Online Homebrew ?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
phisejr
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Online Homebrew ?

Post by phisejr »

is there any online homebrew games ? and if there is whay are they ?
Christuserloeser

Re: Online Homebrew ?

Post by Christuserloeser »

viewforum.php?f=60 and dcplaya
Insane homebrew collector.
phisejr
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by phisejr »

LOL this game is a joke man its never comming out. Dont mean to be rude, just looks like its not going anywhere
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

phisejr wrote:LOL this game is a joke man its never comming out. Dont mean to be rude, just looks like its not going anywhere
Well, I can see how you'd think that, but consider what I've had to do to get this all working:

1. I had to write a cross-platform library that makes it so that the game can actually run on the Dreamcast as well as it does on Mac OS X, Linux, and Windows
2. I had to basically scrap what little networking code KallistiOS had built-in.
3. Without ANY help from anyone else, I implemented IPv4, ICMP, and UDP on top of KallistiOS.
4. I had to implement a sockets interface for KallistiOS, so as not to have large tracts of glue code to make this networking work with DCRPG.
5. I had to implement the Point-to-point protocol on KallistiOS. Just in case you don't know, the Point-to-point protocol is what makes dial-up internet work, and believe me, its standards documents are no easy breeze to read and understand. Even understanding the standards doesn't always help much, since some ISPs don't know how to follow those standards to start with.
6. I had to (recently) begin implementing TCP on top of KallistiOS.

And guess what, I'm the only programmer working on DCRPG at the moment. I've had little to no help, and yet people can't have a little bit of understanding? I don't have my entire life to devote to writing this program. I have a full-time job, and I'm a student. What little time I have left after all that is devoted to one of three things:
1. Sleeping/eating
2. Playing a game every once in a while
3. Programming

In all honesty, I sometimes doubt that people understand all the crap I've had to go through to try to make DCRPG work. Every time I read one of these posts that says basically "oh look, dcrpg is never coming out" I always want to explode. I've put up with these posts for far too long, and frankly I'm tired of it. If people would rather I never updated them about the status of DCRPG, fine, I won't. I won't post anything else about DCRPG until its done, if that's the way the world wants it. I frankly couldn't care less. I figure it helps keep people interested to know that I'm still working on it (no matter how alone I am).

I want to prove people wrong, I want to show people what is actually possible on the Dreamcast. I'm a perfectionist, and perfection takes time. Getting anything working right takes time when you have to start with nothing.

With that, I'm going back to my programming. I hope that you people appreciate what I've gone through, and all the time I've had to sacrifice to make DCRPG what it is, and will be.

And to everyone who has supported DCRPG through thick and thin, I appreciate it. Honestly, what little support I get these days is what keeps me going on the project, even though I'm pretty much alone on it now.
Christuserloeser

Edited.
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

phisejr wrote:LOL this game is a joke man its never comming out. Dont mean to be rude, just looks like its not going anywhere
You should never say that to any homebrew devoloper, especially since they do it for you without asking anything in return.
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

As opposed to all of your meaningful contributions over the years.
No signature.
Salamander2
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Salamander2 »

Go ahead BlueCrab.
as an ex-MSX programmer,
i understand the things that moves you.
cheers.
"...they are carrying the last hope: to save planet Gradius...on their wings..."
GRADIUS TRIBUTE for Dreamcast!
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

bluecrab pwns!

Thanks for all the crap you have put up with over the years. You are one of the few dedicated DC devs left. Keep doing what ya love man. I look forward to any project that you release.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Christuserloeser

Same here, same here. :)