Proposal for a spelling and grammar rule

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Proposal for a spelling and grammar rule

Post by butters »

I think it would be in all of our interests if we were to instate a basic spelling and grammar rule. Both Firefox and Opera have built-in spelling checkers, and IE users can run their posts through Word. As far as grammar goes, surely everyone can make the effort to capitalize the first words of their sentences and put punctuation in. There's just no point anymore in seeing rambling like a ten year old on AIM on these forums. Thoughts?
CupNoodle
Jim Dandy!

Re: Proposal for a spelling and grammar rule

Post by CupNoodle »

butters wrote:There's just no point anymore in seeing rambling like a ten year old on AIM on these forums. Thoughts?
Why make it a rule? We already have a foe button.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover

Post by butters »

CupNoodle wrote:
butters wrote:There's just no point anymore in seeing rambling like a ten year old on AIM on these forums. Thoughts?
Why make it a rule? We already have a foe button.
I got the idea from another forum where I lurk.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I installed 2 different British English dictionaries for Firefox and neither one seems to work, so I've given up with their spellcheck feature. I despise anything that marks "colour" as wrong. :P

Still, don't we have this as an unwritten rule anyway? Anybody who posts like an idiot usually becomes the new whipping-boy until they eventually give up and leave. Surely that's punishment enough? :D
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Code-Red »

The point being? So you can add charm to this old, decrepit forum.... possibly make it more au couture?

Ridiculous. I may have agreed with the implementation of the obscenity filter years ago (I'm glad its removed now), but this is downright pompous. If you want proper spelling and grammar, http://www.writingforums.org/. Else, live with it. Its the god damn internet, not a Society Club.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

BoneyCork wrote:I installed 2 different British English dictionaries for Firefox and neither one seems to work, so I've given up with their spellcheck feature. I despise anything that marks "colour" as wrong. :P

Still, don't we have this as an unwritten rule anyway? Anybody who posts like an idiot usually becomes the new whipping-boy until they eventually give up and leave. Surely that's punishment enough? :D
The one that annoys me is how many times I get "theatre" marked as wrong. Both spellings are widely used in America (no idea about the UK)... If anything, "theatre" is actually more common than "theater" - most of the cinemas spell it that way, for example.

The one rule I want to see is punctuation and paragraph breaks. I can live with moderately bad spelling.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Hasney wrote:While one does believe that a forum such as this would be better served as an articulate counter-point to current pop-culture trends such as the often lauded 'Sony Playstation Three' or the 'XBox Three-hundred-and-sixty', one does also have to consider the rammifications to an already dwindiling user base if the average cretin had to ponder on each individual post.

Alas, the one known as Hasney would have to reject such musings as poppycock and accept that they will never reach the grammatical and intellectual nirvana as the aforementioned Hasney has invariably consummated in his postings to this cesspit of low-brow humor and nonsense of games on video.

In closing, I would like to motion for a fuck no to this wonderful sounding conception so that we may accept our lessers.

I do hope one absorbs the knowlege within this wonderful soliloquy of ramblings.

Yours Faithfully,
Hasney

:guffaw: Agreed completely.
It's thinking...
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover

Post by butters »

Hey, it was just an idea. I learned a long time ago that nobody here cares what I think.
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

Ive found myself getting more grammatical with my internet talking. Periods, capital letters, and commas. Looking back at my original posts here there is a huge difference, even going back a few months ago there is a big difference. I even find myself sometimes typing with capital letters and periods in IM programs :o
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

There are only a handful of posters that such a rule would even affect, and even then those people are typically non-native english speakers. A grammar rule would be more likely to alienate people than to benefit this forum.
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

BoneyCork wrote:I installed 2 different British English dictionaries for Firefox and neither one seems to work, so I've given up with their spellcheck feature. I despise anything that marks "colour" as wrong. :P

I have British English Dictionary 1.19 installed and it works perfectly. I probably need to update it though.
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

I have British English Dictionary 1.19 installed and it works perfectly. I probably need to update it though.
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

butters wrote:Both Firefox and Opera have built-in spelling checkers,
yes, but as English isn't my first language, i refuse to have Firefox check my spelling, either i am writing something in my native language, and everything gets flagged as wrong, or i'm writing in English and everything gets flagged

the idea of built in spell checking is nice, but not if you switch languages as easy as browsing tabs
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

There's also a crapload of slang that gets flagged. Like crapload for example.
AgentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen

Post by AgentGreen »

As grammatically inclined as I am, I think that's just preposterous and makes a lot of unnecessary work for moderators. I've been to other forums and even our WORST posters are no match for the stupid English mistakes I've seen. I've seen omitted letters and misuses of "there" that would make you cringe! :o
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

At first I thought this was a Null topic, but I'm surprised to see that this is a serious thread.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
RMD
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by RMD »

Lame ass elitist rule. Especially for non native speaking persons. If you want it so bad put a auto spell checker in the forums like other message boards have.
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

melancholy wrote:There are only a handful of posters that such a rule would even affect, and even then those people are typically non-native english speakers. A grammar rule would be more likely to alienate people than to benefit this forum.
I'm staring straight at Juan.
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
Pyrite
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Pyrite »

A spell-checker won't fix the *then/than that most seem to confuse. I simply skip posts that don't get this right, if spelling mistakes are such a bother to you skip them as well.

*Most of the time it's "THAN" what you want to use not then.
THAN/THEN get it right peoples!
Ceeg
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Ceeg »

I didn't realize people cared so greatly about grammar on the internet. :roll:
XtremeWRATH-360 Gamertag