U.K. schoolgirl loses 'virginity ring' court battle

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

U.K. schoolgirl loses 'virginity ring' court battle

Post by Roofus »

A teenager whose teachers had stopped her wearing a “purity ring” at school to symbolize her commitment to virginity has lost a High Court fight against the ban.

Lydia Playfoot, 16, says her silver ring is an expression of her faith and had argued in court that it should be exempt from school regulations banning the wearing of jewelry.

“I am very disappointed by the decision this morning by the High Court not to allow me to wear my purity ring to school as an expression of my Christian faith not to have sex outside marriage,” Playfoot said in a statement Monday.

“I believe that the judge’s decision will mean that slowly, over time, people such as school governors, employers, political organizations and others will be allowed to stop Christians from publicly expressing and practicing their faith.”

Playfoot’s legal challenge was the latest in a series of disputes in British schools in recent years over the right of pupils to wear religious symbols or clothing, such as crucifixes and veils.

Last year, the Law Lords rejected Shabina Begum’s appeal for permission to wear a Muslim gown at her school in Luton. That case echoed a debate in France over the banning of Muslim headscarves in state schools.

Playfoot’s parents are key members of the British arm of the American chastity campaign group the Silver Ring Thing, a religious group which urges abstinence among young people.

Those who sign up wear a ring on the third finger of the left hand. It is inscribed with “Thess. 4:3-4,” a reference to a Biblical passage from Thessalonians which reads: “God wants you to be holy, so you should keep clear of all sexual sin.”

During the case, Playfoot’s lawyers argued that the ban by her school in Horsham, West Sussex, breached her human rights to “freedom of thought, conscience and religion” which are protected by the European Convention on Human Rights.

Link
AgentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen

Re: U.K. schoolgirl loses 'virginity ring' court battle

Post by AgentGreen »

Roofus wrote:A teenager whose teachers had stopped her wearing a “purity ring” at school to symbolize her commitment to virginity has lost a High Court fight against the ban.

Lydia Playfoot, 16, says her silver ring is an expression of her faith and had argued in court that it should be exempt from school regulations banning the wearing of jewelry.

“I am very disappointed by the decision this morning by the High Court not to allow me to wear my purity ring to school as an expression of my Christian faith not to have sex outside marriage,” Playfoot said in a statement Monday.

“I believe that the judge’s decision will mean that slowly, over time, people such as school governors, employers, political organizations and others will be allowed to stop Christians from publicly expressing and practicing their faith.”

Playfoot’s legal challenge was the latest in a series of disputes in British schools in recent years over the right of pupils to wear religious symbols or clothing, such as crucifixes and veils.

Last year, the Law Lords rejected Shabina Begum’s appeal for permission to wear a Muslim gown at her school in Luton. That case echoed a debate in France over the banning of Muslim headscarves in state schools.

Playfoot’s parents are key members of the British arm of the American chastity campaign group the Silver Ring Thing, a religious group which urges abstinence among young people.

Those who sign up wear a ring on the third finger of the left hand. It is inscribed with “Thess. 4:3-4,” a reference to a Biblical passage from Thessalonians which reads: “God wants you to be holy, so you should keep clear of all sexual sin.”

During the case, Playfoot’s lawyers argued that the ban by her school in Horsham, West Sussex, breached her human rights to “freedom of thought, conscience and religion” which are protected by the European Convention on Human Rights.

Link
Since when do you need a ring to commit to virginity?
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

AgentGreen wrote:
Roofus wrote:A teenager whose teachers had stopped her wearing a “purity ring” at school to symbolize her commitment to virginity has lost a High Court fight against the ban.

Link
Since when do you need a ring to commit to virginity?
It's to remind yourself. Like a piece of red string.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

I believe that the judge’s decision will mean that slowly, over time, people such as school governors, employers, political organizations and others will be allowed to stop Christians from publicly expressing and practicing their faith.
This kind of rhetoric really gets under my skin when people aren't actually addressing religious discrimination. As far as the article provides (and as far as I've been able to gather from other sources), there is no special ban on Christian jewelery; it's a ban on students wearing jewelery in general. In fact, the lawyers for the school said that exceptions to the uniform policy are made for articles that are required by or otherwise integral to religious beliefs (e.g. headscarves for Muslims, crucifixes for Christians). Overall, I do think that this policy results in de-facto religious discrimination, but mostly against any religion or sect whose beliefs - unlike Christianity - aren't recognized by the administration. Inasmuch as school officials shouldn't get to be arbiters of which religious beliefs are valid, the policy should probably be scrapped altogether. Still, given the fact that crucifixes are explicitly allowed, I think it's ridiculous to suggest that this is somehow the first step on the slippery slope to the total oppression of Christians.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster

Post by jaredfogle »

Not fucking is pretty hard.

I would be pissed if they tried to take my symbol/trinket/holy ring that had been helping me not fuck.

Of course, you're not supposed to be fucking in school, so she could just take it off for part of the day.
Where's toastman? I'm bored.
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

jaredfogle wrote:Of course, you're not supposed to be fucking in school, so she could just take it off for part of the day.
Exactly, how many people are fucking during school that you need a ring?
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

mrandyk wrote:
jaredfogle wrote:Of course, you're not supposed to be fucking in school, so she could just take it off for part of the day.
Exactly, how many people are fucking during school that you need a ring?
Probably more than you'd think, at least on school grounds.
A few fries short of a happy meal.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

when you join a school in the uk your parents sign a contract that they and you adhere to the rules of the school, if you don't like them go to a different school.

It's all shitty one-upmanship because muslims have been getting exceptions from school rules wearing burkhas (sp?). People wanting to make political statements like this do nothing for their causes because it makes religious groups look like they're trying to out-do eachother.

She doesn't need the ring.
Heck from a biblical standpoint, Jesus said specifically not to make these kind of public demonstrations as they're the work of hypocrites.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

What use is a virgin ring once it's penetrated with a finger?
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

It advertises that she's open for ear sex?
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

It's sad they have nothing better to do then sit in court and fight about a girl wearing a ring. Just let her wear the fucking ring, if she jabs somebody's eye out with it then ok, by all means take her to court. But until then get a life.
nogginthenog
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by nogginthenog »

Calavera wrote:It's sad they have nothing better to do then sit in court and fight about a girl wearing a ring. Just let her wear the fucking ring, if she jabs somebody's eye out with it then ok, by all means take her to court. But until then get a life.
My thoughts exactly. How much money was wasted on this case I wonder?
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

Calavera wrote:It's sad they have nothing better to do then sit in court and fight about a girl wearing a ring. Just let her wear the fucking ring, if she jabs somebody's eye out with it then ok, by all means take her to court. But until then get a life.
I think it's sad that the girl has nothing better to do than sit in court and fight about not being allowed to wear a ring. Just follow the fucking dress code. If it becomes central to the core tenets of Christianity, then by all means take them to court. But until then, she should just get a life.

Fucking people looking for fucking special exemptions to non-discriminatory practices.
No signature.
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

not just souLLy now wrote:when you join a school in the uk your parents sign a contract that they and you adhere to the rules of the school, if you don't like them go to a different school.

It's all shitty one-upmanship because muslims have been getting exceptions from school rules wearing burkhas (sp?). People wanting to make political statements like this do nothing for their causes because it makes religious groups look like they're trying to out-do eachother.

She doesn't need the ring.
Heck from a biblical standpoint, Jesus said specifically not to make these kind of public demonstrations as they're the work of hypocrites.
quoted for truth.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

toastman wrote:
I think it's sad that the girl has nothing better to do than sit in court and fight about not being allowed to wear a ring. Just follow the fucking dress code. If it becomes central to the core tenets of Christianity, then by all means take them to court. But until then, she should just get a life.

Fucking people looking for fucking special exemptions to non-discriminatory practices.
Exactly.
It's thinking...
Cid Highwind
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Cid Highwind »

toastman wrote:

I couldn't agree more. If she wants it close to her that badly she should've went with a piercing down below to remind her. I doubt they'll ask her to take off out of those :wink:
You feel at ease as you flock with the masses,
What do you see with your heads in their asses?
Keep on railing at what I believe,
Call me insane and I am proud to be.

--Edguy - King of Fools--

My blog
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Code-Red »

Take your fucking religion elsewhere bitch. If I wanted to hear/see religion I'd go to a Church, as I don't need your annoying cult pestering me in public, thanks.

- CodeRed
AgentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen

Post by AgentGreen »

not just souLLy now wrote: Heck from a biblical standpoint, Jesus said specifically not to make these kind of public demonstrations as they're the work of hypocrites.
Can you tell me where it is he says that? Not doubting you, I'd just like to point it out to a bunch of bible thumpers on campus that should really be shown it :lol:
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

AgentGreen wrote:
not just souLLy now wrote: Heck from a biblical standpoint, Jesus said specifically not to make these kind of public demonstrations as they're the work of hypocrites.
Can you tell me where it is he says that? Not doubting you, I'd just like to point it out to a bunch of bible thumpers on campus that should really be shown it :lol:
I'm not sure it literally applies to this situation, but it's in the first verses of Matthew 6.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Roofus

Post by Roofus »

Matthew 6:1-4 wrote:Be careful not to do your 'acts of righteousness' before men, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven. So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.