSX)-
Whenever I try to introduce someone to a T-RPG this is the first game that pops up. It doesn't have the depth of FFT, instead its old school gameplay like Shining Force with old school good vs. evil story. It's a lot of fun, the death scenes alone will make it all worthwile!
VH1.jpg
Front Mission 3 (Square, PSX)-
I thought this was excellent. The customisation of your mechs add so much depth to how you approach battles, you'll probably be thinking about it in your sleep. It sounds complicated, but i found it easy to pick up. Not to mention intriguing storylines*, great battle scenes, loads of sidequests and secrets. A worthy opponent for FFT.

*Early on you will need to make a decision in the story that will entirely change your fate! (i.e. there are two storylines :P)

You don't need to play the previous games to play FM3. It serves as an excellent introduction to the FM world, you may wanna try this before FM1
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Joestar wrote:i'll throw in some suggestions...

Tactics Ogre: Let us cling together (Atlus, PSX)-
Being a predecessor of FFT, it's everything you would expect. Deep storyline and gameplay, statistics galore, jobs...the lot. Although i do think it's harder to pick up than FFT, and honestly this is probably the last game I wanna try out after FFT, it's too similiar and i'd be wanting to play something slightly different. Keep in your sights for later...

I don't think there's an english patch for the snes version, so this is the only english version.
TO.jpg
Vandal Hearts (Konami, PSX)-
Whenever I try to introduce someone to a T-RPG this is the first game that pops up. It doesn't have the depth of FFT, instead its old school gameplay like Shining Force with old school good vs. evil story. It's a lot of fun, the death scenes alone will make it all worthwile!
VH1.jpg
Front Mission 3 (Square, PSX)-
I thought this was excellent. The customisation of your mechs add so much depth to how you approach battles, you'll probably be thinking about it in your sleep. It sounds complicated, but i found it easy to pick up. Not to mention intriguing storylines*, great battle scenes, loads of sidequests and secrets. A worthy opponent for FFT.

*Early on you will need to make a decision in the story that will entirely change your fate! (i.e. there are two storylines :P)

You don't need to play the previous games to play FM3. It serves as an excellent introduction to the FM world, you may wanna try this before FM1
Thanks for the pics and such. I might actually start with SH2 instead of SH1. I'm playing t ogre on the gab right now, but I think I might like the psx version better than the handheld. I also picked up Front Mission 3 the other day, but I think I'll start with the first one. I've heard a lot of talk about Vandal Hearts, I might just have to check that one out. Thanks for all the recommendations so far.
DYTDMFBSB?
politoe
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by politoe »

Christuserloeser wrote:
politoe wrote:And, why do you have Reaper as your avatar?
I tried to top my previous David Hasselhoff avatar.
That's all bad. :lol:
Christuserloeser

Zealous zerotype wrote:-Shining Force 1 (smash pack)
You mean via Sega's emu for Dreamcast ? It should work perfectly via BlackAura's GenesisPlusDC (incl. VMU support) or Gens/Kega on Windows. Smash Pack's sound emulation is creepy.
BlueCrab wrote:Definitely add Shining Force 2 to the list. In my opinion, it was a much better game than the original.
It's a great game, yeah. Is it better than the first Shining Force ? No. - Is it as good as the first SF ? Yes, it is. However, they really should be played in order of their releases: SF1, SF2, SFCD; otherwise you'd miss a lot of hints on the first game's story in SF2/CD.
MapleBuster
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by MapleBuster »

Zealous zerotype wrote:Well, after beating FF:T I have been looking up a bunch of TRPGs a lot of them look really good, but are not in english :/. Basically, I am looking for the same kind of art style (iso metric 2D or with 3D fighters) and a good story. I already am going to try out disgaea, but I really wanna play some older ones on the PSX or snes. Also, a pretty good story would be nice and defnitly in english (or have english patch).

La Pucelle and Dynasty Tactics 1&2 should be on your list once you've finished Disgea 1&2 on ps2.
henzenmann
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by henzenmann »

One of my favourites on PC: Jagged Alliance 2
segajoel
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by segajoel »

Black Matrix (for Saturn and Dreamcast) is a good choice. 8-)
XBOX 360 Gamercard:
SEGA DREAMCAST Gamercard:
Mazamitla 360°
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

If you have a GBA or a DS, I'm looking to get rid of a copy of Rebelstar: Tactical Command...
politoe
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by politoe »

how 'bout Hoshigami, it recently got a re-release on the DS.