iPod Issues

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

iPod Issues

Post by Luriden »

My cousin's iPod is acting up.

Last night, I copied several albums to his iPod and it was working fine. It's a 20gb 3rd gen iPod. In iTunes, with the iPod plugged in, I even listened to several songs from the albums I copied over by clicking them in iTunes. I hadn't tried listening to them on the iPod itself with it unplugged.

I gave it back to my cousin and he left. He said the albums I copied over weren't on it, and when he tried to play a song that he DID have, he now gets one of these:

He brought it back over and I looked at it myself. It flops back and forth between the Apple logo for a minute, then goes to the folder icon and back to the Apple icon again. I plugged it into my computer to do a restore, but it doesn't detect it long enough to do so. It will detect it for a second, display the "no" symbol with "Do not disconnect" and it'll show up in My Computer, and vanish before I can do anything to it while going back to the Apple logo. Then it appears again and acts like I just plugged it in, then acts like I unplugged it. Resetting it by holding center and up does nothing but send it back to the Apple logo to continue the cycle. I tried holding the center and down buttons to put it in disk mode, but when I plug it back in it starts the cycle all over again. I can also hear the hard drive going crazy the whole time, spinning really fast and then slowing down over and over.

Not sure what to do with it. Any tips? Is this a hardware or software problem? Or both?
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Re: iPod Issues

Post by MulletMan13 »

If the five R's don't do a damn thing its a hardware problem, more than likely spawning from the hard drive.

Do a complete format with Windows/Mac then restore it... if that doesnt do anything, hit it really hard on its side against a table and that will more than likely temporarily fix it (sounds scary but it works very well).
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

MulletMan13 wrote:If the five R's don't do a damn thing its a hardware problem, more than likely spawning from the hard drive.

Do a complete format with Windows/Mac then restore it... if that doesnt do anything, hit it really hard on its side against a table and that will more than likely temporarily fix it (sounds scary but it works very well).
Hitting it fixed it. I think the hard drive is going out. Thanks.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

Well now. I told my cousin that the iPod is going dead, and he asked me to do a backup to my computer with Anapod so when he buys another iPod next month he can just copy everything onto it. In the process of copying, it came up and told me that the iPod got disconnected, though My Computer still showed it being plugged in. I guess the hard drive fucked up for a second. Well after that happened, the database got corrupt. I'm doing a restore now.
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

He doesnt have his music on his computer to resync it? And restoring it is going to wipe it clean...
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

MulletMan13 wrote:He doesnt have his music on his computer to resync it? And restoring it is going to wipe it clean...
No, he doesn't have a computer. His computer got stolen. It's set to manual sync, and when there's songs he wants he makes a big list and then downloads them to it when he has access to a computer. The songs weren't backed up anywhere so that's what I was trying to do when it failed.
S. Thompson
The Fuzmeister
The Fuzmeister

Post by S. Thompson »

My ipod started giving me the sad face on Friday. Clicking too.

:(

- Fuzmeister
gRiMgRaVy014
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by gRiMgRaVy014 »

Has anyone heard of the ( I think ) 4th generation ipod nano getting problems with the screen? I have two friends where half of the screen just died.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

Okay, so I'm having more problems. The iPod boots fine, I can browse the menus, play games, etc. However, when I plug it into my computer, iTunes tells me the database is corrupt and I need to restore. But when I restore, it does the same thing. I tried formatting it in My Computer and it gets stuck at 0%. Sometimes when I right click it in My Computer, it freezes My Computer for a few minutes. I'm not sure why the PC is having problems with it when I can browse and play games fine on it.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

Luriden wrote:Okay, so I'm having more problems. The iPod boots fine, I can browse the menus, play games, etc. However, when I plug it into my computer, iTunes tells me the database is corrupt and I need to restore. But when I restore, it does the same thing. I tried formatting it in My Computer and it gets stuck at 0%. Sometimes when I right click it in My Computer, it freezes My Computer for a few minutes. I'm not sure why the PC is having problems with it when I can browse and play games fine on it.
Try a linux disk and see if you can format from there...
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

I just tried that with Knoppix. I can't figure Linux out, I couldn't get to where I could format it and the internet wasn't working. :lol:
Hawke
Wastelander

Post by Hawke »

Flash it with Rockbox!

...sorry, I just really like Rockbox...
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

Luriden wrote:I just tried that with Knoppix. I can't figure Linux out, I couldn't get to where I could format it and the internet wasn't working. :lol:
In Knoppix, go to the Menu and search around for "GParted". You should be able to see any attached devices in there and be able to format them. Make sure you are formatting the right thing!

You don't need internet really for this.
Hawke wrote:Flash it with Rockbox!

...sorry, I just really like Rockbox...
He'd need to format it first. I do, however, agree with you.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

Knoppix doesn't have GParted, but instead QTParted. However, when I click the iPod on the list, the format option is greyed out. I click make new partition and it says it was unable to five seconds later.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

Well now it's working for some reason. After the Linux attempt, I brought Windows Vista back up, plugged it in, and iTunes asked me what to name the iPod and synced it just fine. Either Linux did something to it and lied telling me it couldn't, or the iPod is just weird and works when it wants to. Either way, I'm going to copy my cousin's songs to it and leave it alone. He plans on getting a newer one soon anyway, so I'm just going to load it up with stuff to get by on till then.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

Luriden wrote:Well now it's working for some reason. After the Linux attempt, I brought Windows Vista back up, plugged it in, and iTunes asked me what to name the iPod and synced it just fine. Either Linux did something to it and lied telling me it couldn't, or the iPod is just weird and works when it wants to. Either way, I'm going to copy my cousin's songs to it and leave it alone. He plans on getting a newer one soon anyway, so I'm just going to load it up with stuff to get by on till then.
Can I have it for having helped you?
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

Sir Savant wrote:
Luriden wrote:Well now it's working for some reason. After the Linux attempt, I brought Windows Vista back up, plugged it in, and iTunes asked me what to name the iPod and synced it just fine. Either Linux did something to it and lied telling me it couldn't, or the iPod is just weird and works when it wants to. Either way, I'm going to copy my cousin's songs to it and leave it alone. He plans on getting a newer one soon anyway, so I'm just going to load it up with stuff to get by on till then.
Can I have it for having helped you?
Ask my cousin. :P